Tom Phillips - Outside Skills and Speed

Simon Port

4 minutes ago, Pollyanna said:

I don't rate Baker. We need either Smith or Phillips.

I think Baker showed enough in those last two games (and yes, it was only two games) to suggest that he is worth persevering with over the next few seasons.

It's why the addition of Smith could be terrific on so many levels.  Not only would he slot in perfectly on another wing opposite Langdon, but he would also help to develop someone like Baker and show him what is really required to play on the wider areas of the MCG. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I think Baker showed enough in those last two games (and yes, it was only two games) to suggest that he is worth persevering with over the next few seasons.

It's why the addition of Smith could be terrific on so many levels.  Not only would he slot in perfectly on another wing opposite Langdon, but he would also help to develop someone like Baker and show him what is really required to play on the wider areas of the MCG. 

Yes Baker is worth persevering with on the list but I don't want to be relying on him to hold down a wing next year.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Pollyanna said:

Yes Baker is worth persevering with on the list but I don't want to be relying on him to hold down a wing next year.

Neither do I, and I think the club share your that sentiment by chasing Smith.

I think they can see the potential in Baker, but understand that he will still take some time, hence us getting Smith for a few years.

• Like 2

I'd delist Baker.  I cannot see what anyone sees in him.  A very soft and ordinary player.

Sorting out the opposite wing this trade period is an absolute must.  That's if you want to improve in 2021.  If you don't then keep stuffing around with vandenBerg, Baker, Brayshaw (inside mid), or some other spud that won't work.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Hannibal Inc. said:

I'd delist Baker.  I cannot see what anyone sees in him.  A very soft and ordinary player.

Sorting out the opposite wing this trade period is an absolute must.  That's if you want to improve in 2021.  If you don't then keep stuffing around with vandenBerg, Baker, Brayshaw (inside mid), or some other spud that won't work.

Yes he doesn't show metres gained attributes with run and kicking depth, has strong turnover tendencies and he needs to be harder at the contest.

I'm willing to give him a year to see but I wouldn't blink if he was delisted.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

How, by keeping out of the side. If they both play, Baker wouldn't get many minutes on the wing even if they rotated him with Langdon & Smith. Not a fan of Smith, he is a butcher with the ball, rather try Baker/Hunt or go after Hunter if we def want to bring in a wing.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

I was more bullish than some about what Baker showed this year but if we can bring someone in to ensure Baker is a depth player, that makes us better.

Both Smith and Phillips are better options for the non-Langdon wing in 2021. Bring one in, Baker becomes depth. 

Edited by titan_uranus
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Pollyanna said:

I don't rate Baker. We need either Smith or Phillips.

We need both IMV. Smith and Phillips, that is.

Edited by A F
  • Like 3

Agree if I’m Mahoney, my key targets are both Isaac Smith (as a free agent) and Tom Phillips (squeezed out by Pies).  I’m happy with a two-year deal for Smith and at least a three-year deal for Phillips.  They add tremendous run and our need for the left wing.  I’m less convinced about Polec $$ who seemingly have issues which is why North are potentially  looking to unload.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Agree if I’m Mahoney, my key targets are both Isaac Smith (as a free agent) and Tom Phillips (squeezed out by Pies).  I’m happy with a two-year deal for Smith and at least a three-year deal for Phillips.  They add tremendous run and our need for the left wing.  I’m less convinced about Polec $$ who seemingly have issues which is why North are potentially  looking to unload.  

i believe north are committed to keeping polec now as higgins is off down the highway to geelong

40 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

i believe north are committed to keeping polec now as higgins is off down the highway to geelong

At least acquiring Higgins will fix their youth issues. The average age will drop dramatically!

On 10/17/2020 at 1:55 PM, Wiseblood said:

Neither do I, and I think the club share your that sentiment by chasing Smith.

I think they can see the potential in Baker, but understand that he will still take some time, hence us getting Smith for a few years.

The problem with Smith is he is 32, 33 next year I think he only has 1 season left in him a 3 year contract is way to high a price to pay for a 33 year old,  Unless we are in a premiership contention next year Smith will be the worst decision ever made.

I also don't rate Baker. Two fluke goals in nine games is all I've seen.

I also don't like the idea of recruiting 33-year-olds no matter how good they've been.

So if Phillips is our best option let's get him unless we think there may be a sleeper in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL that can do the job...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

I’d take Smith and Phillips, play Tomlinson back and my hope is TMac can work with Weideman and Jackson. I’d also like to snare a small/medium forward 

I agree Smith should have 2 good playing years and maybe the 3rd can be playing/assistant role, similar to Jones. Phillips should be the main target and I'd still go after Brown 

Edited by Rednblueriseing
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 2:01 PM, don't make me angry said:

The problem with Smith is he is 32, 33 next year I think he only has 1 season left in him a 3 year contract is way to high a price to pay for a 33 year old,  Unless we are in a premiership contention next year Smith will be the worst decision ever made.

I agree he is on the old side but to be accurate he is 31 and will be 32 in the next season. Apparently he didn't start playing AFL level until 21 so is likely to have more milage left in his body that the typical 31 year old. All that said, we would have to be thinking of him as filling a gap while one of our kids is getting ready to take the spot, potentially training that replacement. I think Phillips would be a better all round fit but I can see Smith playing a role.

8 hours ago, dee-tox said:

So if Phillips is our best option let's get him unless we think there may be a sleeper in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL that can do the job...

There usually is, if you can find them. Smith came as a mature player from Ballarat In VFL if I recall correctly.

The thing that St Kilda did well was they went and recruited a set, a set they needed to improve their side and fill their needs. They needed outside run, they got Hill, they needed a inside player, they h=got Jones, they need a ruckman, they got Ryder, they needed a defensive key, they got Marshall. 

We did to a degree with Langdon and Tomlinson, but Tomlinson has not worked... we need to bit the bullet, we need to get a tall Fwd and some more runners. No Mucking around, we just have to do it, get Smith, or Phillips, and get Brown. 

Huge month coming up for the club..  Smith may want another flag, going to get that at Geelong before us, Phillips is Langdon.. so why not throw everything at him, Brown takes the best defender, teh best tall defender, allows Weid more freedom. Just get him. 

I understand its all dependant on other clubs wanting Tom and what we get for Pruess and thats fair enough.

• Like 4