• Podcast:      

• Podcast:      

Training Ground?

Romey

35 minutes ago, Gouga said:

Beggars can't be choosers? 

Correct, we just need to get our foot in the door so we can get on the gravy train of repeated upgrades, etc, that the other clubs have shown is well and truly in place.

ATM we're watching the train go round and round on a circular track and we're not even on the platform.

Edited by Mazer Rackham
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gouga said:

Beggars can't be choosers? 

I think AAMI Park is only hosting 6 WWC games, so I am sure the facility is being designed with both the WWC and the MFC in mind.

If the Government funds the build and we just pay for the refit I think we have done well.   

Trouble is the WWC happens in July 2023...18 months away.  No announcements about any build, and even if that happens, how is something built in that period of time? 

1 hour ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Trouble is the WWC happens in July 2023...18 months away.  No announcements about any build, and even if that happens, how is something built in that period of time? 

Yep we are still working out the price of a train to the airport. If we have a facility before the end of this decade I will be surprised. 

1 hour ago, george_on_the_outer said:

What will happen George is we will be sent to Casey for the duration of the tournament. When over we will be back to our current facilities. Contrary to a lot of others on here I don't think there is anything wrong with Casey we won a flag from there in 2021. 

• Like 6

On 1/5/2022 at 4:16 AM, Earl Hood said:

His student’s name escapes me but she is ranked number 34 in the world. 

...not Peng Shuai, me thinks...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, old dee said:

Yep we are still working out the price of a train to the airport. If we have a facility before the end of this decade I will be surprised. 

Yes, but I'm pretty sure you thought that about a Premiership not that long ago.

• Haha 1

I think besides winning more AFL and AFLW Premierships the main priority for the Melbourne Football Club needs to be getting our home base sorted.

Hopefully this matter will be addressed at the Melbourne Football Club's Annual General Meeting in a few weeks time?

While it is absolutely wonderful that we have finally broken our Premiership drought after 57 years that doesn't mean we should rest on our laurels regarding this matter of a home base.

• Like 3

On 1/5/2022 at 11:16 AM, Earl Hood said:

Rode past Gosch’s this morning as part of my new year’s resolution to get back in the saddle and lose some kilos. The good news is the works are due to be completed in May this year. Hopefully training gets relocated there from its current interstate location out at Casey! 

It used to be that a ground needed 12 months to settle after being re surfaced.

That would mean we are not on it until May 2023.

New technology might have improved the settling time but I still couldn't see it being used this year apart from community dog walking perhaps...

1 hour ago, Supreme_Demon said:

I think besides winning more AFL and AFLW Premierships the main priority for the Melbourne Football Club needs to be getting our home base sorted.

Hopefully this matter will be addressed at the Melbourne Football Club's Annual General Meeting in a few weeks time?

While it is absolutely wonderful that we have finally broken our Premiership drought after 57 years that doesn't mean we should rest on our laurels regarding this matter of a home base.

Excuse me, but you're resting on my laurels." 7/12/11 | Funny cartoons,  Cartoon jokes, Bizarro comic

On 1/6/2022 at 11:33 AM, daisycutter said:

???? what gave you the idea we had "zero input" ????

OK, so maybe I'm being a little alarmist. Just my possibly skewed interpretation of Pert saying he'd seen the plans as opposed to something like - we've been working on the plans or even 'our' plans. I'd have to agree with @Gouga with the beggars can't be choosers theory. I just hope it suits/fits our needs for the first time in decades. Have we established that it's in Car Park F yet?

19 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

OK, so maybe I'm being a little alarmist. Just my possibly skewed interpretation of Pert saying he'd seen the plans as opposed to something like - we've been working on the plans or even 'our' plans. I'd have to agree with @Gouga with the beggars can't be choosers theory. I just hope it suits/fits our needs for the first time in decades. Have we established that it's in Car Park F yet?

i think we are all sweating on some detail

but i think it inconceivable that we haven't had good input.  roffey has hinted very strongly we have and this is an area she has great credentials and experience with

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rjay said:

New technology might have improved the settling time but I still couldn't see it being used this year apart from community dog walking perhaps...

Good point I hadn’t taken that issue into account. However I remember they stripped back the other playing surfaces outside AAMI, about 3 years ago, did some levelling and then recovered with new turf. This is the training ground for Melbourne Storm and the Rebels. From vague memory they were back training on it within a month or so? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rjay said:

If the works won't be finished till May, then the turf won't be doing much growing / establishing over the winter period. It will therefore likely to be at least the end of Spring before it will be ready IMO.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Good point I hadn’t taken that issue into account. However I remember they stripped back the other playing surfaces outside AAMI, about 3 years ago, did some levelling and then recovered with new turf. This is the training ground for Melbourne Storm and the Rebels. From vague memory they were back training on it within a month or so? 

As long as we wait for a suitable stable safe surface - horror memories of #5 Ox on some second rate training surface preseason ?1994 😡😱

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Gosch’s Paddock update. I guess the drainage & irrigation piping has been laid since my last inspection, now they have laid down a heap of sand and the surveyors were out this morning checking the levels. Seems like a heap of sand, so what’s next, a layer of soil or do we go straight to laying instant turf? Anyway things are certainly moving toward the May completion target date. Hanging out for training to return home. Casey is too far away for me and with the ground gates closed why would you bother to make the pilgrimage? 

947C9231-9C00-4AFB-B9E4-1E3946D01F8D.jpeg

F1D4528D-861B-46F3-8134-B1CF0FC3D353.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 8

13 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Gosch’s Paddock update. I guess the drainage & irrigation piping has been laid since my last inspection, now they have laid down a heap of sand and the surveyors were out this morning checking the levels. Seems like a heap of sand, so what’s next, a layer of soil or do we go straight to laying instant turf? Anyway things are certainly moving toward the May completion target date. Hanging out for training to return home. Casey is too far away for me and with the ground gates closed why would you bother to make the pilgrimage? 

947C9231-9C00-4AFB-B9E4-1E3946D01F8D.jpeg

F1D4528D-861B-46F3-8134-B1CF0FC3D353.jpeg

Proof that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. 

Which metaphorically seems to be the Board's position with the election candidates, too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Earl can you tell how they have been able to increase the size of the oval. Have they removed trees or have they just moved the old fence 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Its Time for Back to Back said:

Earl can you tell how they have been able to increase the size of the oval. Have they removed trees or have they just moved the old fence 

The thought of an inner suburban council removing trees is inconceivable. You'd have to get the bolt cutters out first to cut the chains off the protesters.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Seems like a heap of sand, so what’s next, a layer of soil or do we go straight to laying instant turf?

No need for soil, sand is the growing medium. That's the standard for things like golf greens.

You can seed directly into the sand but it can take a few months to grow. For quicker results lay instant turf, although it's far more expensive.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Its Time for Back to Back said:

1 hour ago, mo64 said:

The thought of an inner suburban council removing trees is inconceivable. You'd have to get the bolt cutters out first to cut the chains off the protesters.

They worked out a very nice compromise. No trees removed, but the ground is much larger, in an attractive "kidney" shape. It's a little non-traditional, but should really help with unpredictable ball movement and give the boys a considerable advantage in matches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, mo64 said:

Not necessarily. The Melbourne City Council has been public about having to remove trees because some had reached their "end of life" and others weren't coping with the effects of climate change.  I seem to recall it was primarily the elm trees they were talking about. The Council was speaking generically, not specifically about Gosch's Paddock, though. 

• Like 1