VDB/CHUNK

IRW

5 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

Neither. Too slow. Our game is built on defensive pressure. I’d have Sparrow ahead of them both. Viney will come straight back in to, so unless we have a lot of injuries I think they are both well down the pecking order.

I think we planned for a very wet night last night, and might have been surprised at how dry the game became in the 2nd quarter. VDB got the nod for the rain, and that reason alone.

Sparrow played last night

2 hours ago, Ollie fan said:

I won’t be popular for saying it, but I never thought Jones was that good – he was just in a very poor team. I don’t think he chases nearly hard enough, and that is such a major part of our game.

I have always liked VDB but he wasn’t great last night, but given the amount of football he has missed in the last year or so, he was always going to be very rusty. I say, give him another chance because his capacity to stick a tackle and hurt with it is enormously helpful to us.

When was the last time Vanders WAS great? 

He turns " run" into sludge and his disposal is 2 seasons old.

But yeah ,Viney will come back in to run headlong onto ever pack he sees and Sparrow and Jordan are ahead of Jones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a Vandenberg fan but he hasn't been doing enough lately and he makes too many skill errors, especially by foot. I appreciate his toughness and aggression but we have several other players with the same qualities. 

I think that Jones is a more rounded and skillful player. He is too good to be kept out of the team for so many weeks.

• Like 2

Sure  Vanders gave away a couple of bad free kicks last night. 

But I still think he has something to offer. Coming on as a sub in only your second game of the year is a difficult thing to do. I liked his first game of the year where he was involved in a number of scoring chains and his disposal was good.

We gave Harmes five or six weeks to come good. Vanders at least deserves a couple of opportunities...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IRW said:

Fair dinkum Vanders is a lumbering liability and still has the skill and decision making deficit of the earlier Goodwin Demons iteration. 

Someone said yesterday the game has passed him by.

I said  the same thing about Jones  after the Finals win at the G in ...( whenever it was;who can tell these days?) against Hawthorn ,but seriously does anyone not think he would be a better inclusion than the frustration  that is Vanders.He can stop any fluid ball movement without even trying 

But Nathan Jones?

A red hot go (firstly as the medical sub), he can kick a goal and he would give it full throttle like no other player on the list to get a shot at the flag in his last game.

It wouldn't even be sentimental  (unless he holds the Cup), just a smart move

10 hours ago, IRW said:

Fair dinkum Vanders is a lumbering liability and still has the skill and decision making deficit of the earlier Goodwin Demons iteration. 

Someone said yesterday the game has passed him by.

I said  the same thing about Jones  after the Finals win at the G in ...( whenever it was;who can tell these days?) against Hawthorn ,but seriously does anyone not think he would be a better inclusion than the frustration  that is Vanders.He can stop any fluid ball movement without even trying 

But Nathan Jones?

A red hot go (firstly as the medical sub), he can kick a goal and he would give it full throttle like no other player on the list to get a shot at the flag in his last game.

It wouldn't even be sentimental  (unless he holds the Cup), just a smart move

Vanders before Chunk 

• Like 1

jones is absolutely the way to go in the vest for the finals from a romaticism side of things he deserves it and we should try and get him there, but the best option imo to cover all bases is declase for sure, 194cm can play tall and a wingman so he can find the footy, run and kick but if we lost a genuine tall we wouldn't be completely hurt by it

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Turner said:

jones is absolutely the way to go in the vest for the finals from a romaticism side of things he deserves it and we should try and get him there, but the best option imo to cover all bases is declase for sure, 194cm can play tall and a wingman so he can find the footy, run and kick but if we lost a genuine tall we wouldn't be completely hurt by it

I don't think someone drafted mid-year as a rookie is going to get a call up at this stage of the season. Just saying.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, Seraph said:

I don't think someone drafted mid-year as a rookie is going to get a call up at this stage of the season. Just saying.

i think thats exacrly why we drafted a mature 24yo whos positionally flexible, just saying. + every other club including challengers port and finals challengers richmond, saints + bombers have found a way to fit their recruits in and it benefitted their side just saying

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Yep, on last night's form AVB is cooked

Jones definitely ahead for me

Agreed that VDB is not mu h chop but I wAnt to point out that last week many were saying harmes should be dropped and is no good. Even LJ was mentioned being dropped a couple of weeks ago.

Both killed it last night. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wizard of Koz said:

Agreed that VDB is not mu h chop but I wAnt to point out that last week many were saying harmes should be dropped and is no good. Even LJ was mentioned being dropped a couple of weeks ago.

Both killed it last night. 

Yeah,  but Harmes( and Melksham) have demonstrated their worth over the journey. 

How long ago is it ,if ever,that Vanders has done so?

Harmes and Melksham don't get in the way if they are playing a bad game.

VDB doesn't have a good game any more  if he ever did..His body has never let him.

I only mentioned Jones , who I acknowledged was also  off the pace to emphasise the futility of persevering with Vandenberg. 

Don't get me started on Weideman   but Vander's aggression and Spargos game brain  on Weids skills base would be an AFL grade player.

Otherwise, if picked,they are the bottom 3 that defines the teams likelihood to win the flag 

Jones might be only best 24 but he's not an impediment the way VDB is .

Edited by IRW
Afterthought

Jones before AVB.

Flexibility, he has played mid most of his career and has been building both in the back and half forward flanks over the last few seasons.

Knows the structures and set up required, so a good role player.

Brings leadership and respect.

Has a lovely kick on him, can kick goals.

Hard to tackle, has a good step and has a passion for the MFC.

Give him a game before finals and see if his body/skills are still up for it.

Vanders has had his game to prove it, and I think did not perform well.

17 hours ago, Satan said:

Sadly dont think we will get to see Nathan play in front of Melbourne  supporters crowd again

I hate admitting it but you’re right. Tbf he was very lucky to get one more year. It break my heart that this is his last chance and we do have a legitimate chance 😢 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Satan said:

Sadly dont think we will get to see Nathan play in front of Melbourne  supporters crowd again

Fear you may be right. Glad he got to the milestone with crowds in attendance. 

On 8/10/2021 at 10:28 AM, bluey said:

Glad your still alive IRW, …..I believe the club was just trying to drag Vandunburg over the Fifty game line, like a service medal type thing.

First game back, give him a go

Chunk is far to slow and will be caught 

18 hours ago, dee-tox said:

Sure  Vanders gave away a couple of bad free kicks last night. 

But I still think he has something to offer. Coming on as a sub in only your second game of the year is a difficult thing to do. I liked his first game of the year where he was involved in a number of scoring chains and his disposal was good.

We gave Harmes five or six weeks to come good. Vanders at least deserves a couple of opportunities...

Vanders was horrible.

Game has passed him.

Edited by dazzledavey36