Jay Lockhart

dazzledavey36

Hibberd dropping deeper has really replaced Nev and Lockhart is used in short bursts off the bench at half back covering a lot of ground at speed.

Has a habit of dropping marks under perceived pressure despite being a great mark and tough as old boots. Hopefully he cleans that up. 

Otherwise he just has to keep working on his kicking and decision making. His ability to get out of traffic is really good. 

• Like 1

I liked this bloke when he arrived at Casey.  No nonsense but delivered the footy. Good at 1%s. Played strong footy in the back pocket in 2018 before moving into a midfield role.  

Thought it was a good move and a reward for Jay when we signed him up.  He had an okay 2019 in a tough year for the club. 

He has the courage needed for a back pocket.  Good pace. Good tackle.  Good 2nd efforts. Good skill. Intensity to play on small forwards.  

Tonight he played well.  But yes he needs better boots as he slipped over twice at crucial times. 

• Like 1

Yeah I gotta jump on board here as well he is getting better each week. Doesn't need 20 possessions to make an impact and makes timely interventions. With the ball in the air he goes straight at it regardless of what is coming. Bravo sir

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Seriously not enough love for this guy. Throws himself at every content's and won some genuine won on won's down back. Loved his intercept mark in the first quarter also.

Dazzle, please.  Agree otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Deefensive Language said:

Loved the moment when he sprinted back to the goal line to contest a ball and cannonned into the point post. Great closing speed.

Can he and Rivers play in the same team? I know they have different attributes, but in terms of experience level for the lead in to potential finals.

I think Rivers is competing with Hibberd, Salem and even Harmes in the medium back defender role. Given Hibberd is 31 before the start of next season, I think there will be a transition period over the next 12-24 months. 

• Like 3

Liked him more as a forward originally, but I think they have it right grooming him as the long term small defender.

The 2 games I’ve been to live have shown me how quick he closes space, and he was running around like a mad man last night, in a good way.

Edited by Forest Demon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, deanox said:

I think Rivers is competing with Hibberd, Salem and even Harmes in the medium back defender role. Given Hibberd is 31 before the start of next season, I think there will be a transition period over the next 12-24 months. 

Totally correct Deanox BUT kudos to Hibbo ha has despite a tough year ( brother etc) ha has lost weight I'd ba k to 2018 form and disposal is up to scratch again.

However   you are correct Jay is a Real footballer in the trenches with some class and aggression to boot and is Nevs replacement.

Trent is a 200 gamer if ever there is one and will I believe ( no pressure) be linked with our HB greats like Brett Lovett Don Williams Tony Anderson and Ian Thorogood. (May even have mid field skill) 

He is ATM fighting Harmes Hibbo and Salem ( maybe Hore if fit snd in form) but will hold his place very soon in our best 22  going forward prob in 2021.

Good times at Half Back snd in the pocket also.

V important also it appears that the Coaches and FD also have the same views about Jay and Trent.

Now all they need to do Is trial Joel Smith  back as a forward !!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Skuit said:

Dazzle, please.  Agree otherwise. 

50 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Always suspected you were Lynden Dunn.  Confirmed. 

I think I ended up Steele Sidebottoming last night.. (without the nudity) 

???

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 10:40 PM, DeeSpencer said:

Hibberd dropping deeper has really replaced Nev and Lockhart is used in short bursts off the bench at half back covering a lot of ground at speed.

Has a habit of dropping marks under perceived pressure despite being a great mark and tough as old boots. Hopefully he cleans that up. 

Otherwise he just has to keep working on his kicking and decision making. His ability to get out of traffic is really good. 

How on earth can you identify that Hibberd's dropped deeper and Lockhart is at half-back when watching on TV?  That's well beyond my skill set.

• Haha 1

Justifying his place in the team as a small defender. Glad the coaching staff finally started playing him after stuffing up their decisions earlier this year.

He needs to work on shifting his weight and balance, as he goes to ground a lot still when trying to judge ball in flight and changing direction. Once he does that, he'll be a very solid small defender. His kicking is usually good and he's got a bit of aggression too.

I'm a fan!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roy11 said:

Curious who'd get that spot if Hore wasn't crocked

Not even a contest We are talking about a small defenders spot not an interceptor like Jake which Hore is mainly like for like.

JAy is progressing nicely and live his Never Say Die attack on the ball and pace and aggression and line breaks We need that in our defence.

Winder if he could play as a winger also go give us versatility?

Hore not quick enough fir smalls and heavy enough for big talls Maybe a third or intercepting defender (when Jake out injured) but think Rivers will covet that spot by seasons end.

38 minutes ago, 58er said:

Not even a contest We are talking about a small defenders spot not an interceptor like Jake which Hore is mainly like for like.

JAy is progressing nicely and live his Never Say Die attack on the ball and pace and aggression and line breaks We need that in our defence.

Hore not quick enough fir smalls and heavy enough for big talls Maybe a third or intercepting defender (when Jake out injured) but think Rivers will covet that spot by seasons end.

I am wondering if we could use him as a defensive forward this week! The backline is working but the lack of forward line pressure was appalling last week and opened us up as the dogs streamed out of our F50 in numbers time after time especially in the 3rd. 

4 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

I am wondering if we could use him as a defensive forward this week! The backline is working but the lack of forward line pressure was appalling last week and opened us up as the dogs streamed out of our F50 in numbers time after time especially in the 3rd. 

wait...so yr saying the backline is working....but you want to take the #1 small defender out of it?

not sure i get the logic to doing so 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 58er said:

Hore would come in and take the position that Tomlinson is... filling, right now. 

• Like 1

Hore will probably get delisted IMV. Good enough interceptor, turnover merchant by foot.

Reckon Lockhart is a neat, handy small defender that will get better with more game time. 

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, A F said:

Hore will probably get delisted IMV. Good enough interceptor, turnover merchant by foot.

Reckon Lockhart is a neat, handy small defender that will get better with more game time. 

agreed

not sure whether hore is in an unfortunate position to be injured and out of contract and unable to play or fortunate to be injured and out of contract and unable to play

it makes it hard to judge him comparative to the players he's in competition with for a role in the side, but given expected list cuts his status might be an easy decision to make

• Like 1