TEAMS: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

12 hours ago, fr_ap said:

Rosman?? Guy can't get near it at casey. Strange call

I have actually watched a few Casey games live, and reckon he has been ok. He runs both ways, and although he has an awkward kicking action, appears to deliver quite well. Dunstan hasn't really caught my attention in any way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Against Sydney last year? 

I thought that initially too but looking it up Weideman didn’t play. He and Brown have only ever played together against the Blues, when McDonald was also in the side. So yeah first time as a duo tomorrow night.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Pates said:

Massive call by the selection committee to go for Weid over TMac, those critiquing it just remember they’ve barely put a toenail wrong in this regard since late 2020. Backing Weid in is a big decision but for me it does three things: firstly, it gives Weid a big chance to stake his claim for the second forward spot while showing huge faith in him. Second, it shows to him that we still see him as a big part of our future so that faith can be repaid by him. Thirdly (and I almost see as the biggest thing), it will light a bonfire under TMac. He’s a proud guy, he worked his [censored] off to get back to being in the team to eventually win a premiership, so I have no doubt that he will see this as a challenge thrown down to him by the selection committee. 

This week tests our depth, but what an opportunity it’s presented for those that have come in. 

This, couldn’t agree more. This is why I thinks it’s the smart move to play Sam for a few more games. 
The reason there has been so much discussion around Tmac and Sam is because our second tall forward is the one area where we need a fair bit of improvement. Hopefully this more will help trigger one of them into form. 
If not here to hoping JVR might be able to make some sort of impact by the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

Have Brown and Weideman ever played together as a duo? I think not. 
Let them have a go

Didn't they played together in the VFL a handful of times last year?

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

Have Brown and Weideman ever played together as a duo? I think not. 
Let them have a go

Animated GIF

OK

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Well, Weed staying in and Tomald going out isn't what I would do, but that's why I'm a punter living overseas and not on the match selection committee at MFC.

I guess we won't die wondering now. I think TMac is on his last legs either way, and if Weed is struggling with self belief, this vote of confidence should help in that area.

If Weed can't hold down the spot, it's time to start looking at Van Rooyen.

I just dont want Weideman to get in Brown's marking area. I much prefer Brown's marking and kicking ability to the Weid's. If it's coming into Browns area just pull another tall defender out of the area. Isn't that how we have been playing - an emphasis on the team rather than the individual. The same goes with Brown in Weid's area. I have just got this memory of Weideman playing at some stage in the seniors and him spoiling rather than being more tactical.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IRW said:

Weideman is hardly "clunking "..he hasn't done that since the 3(?) In the finals 2018( ?)  ...so long ago I forget the detail.

Tom is an old man in this team and  probably plays a bit lost .

Disagree, he's taken contested marks against Essendon and GWS.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Disagree, he's taken contested marks against Essendon and GWS.

I think you have missed my other contributions on these two.

Tom( past and present) is twice the value of Weideman and imo likely twice what Weideman ever will be.

But he's a confidence player ( it's written all over his face) and for every success in the last few years there is a dropped mark,a kick into the man on the mark and a missed goal when a few years back he NEVER missed and could run up and down the ground all day.

Injury and inconsistency don't play well with lack of confidence.OMac had similar issues.

I hope Tom  gets back in until Van Rooyen is ready to replace him but I doubt it, so ( imo) we are lumbered with Weideman's promising leads and nice kicking but rarely catching it in a pack, ,chasing or applying pressure 

Sigh..

Goody may well prove me wrong  of course and I don't dispute that Tom has plenty of games to make his case

Edited by IRW
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

I feel like the other bigger point being made is that Tom for a very long time has probably been in the bottom 5-7 players most games (since he was omitted with his back issue in 2021). I think it was fair to back him in at the start as he was a premiership winning forward, but has he done enough to earn his place all season? Not really. Sam gets his shot now, so it’s up to him. 

Will be interesting to see the combo of Brown/Weid on the big stage. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kent said:

we will miss Vineys' hardness and work rate at the coalface

Dunstan is more of an outside mid but kicks a few goals

Real chance for Sparrow to step up and do the grunt work all game like JV

Not sure that Dunstan is much of a goalkicker. Looked at the stats a while ago and I think from memory he may have kicked one goal last year. Viney has been kicking a goal most weeks this year. Nonetheless, Dunstan is no mug.

Just now, Redlagged said:

Not sure that Dunstan is much of a goalkicker. Looked at the stats a while ago and I think from memory he may have kicked one goal last year. Viney has been kicking a goal most weeks this year. Nonetheless, Dunstan is no mug.

Across their careers Dunstan averages 0.4 goals per game to Viney's 0.3.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Across their careers Dunstan averages 0.4 goals per game to Viney's 0.3.

Yep. But one goal from 12 games last year. Hardly matters - more importantly, he averaged 25 disposals and 6 clearances! Let's hope he nears that tomorrow. And if he kicks one or two, all the better.

8 hours ago, old dee said:

It will be reversed next week. 

Don't think it will. Suspect that Tom is now out for the long haul, he's going to have to find consistent form again, not just show up for one or two Casey matches.

Could be wrong.

• Like 1