• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

WELCOME BACK TO DEMONLAND: TAYLA HARRIS

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first took notice of her when she absolutely monstered us when we played Carlton the season before last. A 3 time AA she's exactly what we need, a dominant key forward. Perfect replacement for Tegan Cunningham.

It went pear shaped for her at Carlton this year with many questioning her attitude. Hopefully she's focused and has her mind on the job because a fully firing Tayla Harris makes us flag favorites i reckon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I understand her form at Carlton was poor this season and she wanted $150,000 a season to continue. Maybe good for marketing but she has to deliver on the field.

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 1

The 150k gets bandied about but from what Daisy has said, she's not asking for 150k to play 10 weeks of footy. She would also work at the club in some capacity. Not sure what that would be but it sounds like the club is willing to give it a shot

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, siam juntaRus said:

150 grand will get us 2 rookie wingman for the MFC  which we need.

Any further comment is a waste of energy.

150 grand would probably also buy a one-way ticket to Mars for someone. ?

24 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Not sure about her.

She chases the bucks, has minimal loyalty and is an inconsistent performer.

She could disrupt our team if they pay more than salary of our stars and developing players become limited in what they can ask for under the cap.

She's had a poor season last year but is a 3 time AA so i wouldn't call her inconsistent.

Valid comments regarding disruption and salary but if Daisy is happy to get on board that's good enough for me.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Not sure about her.

She chases the bucks, has minimal loyalty and is an inconsistent performer.

She could disrupt our team if they pay more than salary of our stars and developing players become limited in what they can ask for under the cap.

If what I have heard is correct "Caveat Emptor"

• Like 1

I just wonder how the other girls would feel about this. We have better players at Melbourne than Harris and I would hate it if they got peezed of about her pay. Could be a disrupting influence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

150 grand would probably also buy a one-way ticket to Mars for someone. ?

Foreshadowing COVID contingencies, Walker? No worries for MFC, according to Max; 'Anyone, anywhere.'

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

Foreshadowing COVID contingencies, Walker? No worries for MFC, according to Max; 'Anyone, anywhere.'

Yeah, that wasn’t the message I was trying to send. I mean, I did say one-way so MFC players are defs not who I meant. ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dl4e said:

I just wonder how the other girls would feel about this. We have better players at Melbourne than Harris and I would hate it if they got peezed of about her pay. Could be a disrupting influence.

Yep thats the issue plus a few other things as well 

• Thanks 1

Harris, like many sportspeople, "appears" to be very self-serving / focused.

Can't say I blame her, the window for making bank as a sportsperson is limited, particularly for female athletes.

I'd suggest that her drop off in the last season or two has been a combination of; poor delivery / better opposition and lack of focus (what was that boxing thing?).

The Dees were successful in the last AFLW season largely due to the game plan and approach where everyone bought in and played a role for the team.  If Harris can do this, there is no reason it won't work.

• Demonland changed the title to AFLW: Tayla Harris Set to Request Trade to Dees

I was against it but if Daisy's in, I'm in. I imagine it would be similar among the players and I feel like the culture of the club is strong enough for this to be handled properly.

The money or loyalty issue doesn't bother me at all. It's a different landscape in the AFLW - for a lot of players 'the extras' or what a club means for their work or what their offseason looks like can be the difference between playing and not. Tayla's not quite in that category (probably because of her savvy in this area!) so I respect her approach. She's off the charts in terms of marketing, which given the financial reality of the league at present, has to be a factor for all clubs.

It's Tayla's form of late that I'm iffy on. She can be inconsistent and can really struggle to be involved in games. The same could be said for some of our current forwards though. There's potential that Tayla's strengths (contested marking) will be better suited to our game style and also what we've lacked at times. When her tackling pressure's on, she makes a big impact, sometimes recklessly.

She's 24, and 8th on the goalkicking list for the league with 29 goals from 37 games...

• Like 2

If we can include Purcell and Harris into the team then watch out just like the men we will have to be flag favorites.

• Like 1

• Demonland changed the title to WELCOME BACK TO DEMONLAND: TAYLA HARRIS

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.