Jack Watts Retires

dazzledavey36

Beautiful kick and much loved character. Didn’t have the temperament of professionalism to optimise his undoubted talent but 174 games is still an outstanding effort.

Will always be welcome at the footy club. Thanks for the memories and best of luck in retirement Jack.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Can't you just wish the bloke all the best in his retirement?

Why do you feel the need to pat yourself on the back about your feelings on the trade?

Disgraceful post.  You should be embarrassed.

I'm not having a go at jack personally. But I'm allowed to have my opinions on him the player. He was gifted about 100 games. and wasn't a starting 18 quality player on any list. 

the fact that he is 'polarizing' is just a reflection of some supporters inability to admit that he just wasn't good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Every Melbourne supporter should be thankful for his contribution to our club.

Was he inconsistent?  Yes.

Was he polarising?  Yes.

Did he absolutely love this club like we do?  Yes.

It's a shame things ended the way they did, but I loved it when Jack was up and about.  

Thanks for everything, Jack, and good luck in retirement.

Agree 100%... my son and I still have great memories of sitting behind the goals and watching him storm down the flank to wrap up the QB game a few years back.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

His best was as good as it gets. His worst was as bad as it gets. Much of the ordinary games in the middle he was serviceable like most other AFL players.

At a club with a horrible history of stuffing up really good young footballers, this one stands out. Unforgiveable by MFC footy department at the time to play him in that QB game,  when he should have spent at least 12 months (probably longer) developing. The fact he got 178 games is testament to his natural ability, resilience and perseverance.

My best memory is of him having a bounce along the southern wing, and then out of nowhere lets go a 45 degree, 45 metre pass to space for Trengove to mark and goal at the Punt Rd end. Only Yze, Trav Johnstone and Watts coud kick like this. He was so frustrating to watch when going for the ball, but with ball in hand I could relax and watch with confidence in his precision. 

Isn't it strange that we could use a player with exactly his skill set right now!

Edited by Maldonboy38
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Dr.D said:

I'm not having a go at jack personally. But I'm allowed to have my opinions on him the player. He was gifted about 100 games. and wasn't a starting 18 quality player on any list. 

the fact that he is 'polarizing' is just a reflection of some supporters inability to admit that he just wasn't good.

Good to hear people's opinion however a number of your comments are not supported by any evidence or facts such as "gifted about 100 games".

I doubt anybody would agree with you so I'm wondering what metric or measure you used ?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Loved the magic you showed.

Some memories and that unforgettable goal - forever my favourite moment of your career.

Hard not to tear up seeing that again.?

All the best.  Thanks for some great memories and your love of the dees.

End of an era.

It was fun putting that little video together, and I'm well glad that something positive came out of the Jack Watts career!

Still, I wonder what could have been had the club been in a better place to develop him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr.D said:

I remember when half of demonland was up in arms when we shafted Watts to Port Adelaide for nothing. 

I was one of a few that maintained that we would not miss Watt and he wouldn't do anything at Port because he is still soft. 

it was yet another confirmation of Melb supporters overrating their players 

I was wondering who the first goose was going to be... Kudos to you. For me gone are the days of getting a few more told you so's on the way out. 

• Like 6

Looking forward to the Open Mike, I was amazed he survived the Neeld era. While he enjoys his fun, he always showed levels of class and respect in his dealings with fans that was 1st class. 

For mine, at the right club, he would have been a mega star, we were not the right club to get the best out of him. 

Travel well Jack.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Grapeviney said:

This goal was one for the ages.
The pressure of the moment and he has the audacity to take a left handed bounce ....
And I'd like to shout out OMac for the great little "Runner" to Harmes.

Another memory I had was when I took my young kids to training out at Casey.
Watts and Colin Sylvia couldn't have been better with them.
Both maligned but I'll always be thankful they had time for the kids.
Both Supa stars that day in my eyes.

Jeremy Howe on the other hand ..... A [censored].

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Grapeviney said:

It's hard to think of a more polarising player in the modern era, and I'll never forget the 2017 B & F when large sections of the room booed when Jack's departure was mentioned.

My favourite version of the different calls of QB 2017 is from 3AW - Tim Lane nails the drama of the occasion, and I love how you can see and hear the crowd rise in expectation as the ball travels down the southern wing. 

I just watched this again, 7 times, and got a chill every time!!

• Like 3

He’s probably copped more scrutiny from the media and footy watchers than any player in history. From day one he was billed as a messiah and could never live up to the external pressures placed on him.

He was a beautiful kick and won matches for us. He stuck with us during [censored] times for the club when he would’ve bad bugger all support. He was always friendly when I met him and though it was probably the right move to trade him, I was still sad to see him go.

All the best Jack.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Cranky Franky said:

Good to hear people's opinion however a number of your comments are not supported by any evidence or facts such as "gifted about 100 games".

I doubt anybody would agree with you so I'm wondering what metric or measure you used ?

it's an opinion. I worked for Casey scorpions and watched him played weekly for Casey. and he didn't even play well at vfl level so that's why i say he was gifted 100 games. 

2 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

His best was as good as it gets. His worst was as bad as it gets. Much of the ordinary games in the middle he was serviceable like most other AFL players.

At a club with a horrible history of stuffing up really good young footballers, this one stands out. Unforgiveable by MFC footy department at the time to play him in that QB game,  when he should have spent at least 12 months (probably longer) developing. The fact he got 178 games is testament to his natural ability, resilience and perseverance.

My best memory is of him having a bounce along the southern wing, and then out of nowhere lets go a 45 degree, 45 metre pass to space for Trengove to mark and goal at the Punt Rd end. Only Yze, Trav Johnstone and Watts coud kick like this. He was so frustrating to watch when going for the ball, but with ball in hand I could relax and watch with confidence in his precision. 

Isn't it strange that we could use a player with exactly his skill set right now!

His best was "as good as it gets"? geez, bit of an overstatement.  He averaged 1.3 brownlow votes per season over 11 seasons. Thats "as good as it gets"?

Edited by Dr.D
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Flower Magic said:

Another sad piece of news in this s--t of a year. Always loved watching him play, very angry when the club traded him.

Wishing him a happy and bright future in whatever he chooses to do. 

why were you angry? wasn't 8 years of below average footy enough?

• Angry 1

5 minutes ago, pinkshark said:

Loved him.  Should never have traded him.  Stupid. Haven't rated Goodwin ever since.  

can i ask why? being genuine here.  He showed at melbourne that he struggled at afl level and probably got saved from being delisted by melbourne having new coaches all the time. And he did nothing at Port which showed we probably should have cut him 4 years earlier. baffling comment from a guy that never made the grade. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

can i ask why? being genuine here.  He showed at melbourne that he struggled at afl level and probably got saved from being delisted by melbourne having new coaches all the time. And he did nothing at Port which showed we probably should have cut him 4 years earlier. baffling comment from a guy that never made the grade. 

I really hope @pinksharkdoesn't respond to that.  You are just trying to create a platform to continue to denigrate Jack. 

You didn't value him fine.  But let others that did show their love, respect and appreciation.  No needs to explain how they feel.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

As you say he did struggle at Melbourne but was surrounded by [censored] players and coaches. His kicking, vision and marking were qualities that we had in no other.  Dead eye [censored] for set shot goals as well.  Again, we had none of them.  In short he was a highly talented player and again we don't have many of them.  He carried us in the first six rounds of the year of his sacking before he was hurt.

Goodwin's public non support of him [censored] me off.   Wattsy had been through tough times in the red and blue and deserved more from the club.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Dr D, just like all the other JW threads this has turned into merde, bump one of them (that are not locked), this thread was about wishing a bloke good luck and farewell, show some class.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

Dr D, just like all the other JW threads this has turned into merde, bump one of them (that are not locked), this thread was about wishing a bloke good luck and farewell, show some class.

im happy to but please everyone stop the 'watts was a good player' sort of talk and if you like Jack Watts it's because you like him as a person. He probably should've been cut 4 years earlier. And to me, it's no surprise that the year we got rid of him, we made a prelim.