2021 Player Reviews: #32 Tom Sparrow

Demonland

Was a revelation in the grand final. The Bulldogs paid no attention to him and paid the price. Great in the Qualifying Final as well.

Can only get better. One of our most exciting prospects. Can kick like a mule, mark overhead, loves a tackle and getting down and dirty. 

• Like 6

On 10/30/2021 at 2:18 PM, Hellaintabadplacetobe said:

Kept his close friend and housemate Jordon out of the team in finals, both have enormous upside….. 

If I was to predict I would say Sparrow has greater upside than Jordon. Not a knock but Jordon seems more workhorse while Sparrow has weapons.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2021 at 11:31 AM, John Crow Batty said:

His long accurate boot is a rare weapon whether taking pot shots for goal or searching out a teammate at distance or closer. Creates uncertainty and un-predictability to opposition defensive structures. Very few players have that ability.

This level of skill cannot be overlooked. I rate Sparrow highly - and he will only get better. It is rather easy to find fault with younger players but Sparrow somehow gets into so much across the ground and in a GF, for heaven's sake, he produced in a very pleasing way, to exceptional effect when the decision-making was his own.

This kid is going to be something very special - he is already better than 70% of the youth that we have played across the last 5 years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I was confused why he got the nod over Jordan but now get it. Not to take anything away from James but Tom is the better at this stage. Hopefully a champion in the making here.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jnrmac said:

If I was to predict I would say Sparrow has greater upside than Jordon. Not a knock but Jordon seems more workhorse while Sparrow has weapons.

Tend to agree but Jordan Lewis has huge raps on JJ!  Both well exceeded my expectations. Big futures for both!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Hellaintabadplacetobe said:

Tend to agree but Jordan Lewis has huge raps on JJ!  Both well exceeded my expectations. Big futures for both!

Around the club they're a bit of a package deal - the Fridge and the Freezer I think they call them. Yze loves them both, reckons they're some of the best at the club for training and prep

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have always liked the look of the way that Sparrow plays the game and look at his development as a blueprint for the way to bring young players into the game and work on their strengths and weaknesses. The coaching team have done wonders with some very good raw material. 

For Sparrow he is in a great position of being able to play a role in behind the likes of Petracca, Oliver and Viney so that he has the freedom to do what he does. He is a very good kick so he ha the attacking elements that make him a danger. He also has the defensive game with his tackling and running. I also like the competitiveness and aggression he shows.

He is developing well but will be even better when he builds more of a tank and I can see that coming over the next couple of pre-seasons.

A lot of upside for this kid. 

A great game in the grand final, and remember, according to the AFL stats, he only rated 15th best in the Demons 22.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Endorse what most others are saying here. Astute observers would of course be cognisant of young  Captain Jack’s bravura performance against the dreaded colliwobbles in the AFL’s Covid  blockbuster series one. Before injury prematurely ended his 2020 seAson. Grabbed his opportunity by the proverbials last campaign. Stamping his authority with some rousing play making on the biggest stage. Young man on the rise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 11/1/2021 at 4:05 PM, Hellaintabadplacetobe said:

I like that as he had big raps for Kozzie as well.

• Like 3

Getting better and better as he grows in confidence, and learning lots from Trac, Vines and Clarry  too.

Has a mean boot on him and a very solid frame, could develop into another monster midfielder for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He had me when he played a ripper on his debut in an otherwise lack lustre team R1 2019 v Port. 

In a parallel universe, he could have had 4 in the grand final - (1) Fritta marked on goal line, (2) his goal, (3) Max or Tom take Easton Wood out of the goal square contest and the ball goes through and (4) hit up Luke Jackson rather than running into 50 and taking a shot. But that last one shows he's on the selfless bandwagon. 

Tough as old boots. I hope he's a 10+ year player for us, we'll be at the pointy end for a while as a result.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

In a year that was full of pluses for us, Tom Sparrow was right up there, I reckon (especially late in the season when he got a decent run at it).  He has solid pace and endurance, tackles with good intent and technique, and his field and goal kicking have come on in leaps and bounds (his long goal, and his spotting up of BBB and Dogga for goals in the GF were superb!).  Perhaps needs a bit of work on his handball skills and ‘game’ awareness, but experience and hard work will address these areas.  I’d be very surprised if he’s not a permanent fixture in 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2021 at 3:19 PM, Deeoldfart said:

I’d be very surprised if he’s not a permanent fixture in 2022.

He played an important role in our first premiership in 57 years and was selected in that team when we had basically no injuries.

The only way he is not a permanent fixture in 2022 is if he gets injured or JT lands a superstar at pick 17.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

He played an important role in our first premiership in 57 years and was selected in that team when we had basically no injuries.

The only way he is not a permanent fixture in 2022 is if he gets injured or JT lands a superstar at pick 17.

Dunstan says Hi!

PS It's definitely Toms and others spots to lose but Dunny  will get a good no of games no doubt to add another soldier to our Midfield troops.

We sre not resting on our laurels on any way thank goodness and a draft to come as well! 

• Thanks 1

I've watched the last 4 games -starting with the Geelong game, last round of 2021 - and I am left with awe and admiration for the feats of Sparrow, Neale-Bullen, Spargo, Pickett, Jackson, Bowey, and Rivers. Rivers, for example, was awesome in the last quarter against Brisbane. Barring injuries, and the slings and arrows of fate, 2022 should be another good year for the Dees.

Another great sign was the camaraderie and genuine affection the players have for each other. This is really a very good TEAM.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Dunstan says Hi!

PS It's definitely Toms and others spots to lose but Dunny  will get a good no of games no doubt to add another soldier to our Midfield troops.

We sre not resting on our laurels on any way thank goodness and a draft to come as well! 

Dunstan can earn his spot. Sparrow already has.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

Dunstan can earn his spot. Sparrow already has.

That's what I am saying Wrecker that it's Toms or others SPOT TO LOSE but I feel Dunstan will ( still) get ( earn) a number of games in 2022.

Injury or form are obviously the key factors in this opinion. 

• Like 3

If we didn't get our culture, coaching and development right Sparrow and JJ could be on the scrap heat.

Now they are waiting in the wings of a dominant midfield and can seriously look at becoming a part of a dynasty.

You need alot to go right and the dees are ticking those boxes at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

If we didn't get our culture, coaching and development right Sparrow and JJ could be on the scrap heat.

Now they are waiting in the wings of a dominant midfield and can seriously look at becoming a part of a dynasty.

You need alot to go right and the dees are ticking those boxes at the moment.

Agree but it does in no way alter what I said re spots in the team. Any player not in the GF 23 will have to earn his spot via form or replace an injured teammate to get in the team. 

That's  good for the team culture and development.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1