Farewell Braydon Preuss

buck_nekkid

1 hour ago, Kent said:

in my opinion it is not worth clearing him for nothing

He may be un happy to stay  but we don't need to panic and accept unders Preuss should have thought before signing contract

he may have to wait it out. But if GWS really want him they will have to pay overs

We have seldom played hard ball with players like him. I will be surprised if we don't agree to fair deal for both sides. We seem to have a good relationship with GWS I don't see us doing an Essendon and asking for way too much.

Given Preuss now needing a fresh opportunity to become a number 1 ruckman elsewhere, it was interesting to see Stef Martin last night.

Martin was a developing athletic young ruckman at the Dees and was a strong performer in the ruck when Jamar was out injured in 2011.  Obviously the Dees has Jamar and a young Max Gawn and so Martin was squeezed out at the end of 2012 after 57 games.  
Martin has now played 8 years at the Lions for 133 games and whilst he’s has a few injuries has had an excellent career.  Turns 34 in December so tough call but probably one more chance at a flag if he goes on.  

5 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Given Preuss now needing a fresh opportunity to become a number 1 ruckman elsewhere, it was interesting to see Stef Martin last night.

Martin was a developing athletic young ruckman at the Dees and was a strong performer in the ruck when Jamar was out injured in 2011.  Obviously the Dees has Jamar and a young Max Gawn and so Martin was squeezed out at the end of 2012 after 57 games.  
Martin has now played 8 years at the Lions for 133 games and whilst he’s has a few injuries has had an excellent career.  Turns 34 in December so tough call but probably one more chance at a flag if he goes on.  

Agree he has had an excellent career. However he’s out of contract and with Daniher on the way I would suggest it would be hard to hold the Big O out for the number 1 spot as there will be less room forward. 

51 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Was terrible last night and Stanley beat both the Lions ruckmen, essentially on his own.

I can see Martin retiring.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Was terrible last night and Stanley beat both the Lions ruckmen, essentially on his own.

If Martin retires, I wonder if Preuss could change his mind and try to get back to his home state...

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 11:01 AM, old dee said:

We have seldom played hard ball with players like him. I will be surprised if we don't agree to fair deal for both sides. We seem to have a good relationship with GWS I don't see us doing an Essendon and asking for way too much.

Agreed old dee. I think it’s important for the club to maintain its reputation for being fair to its players as well as being easy to deal with. And I think it’s great that it looks like we’ll be dealing with GWS - a club we’ve had good dealings with previously. I expect a swift, fair deal to be done.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Agreed old dee. I think it’s important for the club to maintain its reputation for being fair to its players as well as being easy to deal with. And I think it’s great that it looks like we’ll be dealing with GWS - a club we’ve had good dealings with previously. I expect a swift, fair deal to be done.

Not so sure about swift Nasher. With no idea of list size and dollar limit it might take while.

1 hour ago, A F said:

If Martin retires, I wonder if Preuss could change his mind and try to get back to his home state...

If that was the case, it would open up 2 clubs as possible trading partners, as Peter Wright on way out at Suns. 
However GWS need a ruckman badly and he seems to decided on them.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Redleg said:

No he did not Geelong used 3 ruckman, Stanley won 13 hit outs, blicavs won 11 and Tom Harkins won 11 hit outs 

Edited by don't make me angry

2 hours ago, don't make me angry said:

No he did not Geelong used 3 ruckman, Stanley won 13 hit outs, blicavs won 11 and Tom Harkins won 11 hit outs 

Ok, but my real point was that the Lions ruckmen were poor last night and Stanley was the Cats only actual ruckman, with Blicavs and Hawkins helping out. . 

8 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Based on last night Brisbane may be looking to change up the ruck spot.

Martin's been a warrior for them but he was terrible last night, soundly beaten in the ruck and around the ground.

I haven't watched enough of Brisbane this year to know if that was just a one off or a continuation of a trend but he was thoroughly beaten in all facets of the game and it stood out.

3 hours ago, don't make me angry said:

Hawkins only rucked the forward line, but the number of rucks Geelong used isn't the point, the point is Martin was really poor and their loss in the ruck contributed to their loss in the clearances.

It will be interesting to see if he goes on again next year.

2 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Based on last night Brisbane may be looking to change up the ruck spot.

Martin's been a warrior for them but he was terrible last night, soundly beaten in the ruck and around the ground.

I haven't watched enough of Brisbane this year to know if that was just a one off or a continuation of a trend but he was thoroughly beaten in all facets of the game and it stood out.

Hawkins only rucked the forward line, but the number of rucks Geelong used isn't the point, the point is Martin was really poor and their loss in the ruck contributed to their loss in the clearances.

It will be interesting to see if he goes on again next year.

Yes it’s probably the end for Stefan

With GWS losing a large amount of players this offseason, we may be able to use this to our advantage to trade up in the draft.

GWS will look to receive

Pick 9 for Williams (1st round compensation)

Possibly pick 11 and 13  for Cameron (forced trade with Geelong with 2 X first rounders likely)

Pick 28 for Corr (2nd round compensation)

Caldwell and Hately are both former first round draft picks and would likely command at least a 2nd round pick each. Langdon won't be a throw away pick either.

Some of these trades may involve players or future picks which makes things interesting. Given how this draft is shaping as one of the most compromised in history, and with GWS perhaps feeling burnt by young kids leaving so soon into their careers, it may make sense for them to invest these picks into a mix of established best 22 players and draftees. With some mooted interest in McDonald and established intention to recruit Preuss, this could present as a significant chance to move up into the first round rather than accumulate token picks in the 30's/40's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/18/2020 at 9:21 AM, spirit of norm smith said:

Was Martin squeezed out? I thought at the time he took off of his own volition after experiencing the first year of Neeld. He is a highly intelligent individual and the Schwab/Neeld circus of stupidity was too much for him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Was Martin squeezed out? I thought at the time he took off of his own volition after experiencing the first year of Neeld. He is a highly intelligent individual and the Schwab/Neeld circus of stupidity was too much for him. 

I stand to be corrected, but... the issue was two fold.  Firstly Mitch Clark cut his grass and secondly how the club treated Stef when he came forward to complain about an issue.  Very untidy and left a bad taste in his mouth.  

On 10/18/2020 at 6:29 AM, big_red_fire_engine said:

Agree he (Steph Martin) has had an excellent career. However he’s out of contract and with Daniher on the way I would suggest it would be hard to hold the Big O out for the number 1 spot as there will be less room forward. 

Daniher can occupy a spot on their injury list as long as they wish. 

On 10/18/2020 at 10:35 AM, Nasher said:

Hopefully fair, but not easy in the pushover sense. 

21 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Does the club have high hopes for Austin Bradtke?   He has showed some promise for Casey.

2020 was an absolute disaster for any developing player at any level.  So, who knows?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/22/2020 at 8:03 PM, Earl Hood said:

There was that, and some other personal issues at the time that meant a change of state, both physical and mental, was a good idea too.

6 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

Trade radio reporting a deal for Preuss might get done today.

No details and not sure if they're tslking out their a$$

Thanks for the update @Unleash Hell, keen to see what happens.

17 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

Trade radio reporting a deal for Preuss might get done today.

No details and not sure if they're tslking out their a$$

Would like to get pick 31 from GWS (and T Greene or Whitfield as steak knives!)

More likely it would be 44, or a future third round. We're not ones to demand the world.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

I think many of you are underestimating the value of Preuss to GWS who are desperate for a ruck.  He's a starting 22 quality ruck who has been competitive against the best (Grundy this year) and he's contracted which means we've got the whip hand.  Why would we trade him to GWS and not look to get something substantial.  They are not going to get better. And as has been discussed, we are weakening our own ruck situation and having to find a mature back up for Gawn.  Why would we do that for a nothing pick?

I'm hopeful of a good draft pick for him, but having said that, I'm often very wrong with these things.

• Like 10