Hayden Young (Drafted by Fremantle)

Whispering_Jack

6 hours ago, Mach5 said:

Pretty much all of his highlights come against little to no resistance. It’s not his fault, but it makes him look better than he is.

Also, a lot of his “exceptional” kicks will get picked off at the higher level. That’s not to say he’s not a good kick, but again, makes him look like he’ll have more impact than he really will.

A solid AFL back flanker. 

I’d like more for pick 3.

Kemp for me at pick 3. I reckon Gould seems like a Hurn clone and I'd take him in the Young position who will by gone by that pick anyway.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Personally, I would like the Demons to take Hayden Young as we desperately need more players who are elite kicks and excellent decision makers.

No more players who are "apple turnovers" and who constantly butcher the ball.

I also found his highlights video package quite impressive.

Tend to agree. I know GWS want to move up to pick 3, but I see no reason to trade it away unless the deal is massive overs. Because Young is the exact type of player we are screaming out for. We need more class, its why Salem stands out like a beacon in our side - because he is classy amongst many (majority) who aren't. Young would add class when we desperately need it. We could do with adding class for our next pick as well, if we could find a classy player with speed then even better. Two things our side lacks and needs is class and pace. We have so much grunt. Our midfield is practically set and elite, it just needs versatility on the outside. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

Tend to agree. I know GWS want to move up to pick 3, but I see no reason to trade it away unless the deal is massive overs. Because Young is the exact type of player we are screaming out for. We need more class, its why Salem stands out like a beacon in our side - because he is classy amongst many (majority) who aren't. Young would add class when we desperately need it. We could do with adding class for our next pick as well, if we could find a classy player with speed then even better. Two things our side lacks and needs is class and pace. We have so much grunt. Our midfield is practically set and elite, it just needs versatility on the outside. 

Ball always travels faster through the air.  This bloke will speed our transition up faster than any amazing sprints off HB or around the wings.  His decision making will also assist here.  It's lightning quick and tends to pick the right options most of the time.

Short, medium, low long rakers....this bloke is a kicking guru.

We've been screaming out for his type for years.. "Frosty has speed....can't kick".  Frosty has great pace...but a massive turnover king".  ANB great runner between the arcs...but murders the ball".  Well here's a bloke who is elite with the ball... ready for the plucking.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

Young is the exact type of player we are screaming out for. We need more class, its why Salem stands out like a beacon in our side - because he is classy amongst many (majority) who aren't. Young would add class when we desperately need it. We could do with adding class for our next pick as well, if we could find a classy player with speed then even better. Two things our side lacks and needs is class and pace. We have so much grunt. Our midfield is practically set and elite, it just needs class on the outside. 

Can you rephrase this for me? I'm not sure I get your drift. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 10/21/2019 at 1:30 PM, Mach5 said:

Pretty much all of his highlights come against little to no resistance. It’s not his fault, but it makes him look better than he is.

Also, a lot of his “exceptional” kicks will get picked off at the higher level. That’s not to say he’s not a good kick, but again, makes him look like he’ll have more impact than he really will.

A solid AFL back flanker. 

I’d like more for pick 3.

many players turn it over even when under no pressure. The highlight package suggests great decision making and even better execution.

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Ball always travels faster through the air.  This bloke will speed our transition up faster than any amazing sprints off HB or around the wings.  His decision making will also assist here.  It's lightning quick and tends to pick the right options most of the time.

Short, medium, low long rakers....this bloke is a kicking guru.

We've been screaming out for his type for years.. "Frosty has speed....can't kick".  Frosty has great pace...but a massive turnover king".  ANB great runner between the arcs...but murders the ball".  Well here's a bloke who is elite with the ball... ready for the plucking.

Absolute guru, there is no way I can see us splitting three now for two weaker draft picks, was hoping gws would offload Caldwell or another fringe midfielder due to there stacked midfield but too late for that!

He is exactly what we need, not only a guru kicker but an elite decision maker. 

Oh and a bit of mongrel! Big tick 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wunders said:

I had a dream last night we got Young at 3 and Kemp at 8 (would be happy with that).

Only based on video highlights and reading what others, including the so called young talent experts  have said, that would be the ideal result for me.

• Love 1

Looks like a taller Whitfield to me.

Very classy and looks like a competitor too.

Could develop into something very special.

Having fast players is great when you don't have the ball, or trying to open up (and I hate this phrase, but you know what I mean) the fat side. But mostly having quick thinkers will win the day. Hawthorn wasn't the fastest team when they their flags, but their kicking would leave you stranded. Geelong ditto, but they would do it in handballs until the world opened up for them. I'll take a team of slow of foot but quick of mind players over a team of Hunts. 

Speed is nice, but it will never beat talent

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Carn dees said:

Absolute guru, there is no way I can see us splitting three now for two weaker draft picks, was hoping gws would offload Caldwell or another fringe midfielder due to there stacked midfield but too late for that!

He is exactly what we need, not only a guru kicker but an elite decision maker. 

Oh and a bit of mongrel! Big tick 

Nar don't underrated it 

MASSIVE TICK!!!!

??

• Haha 1

Not thread related....

Jetstar has a sale on with free return flights for the months of April, May and June 2020. Bit hard though considering the draw isn’t out yet. So we booked our flights for QB, the only assured game at the moment. If you live interstate it’s worth having a look. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Not thread related....

Jetstar has a sale on with free return flights for the months of April, May and June 2020. Bit hard though considering the draw isn’t out yet. So we booked our flights for QB, the only assured game at the moment. If you live interstate it’s worth having a look. 

Anzac Eve and can't see them making us travel the week before 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Uncle Fester said:

Having fast players is great when you don't have the ball, or trying to open up (and I hate this phrase, but you know what I mean) the fat side. But mostly having quick thinkers will win the day. Hawthorn wasn't the fastest team when they their flags, but their kicking would leave you stranded. Geelong ditto, but they would do it in handballs until the world opened up for them. I'll take a team of slow of foot but quick of mind players over a team of Hunts. 

Speed is nice, but it will never beat talent

What's your point re Young ?

He looks to fill both bills fast as in speed with run from half back and brilliant decision making as in that pass on the highlights reel that set up the goal for a win.

Most if our players are often hamstrung for such vision and it is instinctive in Young it looks like!

12 hours ago, Deecisive said:

if he is an accurate kick why not try him out on the wing, that way he is likely to be able to also get a few kicks at goal. We need a winger who can add to our scoring capability.

He is not even with us yet Decisive and you wish to change his position!

Let Young get settled (if we get him) in his position (half back) and play his role.

in case you are not aware we have just recruited two players called Langdon and Tomlinson allegedly who are wingers or play that position.

Langdon's highlight reel show him kicking goals and passing  to forwards!

I hope we get Young snd that he makes half back his own for a decade or more as he transcends the line with smart play snd brilliant long kicking (in his highlights).

But if in his evolution as a player he also can go into the midfield (or wing) then we have a potential A grader which we all crave as sorely needed at present.