Farewell Sam Weideman

DeeSpencer

17 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

They will for the Dockers because they traded for future picks with Logue and Tucker and will also get a future pick that we get from Essendon for Weideman.

I'm probably wrong, but I didn't think that was the rule. 

Bur it makes sense they could trade their first and second because they'd still have a future second from Nth.

• Like 1

So much potential.  But Sam never quite showed the consistency to keep his place. 2018 finals was the taste of what we wanted to see. But he was too physically pushed aside or got under the marking contest. 

In the end, a Future 3rd pick is like a side of French fries   

Honestly could not meet a nicer guy than Sam. He was very good at social events and with my kids.
Wish him the best. Ben Gibson is going to be gutted.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yeah hopefully it’s North’s

If my hunch that Freo won't make the top 8 next year is correct, there may not be a lot of difference between NM F2 and Freo F2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Matt said:

I thought teams aren’t allowed to trade out their future 1st & 2nd? Or am I wrong about that?

If a club trades its F1 it must hold a pick in all other future rounds but it doesn't matter whose they are.  If it trades in an F1 to replace its own it can trade out of F2, F3, F4 etc. entirely. 

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Thanks 4

Unless Gawn and Grundy are playing 44 (46 if magic round comes in) games  between them, then who’s going to be the back up ruck if one of the two misses a game?

Combine that with BBb and T Mac’s issues and I would’ve thought there would be plenty of opportunities available next year for Weid.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

If my hunch that Freo won't make the top 8 next year is correct, there may not be a lot of difference between NM F2 and Freo F2.

I've got this same hunch and it doesn't have much to do with their list. There are not that many holes in it aside from a few tweaks they can make but it's the gameplan that needs to evolve to really scare anyone else in the top 4. It's taken them to a point and now needs to take the next step in terms of ball movement. 

• Like 1

I seriously don't understand what our ruck list management plan has been. Last year we re-sign Weid for 2 years on presumably low money, and groom him as a backup ruck/forward. He was a failure as a forward at AFL level this year, but was playing as the 1st ruck at Casey, and acquitted himself well in the finals.  

If we don't see any potential in Weid as a ruck, why did we re-sign him? We could have drafted or traded for a ruckman in their early 20's, and groomed them under Max. Instead we got an aging Daw.

What was more concerning was JVR playing in the ruck at Casey. If he is our backup should Gawn/Grundy get injured, then we've lost the plot.

• Sad 1

I’m hoping this isn’t true. Sam has struggled but a future third is nothing, if it’s to trade for Jackson as reported that makes me even more unhappy, we shouldn’t have to do anything for Freo to get Jackson, particularly not trade more key position depth, Freo is already getting unders, they can GAGF. 

I think Sam showed a bit as second tall/ruck particularly towards the end of the season, we are very light on for tall depth. Tommo and Ben Brown are injury prone and not mobile enough for backup ruck. If this is true we’re one injury away from no back up ruck now. If we do have plans for another backup ruck/forward we’ve left it to the end of trade period. 

Outs: L Jackson, S Weideman, M Brown, M Daw

In: Grundy

Thats not a balanced approach.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, deejammin' said:

I’m hoping this isn’t true. Sam has struggled but a future third is nothing, if it’s to trade for Jackson as reported that makes me even more unhappy, we shouldn’t have to do anything for Freo to get Jackson, particularly not trade more key position depth, Freo is already getting unders, they can GAGF. 

I think Sam showed a bit as second tall/ruck particularly towards the end of the season, we are very light on for tall depth. Tommo and Ben Brown are injury prone and not mobile enough for backup ruck. If this is true we’re one injury away from no back up ruck now. If we do have plans for another backup ruck/forward we’ve left it to the end of trade period. 

Outs: L Jackson, S Weideman, M Brown, M Daw

In: Grundy

Thats not a balanced approach.

Michael Gleeson is usually very spot on.

It's happening. 

• Like 1

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

Michael Gleeson is usually very spot on.

It's happening. 

Bugger. Not happy Jan.

(FWIW I would be fine with trading Sam if we were getting something worthwhile and he wanted it, but as it stands it looks like it’s to help Freo do a deal they should’ve been able to do without getting anything back. I hope we have a plan for at least one more ruckman to come into the list).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

So at this stage our key forward ruck options will be Gawn, Grundy, McDonald, Brown and JVR. Not great depth. 

A couple of injuries and we will be back to playing Melksham as the 2nd tall....

Nar ya got it wrong, Spargo will be bolted to Bowsers Shoulders!!

• Haha 3

I'll say it again, I thought the point of entering into trades was to improve our list.

The Hunt deal didn't improve our list, the draft pick swap didn't improve our list, any potential deal for Tomlinson won't improve our list and this deal won't improve our list.

Why are we trading out handy depth players for crappy draft picks that are being sent to other clubs?

Time for Tim Lamb to put on his big boy pants and get some results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1