WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - LUKE JACKSON

Lord Nev

23 minutes ago, No Plan B said:

Turned a GF on its head in his second year. Incredible. 

The Bulldogs clearly done their homework on Max Gawn. Jackson brought something else, and it was exactly what we needed. How do you plan for a ruckman who has a crack and gathers the ball like a quality ruck rover. His hands are like Oliver’s, yet he’s our ruck. God knows how well afford the kid when the time comes. But he’s already played a huge part in us winning a flag.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I made prediction at the start of the season that he would win the Rising Star Award and would take his game to a new level this year.

He got injured last year and maybe if he had stayed fit he would have helped get us into the finals, well he has certainly taken the AFL by storm and changed the way ruckmen play and in the process has challanged Gawn to get better or get out of the way.

• Like 1

His chase on JJ to impact the kick when things weren’t going well impressed me as much as anything. 

A full preseason with Ben Brown teaching him leading patterns could take his forward game to another level.

Early in the year when we went smaller he had a much bigger role up forward and had some great games but it was mostly when the play came to him.

His forward game started to come on and hopefully just keeps getting better 

• Love 1

Based on this Jackson isn't going 'Home' or anywhere else as some have feared.

"I've thought about [my season] quite a bit. To be able to play more ruck this year and be able to help Maxy out has definitely helped my game. Hopefully we'll keep doing it as the seasons go on. I've just loved my time this year," Jackson said.

he-s-unreal-how-father-figure-max-shaped-rising-star-s-game

Wouldn't be surprised if he signs a contract extension during the off-season.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Premiers said:

Based on this Jackson isn't going 'Home' or anywhere else as some have feared.

"I've thought about [my season] quite a bit. To be able to play more ruck this year and be able to help Maxy out has definitely helped my game. Hopefully we'll keep doing it as the seasons go on. I've just loved my time this year," Jackson said.

he-s-unreal-how-father-figure-max-shaped-rising-star-s-game

Wouldn't be surprised if he signs a contract extension during the off-season.

He said on the podcast that he loves Melbourne (the city) and is not homesick at all. I think we can all agree the kid doesn’t come across as a master  manipulator. Take him at face value. He wants to stay. 
The only thing stopping him from signing a long term deal is probably his manager knowing that in two years time he will be worth $900k a season and now he’s probably only going to get $500k. And that’s a lot more fake teeth! 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 4

Not sure whether anyone else picked up on it but Gary Lyon made a very interesting comment in response to a question from a caller this morning. Luke Jackson's parents told Gary that Luke is very happy in Melbourne and has no intention of going back to Perth.  In fact his parents said they would like to move to Melbourne! If true (and I’ve no reason to think Gary would fib about something like that) I think its fantastic news. I’m so hoping his parents make the move.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, BDA said:

Not sure whether anyone else picked up on it but Gary Lyon made a very interesting comment in response to a question from a caller this morning. Luke Jackson's parents told Gary that Luke is very happy in Melbourne and has no intention of going back to Perth.  In fact his parents said they would like to move to Melbourne! If true (and I’ve no reason to think Gary would fib about something like that) I think its fantastic news. I’m so hoping his parents make the move.

Got the link by any chance?

Seriously, what a player. Goes down in history as being one of the primary contributors in the best, and most important, 15 minutes of footy I’ve watched this club play in my lifetime. I’ll be rewatching that third quarter for a long long time to come.

• Like 6

No club in the comp has got the capacity to combat and compete the Gawn/Jackson combo, we have a distinct advantage we have to make the most of in the next 5 years.

ACTION JACKSON is a once in a generation player along with Gawn, he is so agile and flexible below his knees. 

Absolutely smashed Martin in the 3 quarter to break the game open, We are blessed to have him.

2019 season well worth it.😂😂😂😂😂🇭🇹🏆🥇🔴🔵💸

• Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 4:00 PM, Bimbo said:

Thanks for that hint.

I have just spent a very happy half hour trawling through some of the pre-draft comments.

I can say however well done to Mach5 and Wells 11 who were among the early supporters.

Don’t remember it, but I’ll take it. Just happy he’s ours.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 11:12 AM, Demon3 said:

We do need another big forward, but this guy is going to take 3 years minimum to make a real big impact. I will be FILTHY if we ignore what we need so desperately, skill, poise and pace off half back. its right there for us, we desperately need skill in the side. if we pas sup Young then i will be seriously disillusioned with my club. 

How’s the disillusionment going for you?

You’re typically an astute poster, so had to call this one out!

• Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 9:17 AM, SFebes said:

Not keen on Jackson at 3 or 8 for that matter. Very hard to judge big bodied guys against tiny teens IMO. The ruck position is a very overrated position, how many times did Gawn dominate the ruck last year and we were still smashed in clearances. He's a big boy playing against kids and comparisons to colts games are even worse. Plus we don't need a ruckman, Tigers won a flag with Nankervis and Grigg. When was the last time a dominant ruckmen helped their team win a flag, you'd probably have to go back to Ottens at the Cats and Keating before that?

We do need a KPF goalkicker (that I'm shocked we didn't try or be linked to one), unsure if this guy can fulfill that role? What we do need is clean kickers (not handball machines), fast decision makers, strong overhead and can hit the scoreboard. Who that leaves I'm not sure.

Taylor needs to pull a rabbit (a grade star) out, not impressed by his recruiting so far, he fluked Oliver, but jury is still out on him IMO.

On the limited vision I've seen, perhaps Young and Kemp? Also could Anderson be a chance with pick 3 somehow?

Shockingly bad call RE: Taylor’s recruitment ability.

Edited by Mach5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

He might legitimately push Gawn out of the ruck in the next few years. 

Which probably leads to Gawn deep forward more often which would be scary for opposition teams. 

can't see him going anywhere anytime soon.

• Love 2

Don’t think I’ve ever been so fascinated with a player, both his ability and his character. 

I still laugh thinking about him in the rooms having a chuckle at busting his tooth in his first final. No biggie. Let’s get on with it. 

Helping turn the grand final will be remembered forever. At 19 he will be remembered forever. What a start to a career. 

He could’ve easily handballed to Viney instead of Oliver, but he rarely makes the wrong decision. Just a jet. 
(Viney could’ve stuck a paw out too and messed it up as often happens. But they were all in a flow state at that point)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

He might legitimately push Gawn out of the ruck in the next few years. 

Which probably leads to Gawn deep forward more often which would be scary for opposition teams. 

can't see him going anywhere anytime soon.

Reckon that'd almost be a win. Imagine the free run Fritsch would get if you've got Gawn & BBB to worry about.