Has There Been A Better Recruit This Year Than Langdon?

WERRIDEE

Just now, DubDee said:

Good call Werridee.  19 uncontested possessions last night, 82% efficiency.  what we have been crying out for, for years.

Everyone talks about his poor disposal but while he is not elite his disposal is good.  he knows his limitations. Has pace and great intensity and tackling.  will only get better when the team get used to looking up and wide and knowing he will be free

It is interesting, potentially he got the bad rap by spraying some possessions in games when the spot light was on us.  certainly looked quick and fit yesterday.  I wouldnt under-estimate the role of confidence

His work rate is off the charts. One of the most hard working wingman we've had since Stephen Tingay.

Has only played 77 games would you believe. Can't wait until he is up around 100 game mark. Reckon the best is yet to come with 'Lingers'

• Like 5
  • Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Darren Burgess is the recruit of the year for mine.

Won 7 last quarters and lost 2

Add very few injuries too. Compare that to Misson it's chalk and cheese. Recruit of the century if you ask me.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

Add very few injuries too. Compare that to Misson it's chalk and cheese. Recruit of the century if you ask me.

Touch wood or something please...

Langdon has had a few quieter weeks recently, but he's giving us exactly what we needed - a hard two-way running wingman. He's getting into, and creating, space for us offensively. Defensively he's working back hard and helping to block space. He won't get a stat or recognition for it, but last night he allowed Lever to leave his man and intercept because he worked back so hard to block space. It was brilliant defensive running, and something the rest of our midfield need to get better at.

His disposal isn't the best, but he often links up with Salem and other to make sure we have the right kicker going inside 50. 

Tipping a top 5 BnF finish for him. Definitely a great recruit for us and still only young with more improvement to come!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Hes given us something we have lacked for years - a gut runner with speed in the midfield.

Hes been a great pickup but unfortunately he also bought poor kicking with him.  Someone get in his ear about that ball drop.

Jones was a gut runner for years, not Quick but not slow.

1 hour ago, tiers said:

He runs and runs and runs. He is the Energiser man who plays like a wingman of old - up and down his flank with a regular support role in  defence and not hunting for goals. Good pick up.

I'm curious as to what your definition of "old" is when you say "plays like a wingman of old".

I'm in my 60s, and to me "a wingman of old" means a wingman of the 60s and 70s. Those guys didn't run all the way into defence or necessarily all the way forward. They pretty much stayed in the traditional wingman's position, playing one-on-one with their opponent. Of course, in those days, most players, other than ruckman, ruck-rover and rover, stayed relatively close to their nominal positions on the ground.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRIGON said:

Tim Kelly for quality, Dan Butler for value.

Nonetheless, Langdon has brought us much-needed outside run.

Tim Kelly has been ordinary at WC, he has played maybe 3 or 4 good games. 
Butler has been enormous for the saints and I believe Langdon has been a great pick up. 

2 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Tipping a top 5 BnF finish for him. Definitely a great recruit for us and still only young with more improvement to come!

Not knocking the sentiment, but it's going to be a very tough top 5 to get into when you have Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Viney (good season and huge B+F poller) and May all involved.

Setting aside any hyperbole, it is great to have a respectable quality player offering something we were deficient in.

Strange to think that our recruiting has actually been bang on for filling our list holes in the last few years, and really the only remaining structural gap is the Hogan-sized hole up forward, which we can at least now move to 'fingers crossed' condition on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

How long is Burgess contracted for?

Sign him up until 2030.  

Been trying to get that question answered since we signed him.

The articles etc at the time seemed to hint that it was just for the one year (at least to start with).

Butler has been quiet so far he's no Langdon.

• Haha 1

I've been really impressed with Langdon. Not many players combine speed and endurance the way he does and while he's not a beautiful user of the ball, he generally knows his own limitations and keeps it simple.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Been trying to get that question answered since we signed him.

The articles etc at the time seemed to hint that it was just for the one year (at least to start with).

Yeah i recall talk when we got him that it was just for 1 season.  Would really suck if he left so soon.

• Like 1