MOMENTUM: A 2021 Grand Final Story

Demonland

I loved the part at the end when we were over ten goals up, and Trac notes that when May told him to defensively man up, he told him to smile as we were home. For that, he copped 30 seconds of abuse from May and Viney, who overheard him!

I love this; it speaks volumes to the team's commitment to be honest, and open with professional feedback at the start of the year. 

• Like 7
  • Love 3

Just now, Hatchman said:

I loved the part at the end when we were over ten goals up, and Trac notes that when May told him to defensively man up, he told him to smile as we were home. For that, he copped 30 seconds of abuse from May and Viney, who overheard him!

I love this; it speaks volumes to the team's commitment to be honest, and open with professional feedback at the start of the year. 

You gotta laugh that May and Viney were not letting themselves enjoy a premiership win until the final siren, when it was damn obvious we had won with about half a quarter left. 

I also liked Gawn's comment that at half time May came in ready to punch someone. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, sue said:

Just watched it again in normal speed and in slo-mo.  Looks like we will have to agree to differ.

To add: I'm not saying it was the most nasty dumping of a player, just that the basic responsibility for Gawn hitting his head was due to the small bloke.

I heard Gawn himself refer to it as a "Captains Dive."

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

which proves?  I'd rather depend on my eyes than what a noted self-effacing humourist says.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sue said:

which proves?  I'd rather depend on my eyes than what a noted self-effacing humourist says.

I think you need to visit an optometrist then.
Gawn threw his own feet from underneath him.
A bloke thats 6'8" and 100+Kgs isn't going to be rag dolled by a 5'6' fella like that unless he allows himself to be.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

20 hours ago, sue said:

Sorry, you can't bounce your head like that deliberately.   So I assume you are saying because he overplayed the preceding actions he lost control and it was entirely his fault his head bounced?   I find that hard ot believe,

It is dificult to believe; Gawn was more than off-balance at the time of the rapid descent to the ground. Watch his feet - both were in the air - when the 'swinging' element was applied by a nasty little fellow attempting to play David with Goliath. His centre of gravity was thus very high, not near his midriff and certainly not near his legs. The old adage, a 'low centre of gravity' , keeps one stable. A high CoG makes one totally unstable. A raised CoG unbalances and cannot be re-established when avoiding a 'leg tuck' to execute a somersault or part thereof that would lead to an injury most likely . As Gawn momentarily had no base of support with his feet off the ground - David did the 'nasty' on him, due to his already out-of-balance state. Gawn lifted both legs (feet) off the ground before the 'swing' was applied to avoid a twisted ankle (or two) - which may have restricted the rest of his onfield game time. The end product was seen for what it was: a deliberated - although quickly applied - sling so that he landed not on his feet but head first. Daniel (oops, David) will have a moment in the near future to re-visit that incident and may experience some reciprocal exploitation of his balance in such a process. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

The end product was seen for what it was: a deliberated - although quickly applied - sling so that he landed not on his feet but head first. Daniel (oops, David) will have a moment in the near future to re-visit that incident and may experience some reciprocal exploitation of his balance in such a process. 

Time to apply the old adage - don't get mad, get even.

The oompa fired up the dees to record a massive victory and, as has been recorded in various post here, his actions directly contributed to many dees goals (eg who scrubbed the kick that led to Angus's goal, who kicked into Clarrie that led to TMac's first goal). That's called getting even. Next time let's remind him of his folly and its cost and invite him to repeat his misadventures.

• Haha 1

Goodwin stating he'll never forget the energy in the stadium after Olivers goal.
I'll never forget the energy in my lounge room.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4.30am and can’t sleep

Like an addict, I’ll just watch it again on my phone

More tears.

Dog wakes up and looks up from the end of the bed, with a look of “seriously?”

only a Demon tragic can understand 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I’ve watched it countless times already, except I skip the first two and a half minutes each time. Don’t need reminding of those times ever, let alone on a (multiple-) daily basis. 
The vision I can’t bear to watch is the “fans” hanging over the race spewing bile and hatred at the players. What a travesty. I can’t even imagine being that incensed by anyone let alone my beloved Dees. Disappointed, heartbroken, disillusioned… sure. A little [censored] off, even.  But not to that revolting point. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, spalding said:

4.30am and can’t sleep

Like an addict, I’ll just watch it again on my phone

More tears.

Dog wakes up and looks up from the end of the bed, with a look of “seriously?”

only a Demon tragic can understand 

As long as you're not making the Dog watch it. That would be animal cruelty.

• Haha 1

6 months after the big day and watching momentum gave me goosebumps. Unbelievable final series and GF just fantastic, we had to wait 57 years, but made it worth the wait. Would be incredible to be at G and watch them go back-back in 2022!

The goals in the third were just electric, Fritsch, Fritsch, BBB, wait a few minutes Brayshaw amazing courage, then Trac, Sparrow & Clarry, awesome!

Go Demons!

• Love 3

6 out of 16 minutes, or roughly 35-40%, of a video on GF momentum was about the clubs history, way too much.

Loved the last 10 minutes, would love to see a 60 minute+ documentary like these 10 minutes on the season as a whole with good percentage of it on the GF

Edited by Rod Grinter Riot Squad

On 3/11/2022 at 9:18 AM, Hatchman said:

The other moment involving May that I've heard quoted (actually in the other Fox doco) is apparently in the middle of the BANG,  BANG, BANG goal scoring tsunami, Steve May is saying to the mid feild "Ok, let's shut it down and make sure they don't score again before three quarter time".  Oliver recalls that he turned to Trac and they were both like 'NAHHH, let's keep pushing'.

Love the bulls we have at the club all over the field that complement each other.  The intense defensive mindset of Lever, May & Co down back lets guys like Clarry and Trac do their thing and go hard offensively when it's on.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 3/11/2022 at 10:03 AM, Fork 'em said:

Caleb Daniel will still cop it on Wednesday night from Dees fans, as he should.

The wannabe standover pose he did deserves a Boo, and was the only dark side of a game played in great spirit by both sides.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 6:49 PM, Skuit said:

Viney's efforts which resulted in Harmes' collect are also overblown in my opinion. We scored a goal from a stoppage on the wing which steadied the ship and gave us back some belief, normal stuff really, which in turn led us to getting back on top in the midfield and scoring a couple more not especially well-constructed ones. We then went from there with extra wind in our sales.  

Agree.  I'd think Viney himself would be somewhat embarrassed for the credit given to him in that play.  He's just in the right spot to shark the ruck takedown and then full on fumbles it forward.  It's not like he's busting skulls or in an other way really out musseling anyone to create a path for others (in that play).  Harmes gather, burst and delivery in that play are sublime.  I think Max is on the record as saying it's the best kick of Harmesy's career and I recon he's right.  (Harmes is actually somewhat underrated for his capasity to deliver in clutch moments.  He delivered another similar great pass to Kent inside 50, who goaled and sealed our first finals in 12 years again WC in Rd 22, 2018).

Conversely Kossie's magic body use to clear a path for Trac that starts up the BANG BANG BANG isn't spoken of enough.  It's almost as impressive as the Trac goal in my view.  A masterful football moment from Kossie.

That's not to discount Viney's general never say die attack on the footy throughout the rest of the GF, which was sensational, along side the likes of Brayshaw, Clarry, Trac and many others that day.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Agree.  I'd think Viney himself would be somewhat embarrassed for the credit given to him in that play.  He's just in the right spot to shark the ruck takedown and then full on fumbles it forward.  It's not like he's busting skulls or in an other way really out musseling anyone to create a path for others (in that play).  Harmes gather, burst and delivery in that play are sublime.  I think Max is on the record as saying it's the best kick of Harmesy's career and I recon he's right.  (Harmes is actually somewhat underrated for his capasity to deliver in clutch moments.  He delivered another similar great pass to Kent inside 50, who goaled and sealed our first finals in 12 years again WC in Rd 22, 2018).

Conversely Kossie's magic body use to clear a path for Trac that starts up the BANG BANG BANG isn't spoken of enough.  It's almost as impressive as the Trac goal in my view.  A masterful football moment from Kossie.

That's not to discount Viney's general never say die attack on the footy throughout the rest of the GF, which was sensational, along side the likes of Brayshaw, Clarry, Trac and many others that day.

Totally agree about Kossie. What I love about that piece of play is how instinctive and quick it is – absolutely natural football understanding.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Agree.  I'd think Viney himself would be somewhat embarrassed for the credit given to him in that play.  He's just in the right spot to shark the ruck takedown and then full on fumbles it forward.  Harmes gather, burst and delivery in that play are sublime.  I think Max is on the record as saying it's the best kick of Harmesy's career and I recon he's right.  (Harmes is actually somewhat underrated for his capasity to deliver in clutch moments.  He delivered another similar great pass to Kent inside 50, who goaled and sealed our first finals in 12 years again WC in Rd 22, 2018).

In the context of the previous 30 minutes, and especially the last 15 minutes, where we were only hanging on defensively, Viney does deserve credit.  We got the first inside 50 of the third quarter, and then only had another 2 in the next 17 minutes.  Viney took an offensive mindset and hit that stoppage pretty hard, and so the fact he fumbled is not that surprising.  We probably had a bit of luck in that Bailey Smith also fumbled, but full credit to Viney for making something happen offensively after a long period of nothing happening for us.

Edited by Watson11
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

You underestimate the work of Viney to clear a space for Harmes. It’s a huge moment in the game

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

In the context of the previous 30 minutes, and especially the last 15 minutes, where we were only hanging on defensively, Viney does deserve credit.  We got the first inside 50 of the third quarter, and then only had another 2 in the next 17 minutes.  Viney took an offensive mindset and hit that stoppage pretty hard, and so the fact he fumbled is not that surprising.  We probably had a bit of luck in that Bailey Smith also fumbled, but full credit to Viney for making something happen offensively after a long period of nothing happening for us.

Nah, pleanty of other offensively minided plays in that 30mins from Viney and others, we just stuffed the forward 50 entry or missed the goal.

I'm not really convinced that Viney hits the ball any harder than any other play and/or actually clears any space for Harmes either in that play alone.  In my view Viney probably does far more to out mussel and agressively compete for the ball at the subsequent centre square bounces that hand the next goal to Freitch and the BBB and I'd give him more credit for those plays.  Incidentally Clarry and Trac are awsome in those plays.   Love the one where Trac rips the ball out of the centre clearance, blind turns, bursts and powers clear to put it on the North players head in the perfect position for BBB.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I reckon Jason Taylor would have been remembering the similar highlight he showed the coaches when talking about him pre-draft that Goody and Richo both loved.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

53 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Nah, pleanty of other offensively minided plays in that 30mins from Viney and others, we just stuffed the forward 50 entry or missed the goal.

We can agree to disagree.  An interesting stat is in the 3rd qtr we kicked 0.1 from 3 inside 50s up to that stoppage, and 7.1 from 9 inside 50s after it.  I don’t think there will ever be a performance like that in a GF again.

• Like 2
  • Love 1