Tom McDonald

Elegt

Has to go, his 2018 was like the clubs 2018.. an aberration, has hardly fired a shot since. I like Tom, i like all the players, but he is not the future, if someone offered a second rounder, the club would be derelict to not take it... he is lame and it may not get better, he isnt 21.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, P-man said:

Was mentioned in one of the Fox segments that he might be a worth a late second rounder to a club looking for a key defender. Would be taking that and running at full pelt.

wow... where do we sign

Forget the pick... even finding another club to pick up his full contract would be a win

• Like 2

6 hours ago, P-man said:

Was mentioned in one of the Fox segments that he might be a worth a late second rounder to a club looking for a key defender. Would be taking that and running at full pelt.

979EF539-B5E2-4C6A-ADC5-C26ED388CE3D.gif.f081ae20502cfbc97a4561f7ea7be209.gif

Tom Mac for a late 2nd rounder. Really. Wow. 
I’m signing now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Seems ludicrous to me that you’d ask a player to put on 10kg who has been hampered by foot injuries. 

As ludicrousas taking advice from demonland posters over trained professionals?

• Haha 1

If Tommy is still at the club next year he needs to be given a chance to shift back to defense. Whatever forward capabilities he had in the past has clearly gone so let's see if we can get back the decent defender he was.

It's that or he gets shopped around and I doubt we'd get anything better than a late third rounder.

17 hours ago, binman said:

It was stated as fact by a poster around the time of the blues game.

The poster's name escapes me and i don't recall them posting for some time (though was prolific poster at that point).

We had a number of back and forth posts about it as in the immortal of Sy Richardson's character, Lite, from Repo Man 'I called [censored] on that'.

As if the club in this day and age would ask an already big, 27 year old power forward to put on 10kgs to play deep full forward (which as i pointed out to said poster they didn't even play him in thta position agnst the blues, or subsequently as it has turned out). 

Thanks. As I suspected it's complete garbage.

FWIW, if we know TMac's issues are fitness/injury, I'm all for re-starting him at FF in 2021. Getting him back to his 2018 level will change us more than any other single player could IMO.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Getting him back to his 2018 level will change us more than any other single player could IMO.

Totally. i don't think it can be underestimated how a big the impact has been this year (and last season for that matter) not having tmac at his best. A case could be made that he is our most important player given our struggles to put a winning score on the board.

His importance has been amplified by the failure of Weideman to come on. Weed has been ok this season, but just ok. yes he has kicked some goals and competes pretty well in the air and creates contests. But if you look at his stats he is nest to useless once the ball hits the deck - he gets very few possessions, sweet FA tackles and has been putting almost no pressure on in these last few critical weeks.

To be honest the freo game was the final straw for me. After only having two possessions against the swans my expectation of him as our key forward was to go hell for leather. He trotted around like a player who didn't want to get hurt. Or worse like aplayer who had no care or passion for his club.

I don't ever recall saying this about a player but if it were up to me i'd trade him at seasons end. His trade value won't get any greater and maybe the pies want a Weideman at their club.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, binman said:

Totally. i don't think it can be underestimated how a big the impact has been this year (and last season for that matter) not having tmac at his best. A case could be made that he is our most important player given our struggles to put a winning score on the board.

His importance has been amplified by the failure of Weideman to come on. Weed has been ok this season, but just ok. yes he has kicked some goals and competes pretty well in the air and creates contests. But if you look at his stats he is nest to useless once the ball hits the deck - he gets very few possessions, sweet FA tackles and has been putting almost no pressure on in these last few critical weeks.

To be honest the freo game was the final straw for me. After only having two possessions against the swans my expectation of him as our key forward was to go hell for leather. He trotted around like a player who didn't want to get hurt. Or worse like aplayer who had no care or passion for his club.

I don't ever recall saying this about a player but if it were up to me i'd trade him at seasons end. His trade value won't get any greater and maybe the pies want a Weideman at their club.  

Could not agree more binman from memory I think he kicked 35+ Goals that season and Hogan 47 that 80 goals has not been replaced 30 goals   from Tom this year and we would be in the top four. I have been saying all year that it is the forward line that is the problem. Weideman will never be more than an average KPF. Whatever is wrong with Tom I hope they get him right over summer, he is a good mark a good kick for goal and he can be a useful ruckman if used sparingly. Also not a bad backman. Talents like him do not go grow on trees. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

FWIW, if we know TMac's issues are fitness/injury, I'm all for re-starting him at FF in 2021. Getting him back to his 2018 level will change us more than any other single player could IMO.

You have my vote.

6 hours ago, dee-tox said:

Hasn't fired a shot in two years. That's around 1.3 million wasted.

Has turning circle of QE2. Has lost pace and seems top heavy.

Can't see Tom getting any better at his age. I'd move him on now.

Hasn't fired a shot? I thought he kicked 6 in three quarters against Carltank before doing his knee last year. I agree with Titan, FF next year.

3 hours ago, jnrmac said:

The same trained professionals that cruelled Trengove's career perhaps

Turns out Danks special cream didn't work.

But back to Tom. Be as critical as you won't but.

A - you're speculating.

B - science doesn't have all the answers on the human body.

He was so instrumental in 2018 it's amazing people coming on here and bagging the bloke who is obviously trying to play injured. Unfortunately it's been two seasons now so don't know that he'll come good.

On 8/22/2020 at 5:34 PM, Elegt said:

his half hearted efforts are

On 8/22/2020 at 5:51 PM, titan_uranus said:

As is too often the case, you're wrong.

His efforts are fine.

His ability is the problem.

His body seems to b the problem.   

7 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

We need an independent assessment of his injury issues and prognosis before we just shift him on.

IF the physical prognosis is good then put him in cotton wool now and get hum ready for 2021,

6 hours ago, jnrmac said:

The same trained professionals that cruelled Trengove's career perhaps

I believe that the whole 'medical' staff has move on since then - can anyone elaborate?

42 minutes ago, loges said:

He was so instrumental in 2018 it's amazing people coming on here and bagging the bloke who is obviously trying to play injured. Unfortunately it's been two seasons now so don't know that he'll come good.

I agree that he is so [censored] thst he must be injured. I can reel off probably 100 forwards in country and the amateur leagues that are currently better than Tom McDonald. he is so far beneath the standard. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

I agree that he is so [censored] thst he must be injured. I can reel off probably 100 forwards in country and the amateur leagues that are currently better than Tom McDonald. he is so far beneath the standard. 

Please do.

I look forward to rewarding your list. Please include the name of the team each forward plays for.

by the by i could name about 500 AFL players who can kick better than Oliver.

10 minutes ago, binman said:

Please do.

I look forward to rewarding your list. Please include the name of the team each forward plays for.

by the by i could name about 500 AFL players who can kick better than Oliver.

Yep and reading some of the comments on this thread  makes me glad they are not in the FD.

9 hours ago, binman said:

I don't agree on Weideman, other than that he needs to do better when the ball hits the deck.

He has no key forward support. Whether it's an unfit/out of form TMac, Brown or Preuss, he's not just the number 1 forward but the only key forward our opponent has to care about. He therefore cops it unless we're moving the ball quickly and getting him in space, which against Sydney and Fremantle we never did. He's being sat on in packs and double-teamed, he can't get space, and he can't get into the game.

He continues to present, he continues to make marking contests where he can, and he's averaging nearly 2 goals a game.

IMO, if we had someone at or near 2018 TMac, Weid would improve considerably (but as I said, I agree that he needs to show a bit more by way of defensive pressure). Again, all roads leading back to missing a second tall forward of any competence.

• Like 2

Tom has 2 years left on his contract and key position players don't grow on trees. he had major surgery on his knee last year and also became a dad. He would not be the first footballer to go off the boil with the disruption of a newborn. Same with Viney, he and Charlotte have a new born taken to the hub along with the McDonalds. Unless you are in the club we have no idea how they are coping with the lifestyle change. Tom as stated today is a required player.