Trade and Free Agency rumours

Nascent

11 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

This is the most boring rumour thread since 2008.

Anyone one want to hear what I know?  I don't want to trigger any of the mega DL snowflakes so here is your chance to block me if you dont want to hear what I have to say.  Block dont abuse.

Let's hear it. 

Ignore the haters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not a fan of Melksham by any means, but the reason for retaining him is quite simple:

Between main and rookie list we will probably and have lost :

M.Brown, Rosman, Daw, Baker, and Jackson.  That is 5 list spots already, and we will in all likelihood get 2 draft picks for Jackson.

We don't know what Bedford and Chandler will do, but if they were to go, then probably more draft picks.

Even with 5 picks, that means our 5th pick is pick 90 at the earliest.  If Melksham is delisted another draft spot, then that becomes pick 108.

Is Melksham better than a speculative pick 90? One would have to think so. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

Confirming some news and giving the snowflakes enough opportunity to block me. I am hearing a bit of stir.  We certainly have targets outside of Grundy.  Grundy a cert.

Like who? What round pick for Grundy?

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

Confirming some news and giving the snowflakes enough opportunity to block me. I am hearing a bit of stir.  We certainly have targets outside of Grundy.  Grundy a cert.

Come on mate, I've defended you a few times, but this doesn't help your cause a lot.

Perhaps lose the snowflake bit and give us something here? Pretty obvious more than Grundy will happen, there's already threads on this board for players we've been linked to in the media.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Brisbane have Will Ashcroft F/S who Cal Twomey rates at pick 1 (3000 pts / 2400 to match) and Jaspa Fletcher F/S rated at pick 16 (1067 pts / 854 to match).  That means they need 3254 points to match.

They currently have (subject to this weekend's results) 15 (1112 pts), 33 (563), 44 (362), 69 (49) = 2086. Absolute best case scenario they'll get end of 1st round compensation for McStay (948), but it could easily be 2nd round compensation (542).  They're going to be way short of points either way.

It would be nice to get our hands on 15 in a pick swap, let's say they get the 948 for McStay, that gives them 3034 and still leaves them 220 short.  That means they need 1332 for pick 15 (1112) to make up the deficit.

We currently have 32 (584), 41 (412), 50 (273) and 63 (112) = 1381 and if we traded all them for 15 to Brisbane it would bridge their gap but I think the AFL require Brisbane to have sufficient list vacancies for the picks so that could be difficult.

Edited by old55
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

Don’t let the snowflakes stop you from posting I like hearing your info, let’s hear more please 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Not a fan of Melksham by any means, but the reason for retaining him is quite simple:

Between main and rookie list we will probably and have lost :

M.Brown, Rosman, Daw, Baker, and Jackson.  That is 5 list spots already, and we will in all likelihood get 2 draft picks for Jackson.

We don't know what Bedford and Chandler will do, but if they were to go, then probably more draft picks.

Even with 5 picks, that means our 5th pick is pick 90 at the earliest.  If Melksham is delisted another draft spot, then that becomes pick 108.

Is Melksham better than a speculative pick 90? One would have to think so. 

Its not just a choice of Melksham or pick 90 though. There are other options out there. Sometimes it's worth taking a punt on a delisted free agent.

It doesnt look like anything has been officially announced so maybe there is still a bit to work through.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Axis of Bob said:

He's played over 200 games already, so you should probably have had a bit more doubt.

Melksham is an experienced role player who can play a wide variety of roles and clearly follows the coach's instructions very well. He came into the side this year and did an excellent negating role on opposition intercept players and won us a game as well. He'll be very low cost, content to play VFL, provide leadership and provides decent cover if things hit the fan. He'll also be an easy delist at the end of next year, which could be important when the alternative would be on a two year contract.

I can see why you'd keep him and see why you'd let him go. But overall the difference between those options is kind of whatever.

Sorry, I read a post about father son and got tangled about how many games it needed.

Anyway, as we were @Grand New Flag?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, old55 said:

Brisbane have Will Ashcroft F/S who Cal Twomey rates at pick 1 (3000 pts / 2400 to match) and Jaspa Fletcher F/S rated at pick 16 (1067 pts / 854 to match).  That means they need 3254 points to match.

They currently have (subject to this weekend's results) 15 (1112 pts), 33 (563), 44 (362), 69 (49) = 2086. Absolute best case scenario they'll get end of 1st round compensation for McStay (948), but it could easily be 2nd round compensation (542).  They're going to be way short of points either way.

It would be nice to get our hands on 15 in a pick swap, let's say they get the 948 for McStay, that gives them 3034 and still leaves them 220 short.  That means they need 1332 for pick 15 (1112) to make up the deficit.

We currently have 32 (584), 41 (412), 50 (273) and 63 (112) = 1381 and if we traded all them for 15 to Brisbane it would bridge their gap but I think the AFL require Brisbane to have sufficient list vacancies for the picks so that could be difficult.

Re the last para.  AFL changed the rule of picks=list spots for covid affected 2020.  Unfortunately they didn't change it back last year and has greatly advantaged the F/S and Academy clubs, namely Bulldogs. Saints and Sydney.  Terrible loophole they should close.  Brisbane will cash out #15 for later picks, for sure.

Brisbane can go into points deficit to get their F/S this year and their first 2023 pick drops down the order by the 2022 points shortfall.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Re the last para.  AFL changed the rule of picks=list spots for covid affected 2020.  Unfortunately they didn't change it back last year and has greatly advantaged the F/S and Academy clubs, namely Bulldogs. Saints and Sydney.  Terrible loophole they should close.  Brisbane will cash out #15 for later picks, for sure.

Brisbane can go into points deficit to get their F/S this year and their first 2023 pick drops down the order by the 2022 points shortfall.

Edit:  Forgot to mention.  They get a 20% points discount.

OK well that's helpful for us because we could cover their deficit with our 4 picks.  My numbers include the 20% discount.

That's all our picks gone for 15 but we'll  get some back for Jackson and some player trades like Toby Bedford, Adam Tomlinson and possibly FA compensation for Jayden - we've offered him 2 years, surely someone else will offer 3 or more.  Probably 3rd rounders for all of them.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, old55 said:

OK well that's helpful for us because we could cover their deficit with our 4 picks.  My numbers include the 20% discount.

That's all our picks gone for 15 but we'll  get some back for Jackson and some player trades like Toby Bedford, Adam Tomlinson and possibly FA compensation for Jayden - we've offered him 2 years, surely someone else will offer 3 or more.  Probably 3rd rounders for all of them.

Oh, I didn't realise the 20% was in.  I will edit my post.

We could offer them our picks 41, 50, 63, 68 for their pick 34 immediately increasing their points tally.  Maybe get a future pick back.  After all JT doesn't often use picks > than 40ish.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Grand New Flag said:

This is the most boring rumour thread since 2008.

Anyone one want to hear what I know?  I don't want to trigger any of the mega DL snowflakes so here is your chance to block me if you dont want to hear what I have to say.  Block dont abuse.

If I remember correctly, your last rumour post was very boring and predictable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grand New Flag said:

GNF In the past I have welcomed your information. Along those lines I'm hopeful about finding out if our PR team are presenting a vigorous united front in relation to any unexpected or unwelcome inconsistencies that might have cropped up, from the powers that be,during this season just gone.That can be explained?

• Like 1

I think one year deals for Hibberd and Melksham probably has to do with the possible exit of other senior list players.

Jackson (replaced by Grundy), Bedford, Chandler, Tomlinson all for opportunities. Baker and Rosman (maybe rookied), Hunt - we probably need to recontract him for 3 or 4 years to stave off other offers and one for Hibbo and Melk is preferable.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Axis of Bob said:

He's played over 200 games already, so you should probably have had a bit more doubt.

Melksham is an experienced role player who can play a wide variety of roles and clearly follows the coach's instructions very well. He came into the side this year and did an excellent negating role on opposition intercept players and won us a game as well. He'll be very low cost, content to play VFL, provide leadership and provides decent cover if things hit the fan. He'll also be an easy delist at the end of next year, which could be important when the alternative would be on a two year contract.

I can see why you'd keep him and see why you'd let him go. But overall the difference between those options is kind of whatever.

He'll also keep Steven May in line

• Thinking 1