COACHES VOTES: Rd 01 2022

Lucifers Hero

10 Christian Petracca (MELB)
6 Aaron Naughton (WB)
6 Ben Brown (MELB)
4 Bailey Smith (WB)
3 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
1 Ed Langdon (MELB)

A little trickier to work out how the votes split by coach, this week.  I make it: 

• 5/5 Petracca
  • 3/3 and 4/2 Naughton/Brown
  • 4/0 Smith
  • 2/1 Oliver
  • 1/0 Langdon

A fairly even assessment except that one coach rated Smith 2nd BOG and the other didn't rate him at all.  If my split is correct I would say Beveridge gave Smith the 4.

Edit:  An alternative split is in @titan_uranus's post below which I'm copying here:   Could also be that Naughton and Brown were both 4/2, Smith was 3/1, Oliver the other 3 and Langdon the other 1. 

This split looks a better reflection of the game than my first guess.  On this basis the voting is more even and Smith wouldn't be 2nd BOG but even with Oliver. 

Leaderboard

Votes Player Club
10 Patrick Cripps CARL
10 Patrick Dangerfield GEEL
10 Dan Houston PORT
10 Luke Parker SYD
10 Christian Petracca MELB
10 Matt Rowell GCFC
9 Jordan De Goey COLL
9 Patrick Lipinski COLL
9 Joshua Rachele ADEL
8 Andrew Brayshaw FRE
8 Joe Daniher BL
8 Tom Green GWS
8 Tom Hawkins GEEL
8 Changkuoth Jiath HAW
8 Matthew Kennedy CARL
8 Touk Miller GCFC
8 James Sicily HAW
6 Ben Brown MELB
6 Adam Cerra CARL
6 Luke McDonald NMFC
6 Aaron Naughton WB
6 Brandan Parfitt GEEL
Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

• Lucifers Hero changed the title to Coaches Votes Round 1
  • Demonland changed the title to COACHES VOTES: Rd 01 2022

3 minutes ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Bevo has proven many peoples belief that he has lost the plot if he rates Smith the 2nd best on ground

It was only a guess as I don't see Goodwin rating Smith that much higher than Oliver.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

It was only a guess as I don't see Goodwin rating Smith that much higher than Oliver.

Bailey Smith with 66% disposal efficiency versus Oliver at 75%. Smith 5 score involvements, Oliver 8…I know who Goodwin rates here 😉

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 2

Just now, Jaded No More said:

Bailey Smith with 66% disposal efficiency versus Oliver at 75%. Smith 5 score involvements, Oliver 8…I know who Goodwin rates here 😉

Umpires loved Smith too with 5 frees for.

Spoiler alert they hated Oliver with 7 frees against.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vomit 1

1 minute ago, Demonland said:

Umpires loved Smith too with 5 frees for.

Spoiler alert they hated Oliver with 7 frees against.

Smith is one of the most overrated footballers going around. If he did not look the way he looks and have 15 year old girls swooning over him, he would rarely be talked about. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Shocked 1

26 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Smith is one of the most overrated footballers going around. If he did not look the way he looks and have 15 year old girls swooning over him, he would rarely be talked about. 

So what you're basically saying is that umpires are 15 year old girls.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

He's a good player, the winner he kicked in the semi last year was gold. Needed to start running more defensively which it looks like he's been working on. Still very young, i think he'll be a good player for years to come (not Petracca, Bont, Oliver good but very good still)

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He's a good player, the winner he kicked in the semi last year was gold. Needed to start running more defensively which it looks like he's been working on. Still very young, i think he'll be a good player for years to come (not Petracca, Bont, Oliver good but very good still)

He is a good player who can’t kick very well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Bevo has proven many peoples belief that he has lost the plot if he rates Smith the 2nd best on ground

Apparently he had Hunter as 3rd best of ground so I think you might be right! 😂

• Thinking 1

25 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

Bevo must have given Smith 4.  I wonder what the sequence of events was.  Lost the plot while doing coaches votes and then lost it again at the presser, or vice versa.

"Bailey, I'm rooted. I need a lie down. Can you do the coaches votes tonight? Thanks mate."

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

In front of Oliver who he would hate to give votes to coz it would then say that his mids were second rate! Which, other than Bont actually are🤩

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

I mean, 33 disposals, 11 tackles, 7 marks and 8 clearances in just over 3/4s of a game is a decent hitout.

Seems to be a heavier tint of red and blue on the glasses since the premiership.... ;)

and 5 score involvements.  Those stats are only impressive if you ignore the fact Smith played most of the game inside directly opposed to Tracc or Oliver who had 21 score involvements between them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

and 5 score involvements.  Those stats are only impressive if you ignore the fact Smith played most of the game inside directly opposed to Tracc or Oliver who had 21 score involvements between them.

Not saying he had a better game than either of them, just saying it's not that crazy he was in the coaches votes. Had a pretty fair game.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Yet McRae doesn’t crack a single vote?

I know this will sound full nuff, but despite Macrae having the better disposal efficiency %, and Smith's clangers maybe standing out more, I thought Smith's useful disposals contributed a lot more than Macrae's.

Haven't watched the game multiple times though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

I know this will sound full nuff, but despite Macrae having the better disposal efficiency %, and Smith's clangers maybe standing out more, I thought Smith's useful disposals contributed a lot more than Macrae's.

Haven't watched the game multiple times though.

I don’t disagree. McCrae only having 4 score involvements is very poor considering his possession count. He is a distributor but he doesn’t create damage forward of the center. It’s why I don’t think we cared that he was racking them up. 
I don’t dispute that Smith deserved votes. I just think it’s a bit rich of Bevo (and again I’m assuming it was him who gave him the 4 votes), to rate his game that much higher than Clarry’s who had more score involvements and was significantly better by foot. 
But it’s ok because Bevo not rating our midfield suits me just fine. Worked out super well for him the last two times we’ve met. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jaded No More said:

I don’t disagree. McCrae only having 4 score involvements is very poor considering his possession count. He is a distributor but he doesn’t create damage forward of the center. It’s why I don’t think we cared that he was racking them up. 
I don’t dispute that Smith deserved votes. I just think it’s a bit rich of Bevo (and again I’m assuming it was him who gave him the 4 votes), to rate his game that much higher than Clarry’s who had more score involvements and was significantly better by foot. 
But it’s ok because Bevo not rating our midfield suits me just fine. Worked out super well for him the last two times we’ve met. 

Yeah, it's a little bit like the old chestnut with Brownlow votes:

3 votes - winning team, 2 votes - losing team, 1 vote - winning team.

Few rumours going around Bevo has a bit to deal with behind the scenes, so might be an interesting few weeks for them with team selection, coaches votes and the like.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Yeah, it's a little bit like the old chestnut with Brownlow votes:

3 votes - winning team, 2 votes - losing team, 1 vote - winning team.

Few rumours going around Bevo has a bit to deal with behind the scenes, so might be an interesting few weeks for them with team selection, coaches votes and the like.

Sounds interesting! Some enlightenment please Nev.

What are these "rumours", and how are they going to impact "team selection , coaches (sic) votes and the like"?

• Like 1