Jump to content

  • Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

billyblanks29

Its the forward line stupid

Recommended Posts

Jacksons development will depend on his capacity the role he is given obviously, but more important is the status and support he is given from his teammates.

Ours is a team game and it is critical that roles are clear, recognised and accepted by every individual in that team.

Short term or long term individual roles and development must be communicated within the team.

As we are in a competition with other teams external transparency does not need to be high. We as supporters cannot expect to be told or know. Our hopes assumptions and projections can be accurate or fanciful. I hope they continue and we can respect everyone's opinions but ultimately it is the club officials who must decide. I support them wholeheartedly as I always have despite the anguish and frustration they have continuously given me. Go Dees

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the gameplan it is difficult to envisage a forward line including Fritsch, MacDonald, Jackson and Weideman.

If we played with all of those in the forward line it could resemble a trampoline with the speed that the opposition will rebound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

Havent seen one person even allude to LJ being the 'messiah' for us,  not sure what OD is on about.  

I just see a lot of cautious optimism.

Saying he should  play second round 2 is hardly cautious optimism.

all I am saying is give the kid a chance, he has played most of his short career as a Ruckman at under 18 level.

Becoming a Ruckman / goal kicking  forward is a big step up at Senior level.

Edited by old dee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Given the gameplan it is difficult to envisage a forward line including Fritsch, MacDonald, Jackson and Weideman.

If we played with all of those in the forward line it could resemble a trampoline with the speed that the opposition will rebound.

Don't forget Jake 'I'll just jog and watch my man run off' Melksham. 

I think we can fit them all in but it's going to take a massive shift in the training methods to get more pressure out of those guys. Fritsch might not be a great tackler but he's an excellent mover, no reason for him not to get pressure on. Jackson's somewhat the same, if he does make it as a forward early in his career forward pressure will be a decent part of the reason why. Weideman or Petty - they aren't bad movers, just a matter of them showing they've got the tank, smarts and urgency. 

But Tom and Jake, two guys who's backs and ankles don't seem to move when the opposition have the ball, that has to change this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, old dee said:

Saying he should  play second round 2 is hardly cautious optimism.

all I am saying is give the kid a chance, he has played most of his short career as a Ruckman at under 18 level.

Becoming a Ruckman / goal kicking  forward is a big step up at Senior level.

You make sense with what you're saying but the leap forward for draftees is always a factor.  And that includes the gap from the VFL (Casey) to the AFL

If he wasn't also a ruckman I'd be more cautious but we need someone to give Gawn a rest during the games so who plays that 2nd ruck role instead of Jackson?  Effectively.

We need T-Mac to focus on his role as a KPF and if Jackson plays then Weideman probably doesn't play.  Petty or Oscar are vying for the one KPD spot it seems.  Pruess is pure back-up for Gawn.  And then there's Smith who might be able to play a role forward or back

There's a number of options but who is best equipped to play as the 2nd ruck/Forward? 

Give us your alternative plan old dee

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RDBhero said:

Including the opposition?

Sometimes, but Richmond's predictability hasn't hurt them, nor did Hawthorn's.

Edited by A F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Your first mistake was taking anything Buckenara says serious. 

The guy is a drop kick. Go look at his highlights. His contested marking is one of his strengths.

It is and it isn't.

He struggles to hold his position when checked by a bit of body pressure and allows himself to get under the ball a lot.  Once a key defender works this out he becomes a lot easier to counter

It sounds like he has been beefed up.  This season we will find out a lot more.

His two finals in 2018 we're excellent and displayed that he has ability and temperament.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Stretch Johnson said:

He struggles to hold his position when checked by a bit of body pressure and allows himself to get under the ball a lot.  Once a key defender works this out he becomes a lot easier to counter

It sounds like he has been beefed up.  This season we will find out a lot more.

His two finals in 2018 we're excellent and displayed that he has ability and temperament.  

Weideman's 2 excellent games in the 2018 finals were more '3rd Forward' style rather than 'Power Forward' style, SJ.  The 2 games had a touch of opportunistic about them.

And that's ok too because a player doing well as a 3rd forward is a valuable commodity.  But these days the 3rd forward is often surplus to needs if your 1 & 2 are functioning well.  Fritsch is a better option (right now)

Where it all changes is if the one of the 2 KPF also plays on the ball or up the ground (periodically)  We know T-Mac can play that other role and by many accounts Jackson might be able to play that role as well.

So there is room for Weideman in the right mix as long as Sam finds a vein of form (or starts bringing-it in the pre-season)

But being able to play well in the ruck as a relief ruckman is also extremely valuable and that's where Jackson could fit the bill.

Previously when Max has been rested we've often struggled at the stoppages. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No chance we could get the title of the thread correctly written is there? :P It's triggering my OCD.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Makes a change from the pandemic of nuffies inserting apostrophes unnecessarily, AF!

I am an apostophile - I use them a lot.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stretch Johnson said:

It is and it isn't.

He struggles to hold his position when checked by a bit of body pressure and allows himself to get under the ball a lot.  Once a key defender works this out he becomes a lot easier to counter

It sounds like he has been beefed up.  This season we will find out a lot more.

His two finals in 2018 we're excellent and displayed that he has ability and temperament.  

Who are you talking about exactly?

I am talking about Jackson not Weideman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Who are you talking about exactly?

I am talking about Jackson not Weideman.

I made a mmm....

Mmm..

There was a misunderstanding.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 11/30/2019 at 2:10 PM, Soprano661 said:

Melksham being fully fit will help - curtains for weid after this year,** but surprisingly he looks way bigger in the training photos I’ve seen. 

** unless he steps back up to the form he showed in those 2 MCG finals, which he could well do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, A F said:

No chance we could get the title of the thread correctly written is there? :P It's triggering my OCD.

You'd think one of the site's administrators would of fixed it by now. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

You'd think one of the site's administrators would of fixed it by now. 

From today's Guardian..

A society dedicated to preserving the “much-abused” apostrophe is to be shut down as its chairman said “ignorance and laziness” had won.

1698.jpg?width=460&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=73ea109dc45a352ce80d222c7ff730b9

John Richards, who worked in journalism for much of his career, started the Apostrophe Protection Society in 2001 after he retired.

Now 96, Richards is calling time on the society, which lists the three simple rules for correct use of the punctuation mark.

“We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but the ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/01/laziness-has-won-apostrophe-society-admits-its-defeat

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

From today's Guardian..

A society dedicated to preserving the “much-abused” apostrophe is to be shut down as its chairman said “ignorance and laziness” had won.

1698.jpg?width=460&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=73ea109dc45a352ce80d222c7ff730b9
 

John Richards, who worked in journalism for much of his career, started the Apostrophe Protection Society in 2001 after he retired.

Now 96, Richards is calling time on the society, which lists the three simple rules for correct use of the punctuation mark.

“We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but the ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/01/laziness-has-won-apostrophe-society-admits-its-defeat

I guess we should just be grateful that the Guardian's link didn't have an apostrophe in the middle word of "admits-its-defeat".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

John Richards, who worked in journalism for much of his career, started the Apostrophe Protection Society in 2001 after he retired.

Now 96, Richards is calling time on the society, which lists the three simple rules for correct use of the punctuation mark.

“We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but the ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/01/laziness-has-won-apostrophe-society-admits-its-defeat

Lived in the UK for a decade (90's). Set an example and did manage to raise the English skills of those I had regular contact with. Sadly, recent evidence suggests that they've slipped backwards since.

If only they logged in to Demonland...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

You'd think one of the site's administrators would of fixed it by now. 

I'm hoping this is the joke, right?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Your funny!

Yes, his really funny. He's jokes are the best.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There actually is a certain mad logic in that possessive use of he's

Edited by Fifty-5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 12:27 PM, Macca said:

You make sense with what you're saying but the leap forward for draftees is always a factor.  And that includes the gap from the VFL (Casey) to the AFL

If he wasn't also a ruckman I'd be more cautious but we need someone to give Gawn a rest during the games so who plays that 2nd ruck role instead of Jackson?  Effectively.

We need T-Mac to focus on his role as a KPF and if Jackson plays then Weideman probably doesn't play.  Petty or Oscar are vying for the one KPD spot it seems.  Pruess is pure back-up for Gawn.  And then there's Smith who might be able to play a role forward or back

There's a number of options but who is best equipped to play as the 2nd ruck/Forward? 

Give us your alternative plan old dee

Grundy the most comparable player, played 7 games in his debut year. 

Pre-season games will give us a good indication whether he's going to be pushing for an early debut.

I think you have written off Pruess too early, from training reports he appears to have slimmed down remarkably and coaches have him working on his forward craft. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...