Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Low Attendance

rpfc

Attendance excuses/reasons?  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 minutes ago, layzie said:

I make no apologies for missing the Giants game. Hadn't missed a home game in 3 years before this weekend and have had probably 4 years straight of 100% attendance before that. One of the first real chances to get away after 2 years I spent the weekend down in Dromana. 

Not speaking for others but I don't have an issue with people who are getting away for the weekend. I don't expect people's lives to revolve around the footy, we all have other stuff going on. It's more those who could've gone but opted not to because it was easier to watch on TV.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Tony Tea said:

"PRIMARY reasons" plural is not grammatically legit; especially with "PRIMARY" capitalised for emphasis

While not grammatically perfect, I think it’s acceptable in this case since it’s referencing a list of examples of a primary reason. And because he is addressing more than one person. And coz life’s too short for OTT pedantry. Says me who has a conniption if someone leaves out a comma. 
And I realise ‘OTT pedantry’ is tautological but again, life’s too short…

🙂

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 2

I live in the country.  2.5 hours to get to the ground: 2 hours + by car, then walk to the MCG. I usually get to 5 games per year, and hopefully will this year.

For almost 5 years, the train line between Bendigo and Melbourne has had seasonal patches of having to get into a bus. Extends the train trip by a lot and is totally annoying. I drive to the games now.

The new ticketing system is simply put: stupid. Modern technology is supposed to expedite the process, but now extra steps are required and it takes longer once at the ground. 

And lastly, as much as I love our premiership and being the best, the modern game of 22 players around the ball just isn't as enjoyable to watch. Imagine if we get the ball at half back, transition through the wing, and kick it to a one-on-one between Fritsch and his opponent, with Kozzie and his opponent hovering around for the crumbs. THAT footy was where the skilful thrived, and each kick was a contest. This is why I much prefer going to the local footy and listening to the AFL via my phone.

9 hours ago, deanox said:

https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2022.html

This rounds figures aren't yet included (as the round isn't finished) but in the first 4 rounds this year:

-Melbourne had the second highest average home game attendance (2nd to Carlton). Our two home games were both in the highest 6 attended games out of 36 in those 4 rounds.

-Melbourne was 8th overall for home and away averages, including an away game against GCS (which got only 8000, the second lowest in the first 4 rounds) and away game against PA (which got 23000, the 9th lowest in the first 4 rounds)

- Geelong only got 20500 against the lions at Kardinia, Collingwood v WC only got 25000, both much worse crowd imo.

I'm not sure what the beat up is.

I guess the beat up is that we are better than all those teams and after years of being awful we are finally a damn good side to watch and our fans still are not turning up in big numbers. 
I keep thinking if not now then when?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I guess the beat up is that we are better than all those teams and after years of being awful we are finally a damn good side to watch and our fans still are not turning up in big numbers. 

Exactly even in previous years this would be a poor crowd. 25-27k would be the average for games against interstate teams in previous years where we were going ok. This year the club would be hoping it exceeded 30k you'd assume.

Obviously there are a multitude of factors impacting attendances, I think the club needs to get on the front foot with promoting and marketing our home games. I was surprised at the lack of promotion for the Giants game last week knowing it would be a low drawing game.

We have another poor timeslot home game coming up, 110pm against the Saints on Mother's Day. Will be interesting to see the crowd for that one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

Easter weekend after 2 years in lockdown

Who gives a toss who we play ? 
Do you go to see the opposition or to see our team? 
After Round1 when all the Vic teams played each other there had to be a trade off and this  Round looks like it.

To be fair games against Power and Giants were more attractive when the fixture was announced but go back to my first question. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You're dreaming, this is about OUR supporters turning up. It's our home game we can't rely on opposition supporters to boost our crowd numbers. We need to be getting 40k of our own supporters to games, we've just won a flag, undefeated and the clear best team in the comp. If this were another team I'd be laughing at them, if this were North, Saints or Dogs they'd be discussing relocation.

Absolutely Gonzo that is the truth of the matter. DEEJAMMING is dreaming and completely wrong on figures. 
At  best 1/2000 Port fans would have attended so over 32,000 Blues fans would have been in the house. 

With us the 91 of the 20,791 would  have been Giants. So 20,700 max Dees fans about 30% of our members ( not really as not all MCC members are dual MFC members.) 

I will say the noise and support was exceptional for that number of people but we are talking about fans WHO commit no matter what. 

Deejamming Your figures are rubbish so don't try and manipulate the story or rewrite never spoil a good story with the truth!!

Just so average after all the players and teams support for the fans at the G. And look at the footy Not sure if 10 goals in the third quarter was a record bit must have been close.

What I do know us that Kossie Tommy Sparrow and Bowser all gave us magic moments ( Goals of the year potentially ) and lifetime memories on this night!

We don't  know when or how successful this team will be but look at the last 12 games since Round 20 last year and that's a lifetime of highlights from this  team that we are all hoping can be repeated on the G in September. Why miss out on the entree for  most of the lame excuses trotted out in this forum.

And one other thing by the 600 posts on Demonland there were a vast majority of fans home watching. It appears that the average D/Ler is over 50 and was not at the G on Sat night but watching FTA Foxtel or Kayo!

Are you exhausted already from the Flag celebrations and accept success now as a given?

The excuses by some posts here are lame and disrespectful to the team and efforts  ( even just for Sat night's effort).

Also we are not going to play at our Finals best each Round but a quarter snapshot like the third is a damn good memory for us to savour given the 57 years previous.

Some reality goes a long way !!   

• Like 3

Easter weekend - full of family (and for some religious) stuff.

Fixed seating - a total lottery as to where on sits.

On 4/17/2022 at 11:03 AM, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Get that it was GWS Easter, etc, but as a club, we can't afford to throw away our moment in the sun either.

Games that draw just 20K are deflating and don't build that atmosphere that keep bringing people back to the footy to get on board the Demon train.  How much more impressive and intimidating would it have been if we had 40k supporters there last night to their 200.  Low attendance numbers become a self fulfilling prophecy.

If we are to build our membership and supporter base to be something which will sustain us through the long winters of being middle of the pack which will come somewhere down the track, we really need to make the most of the on feild sucess we are having now.  I actually feel that the club should be making a concerted effort in its marketing and messaging  from players, coaches etc during the week to get supporters turning up to games, GWS or not.

Well said Balls 

9 hours ago, 58er said:

It's not a beat up Deanox. It's disappointing after the success and also alleged desire of fans who were desperate to see our heroes live at the G.

Granted some  crowds have been poor but are from poor performing Clubs with not sustained recent success.

The  excuses and explanations are dribble and aren't worth the time posters have used up typing in. 

Yet many will  want to come to home Finals at theG no doubt. If the Club puts it out that the number of home games attended will be used in any ballot that may unsnooze  the losers missing out on what could/might/ is shaping up as our best team ever with half a dozen or more most watchable players who are destined to be all time greats and no doubt Hall of Famers in many categories. 

Kayo FTA Covid Public Transport Parking Sat  night Ticketing and any  other "excuse" don't hold a candle and is an  insult to intelligence and more to the point a giant insult to our players that at least 50% of members can't be bothered to support these modern day heroes. 

I must laud the noise and congratulate the support of the 20,000 odd who attended and sounded like double that number.on TV replay. 

We can do so much better Dees fans our champs deserve it. 

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

It is a beat up because our first two home games were in the top 6 attended games this year, and we were sitting 2nd on the home game attendance ladder (I'm ignoring away game because we played GCS and a struggling PA).

So Melbourne supporters ARE turning up. Despite having an awkward Wednesday night game and an earlier than usual Friday night game, both which were harder than usual to attend.

They just didn't turn up against GWS on Easter Saturday. And as Supermercado points out, the AFL clearly understood that they shouldn't expect big crowds this week.

That's why this is a beat up. Let's come back after 15+ rounds and analyse properly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like all the other teams, we have a supporter base who have been locked up for 2 years so who can blame them for getting away on a long weekend? Because that's what a lot of people have done (gone away for Easter)

That's apart from the myriad of other reasons as to why the crowds in general have dropped off.  And there is not one particular reason ... more so the cumulative effect

In no particular order ...

No walk up access ( or cash customers)

The tedious and long-winded ticketing system which again, especially effects the oldies ... and for all the trouble we go to we still could be sitting next to someone (for 3 hours) who has contracted covid (who can then pass covid on to the unsuspecting)

The unnecessary noise (loud music) thrust upon spectators on a constant basis at the games

Those who don't want to expose themselves to covid within the madding crowd (especially the over 50's) With covid, many are picking and choosing as to when they want to allow themselves to be exposed to the disease

The state of the actual game ... the congested era has taken its toll.  We might be addicted to the winning and the tribalism but a lot of games are unwatchable.  Why would a neutral attend given that possible likelihood?

The public transport system (which is often unreliable and often packed)

Large 4k TV's to watch footy live as opposed to going to the game (that takes care of a lot of neutrals)

The cost of food & beverages ... $9 for a beer is obscene

Many would-be attendees often make a decision to go to the footy at the last moment ... or, that's what they used to do.  That effects the walk-ups

The lack of parking near the venues

Bragging rights?  At the ground one would much rather beat Essendon as opposed to GWS.  The punters love the big occasion

People being out of town on long weekends (such as Easter)

The confusing timeslots and the lack of Saturday afternoon games (which many prefer - old schoolers)

Nights games making it difficult for country members and kids to attend

Many prefer to 'Stand' at the footy ... that can't be done anymore.  You must sit in your allocated seat

And people don't just buy a membership to attend games ... many buy a membership to support their club and have no real intention of attending many games.  This is borne out by the percentage of actual attendees vs actual membership numbers (across all the teams)

In summary, the biggest factors are covid related and thus, the neutrals and the covid-shy are the no-shows

So the money is in broadcast rights, sponsorship, membership and the corporates.  The AFL is losing out on cash customers and the walk-ups but do they care? Overly large crowd numbers is way less important these days

As an example, the broadcast rights in 2017 amounted to about $2.5Billion ... in turn, because of that cash-cow amount of money, the dividends handed out to the clubs amounts to hundreds of millions of dollars (every year)

Like most sports, AFL has become a TV game so the reality is that the AFL is following the money trail ... and the TV product improves every year.  For instance, the use of the wide-angle this year is a real improvement

For many, the TV 'experience' is really good ... and a much cheaper alternative.  The Pubs are losing out too ... just put on the BBQ and invite people around

The keen ones will still attend the games

Edited by Macca
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

You do know Singapore is a country and Melbourne is a city?

We were the most  locked downcity in the the world.

Did you miss my point about definitions being the point.?

Did you miss the point about cliches offering nothing to intelligent discourse?

Are you aware the population of Melbourne and Singapore are about the same?

Thought so  ...ok try this.

I agree that Covid common sense,Easter holidays and crepe opposition would affect supporter numbers.

But try this as well...After the G/F I was having a drink with Tom Dixon,Dickos son, in from Singapore and we were talking Covid with he and Brin ,Dickos daughter out from America where their whole family and every Mexican worker on their farm had had Covid and the management factors were overwhelming them.

Now Tom from Singapore.." yep more or less open..for 2 years no more than 8 people can congregate outside and masks are compulsory even alone.

There are Covid marshals in the street everywhere and an automatic fine if you are caught. It's a dob in culture ,I have had people ring a marshal to report me.Its common.

Oh.. and no more than 2 people per table in restaurants .If I go with my wife and daughters we need to sit at 2 separated tables. 

It's really stressful...Melbourne seems so relaxed....Dicko sang the song  he was pumped"

So rather than believe journos making up headlines please try and consider useful facts.

It's just not that difficult

16 hours ago, peasant said:

I think a combination of COVID and shifting priorities, plus live TV (especially live free to air) all play a role.

The past couple of years we've predominantly watched matches from the comfort of the lounge room. Put that up against having to battle public transport works / traffic, ticketing dramas, crowds, late nights for families etc, and perhaps the live in-stadium atmosphere isn't as attractive to some as it used to be.

I know it's a really tough environment, but I hope the club don't assume that a premiership will automatically deliver big crowds. They've still got to be innovative, and listen to the concerns of members / supporters.

I personally think should do more to win over supporters who are a little nervous about going to the footy because of COVID. Whether it's a video with someone from the club saying what safety measures the MCG has in place, or they give away Demon face masks at the ground, we've got to work with all our supporters, recognise that they may be at different stages of returning to 'normal life', and ask what we can do so they feel safe going back to the footy.

Excellent review peasant. Saturday night was the first game I have been to since 2019. Covid and night games have kept me at home till Saturday. What a great game to come back to. I have always been someone who much prefered going to a game than watching TV but after the last two years I have got used to watching on TV and it is not as vital now for me to go to a game. I won't be there next Sunday night. Tigers home game so I would end up in the 3rd deck which I don't like, add a night game with hordes of tigers idiots and you have the recipe for watching on the tube. I have been a member for 95% of the years since 1973 but times and situations change. I have made the members commitment again in 2022. I don't see the need / or ability  to attend every game now. I would think the MFC have a higher number of older members like me, our bodies are not as young as they used to be so forgive us if we miss a few games each year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Macca said:

Like all the other teams, we have a supporter base who have been locked up for 2 years so who can blame them for getting away on a long weekend? Because that's what a lot of people have done (gone away for Easter)

That's apart from the myriad of other reasons as to why the crowds in general have dropped off.  And there is not one particular reason ... more so the cumulative effect

In no particular order ...

No walk up access ( or cash customers)

The tedious and long-winded ticketing system which again, especially effects the oldies ... and for all the trouble we go to we still could be sitting next to someone (for 3 hours) who has contracted covid (who can then pass covid on to the unsuspecting)

The unnecessary noise (loud music) thrust upon spectators on a constant basis at the games

Those who don't want to expose themselves to covid within the madding crowd (especially the over 50's) With covid, many are picking and choosing as to when they want to allow themselves to be exposed to the disease

The state of the actual game ... the congested era has taken its toll.  We might be addicted to the winning and the tribalism but a lot of games are unwatchable.  Why would a neutral attend given that possible likelihood?

The public transport system (which is often unreliable and often packed)

Large 4k TV's to watch footy live as opposed to going to the game (that takes care of a lot of neutrals)

The cost of food & beverages ... $9 for a beer is obscene

Many would-be attendees often make a decision to go to the footy at the last moment ... or, that's what they used to do.  That effects the walk-ups

The lack of parking near the venues

Bragging rights?  At the ground one would much rather beat Essendon as opposed to GWS.  The punters love the big occasion

People being out of town on long weekends (such as Easter)

The confusing timeslots and the lack of Saturday afternoon games (which many prefer - old schoolers)

Nights games making it difficult for country members and kids to attend

Many prefer to 'Stand' at the footy ... that can't be done anymore.  You must sit in your allocated seat

You can stand this year, you don't have to sit in an allocated seat anymore

Also beers are $10 now (and mid strength at night games)

• Like 2

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

You can stand this year, you don't have to sit in an allocated seat anymore

Also beers are $10 now (and mid strength at night games)

Well that's good to know ... I'll mention that to my mate (who prefers to stand at the games)

By the way Gonzo, do a quick check on those  footy fans that you know who went away for Easter.  My friends/acquaintances stands at about 40% who are out of Melbourne

And apparently the traffic is gridlocked (Peninsula?) heading back today

$10 for a mid strength ... there's another category staying away - The Drinkers! (and there's a few of them!)

7 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

I live in the country.  2.5 hours to get to the ground: 2 hours + by car, then walk to the MCG. I usually get to 5 games per year, and hopefully will this year.

For almost 5 years, the train line between Bendigo and Melbourne has had seasonal patches of having to get into a bus. Extends the train trip by a lot and is totally annoying. I drive to the games now.

The new ticketing system is simply put: stupid. Modern technology is supposed to expedite the process, but now extra steps are required and it takes longer once at the ground. 

And lastly, as much as I love our premiership and being the best, the modern game of 22 players around the ball just isn't as enjoyable to watch. Imagine if we get the ball at half back, transition through the wing, and kick it to a one-on-one between Fritsch and his opponent, with Kozzie and his opponent hovering around for the crumbs. THAT footy was where the skilful thrived, and each kick was a contest. This is why I much prefer going to the local footy and listening to the AFL via my phone.

The last paragraph I can't agree with.

We're playing great footy to watch. The third quarter yesterday was as good football as you could ask to see. The first half was actually a strong and gripping contest.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

The last paragraph I can't agree with.

We're playing great footy to watch. The third quarter yesterday was as good football as you could ask to see. The first half was actually a strong and gripping contest.

Agree with you Titan. 
Any one that can't love our footy and true  commitment at the moment after the last unsuccessful years is being very picky and churlish. 
Barack for a non competitive team that does get the tough ball and you would lose the game 8 times out of 10.
MALDONBOY you need to see it live and not out of a small screen where ball ups and scrimmages seem the norm.
Not really buying your explanation as it appears your heart is not in with the Dees  or are you satisfied that we have won ONE Flag. ? 

3 hours ago, IRW said:

Did you miss my point about definitions being the point.?

Did you miss the point about cliches offering nothing to intelligent discourse?

Are you aware the population of Melbourne and Singapore are about the same?

Thought so  ...ok try this.

I agree that Covid common sense,Easter holidays and crepe opposition would affect supporter numbers.

But try this as well...After the G/F I was having a drink with Tom Dixon,Dickos son, in from Singapore and we were talking Covid with he and Brin ,Dickos daughter out from America where their whole family and every Mexican worker on their farm had had Covid and the management factors were overwhelming them.

Now Tom from Singapore.." yep more or less open..for 2 years no more than 8 people can congregate outside and masks are compulsory even alone.

There are Covid marshals in the street everywhere and an automatic fine if you are caught. It's a dob in culture ,I have had people ring a marshal to report me.Its common.

Oh.. and no more than 2 people per table in restaurants .If I go with my wife and daughters we need to sit at 2 separated tables. 

It's really stressful...Melbourne seems so relaxed....Dicko sang the song  he was pumped"

So rather than believe journos making up headlines please try and consider useful facts.

It's just not that difficult

So you are living in a country you thought was a city and outlining how they can have only 2 people sitting at a table whilst complaining about the crowds in at the MCG over the long weekend?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 58er said:

Agree with you Titan. 
Any one that can't love our footy and true  commitment at the moment after the last unsuccessful years is being very picky and churlish. 
Barack for a non competitive team that does get the tough ball and you would lose the game 8 times out of 10.
MALDONBOY you need to see it live and not out of a small screen where ball ups and scrimmages seem the norm.
Not really buying your explanation as it appears your heart is not in with the Dees  or are you satisfied that we have won ONE Flag. ? 

Who made you the arbiter of what a supporter should or shouldn't be? People choose to go, or not to go to the footy for various reasons.

I stayed down  the coast for Easter, have for 12 years and will contiune to do so. I will also attend as many home games as I can. I don't need somone else to tell me how to support my club.

• Like 3
  • Love 1