PREGAME: Rd 16 vs Carlton

Lucifers Hero

Cripps is still out which should help our cause.

McKay and C. Curnow are out so they have only 1 tall forward.  Those outs were known yesterday so am baffled why we have 3 tall backs in the starting 18. 

They will have a short fwd line and not many talls around the ground so will be planning to play with speed.  Worrying.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

If Gawn and Jones don't play that is 4 changes.  So much for developing cohesion among the team.

Maybe we want a top 1 or 2 draft pick so are Tanking!   ?

Clearly we are making decision based on the long term future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

Clearly we are making decision based on the long term future.

The 2 Wagners and Lewis are our long term future?

Edited by Lord Nev
Edit - Yeah hang on, just realized the context haha
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

39 minutes ago, ProperDee said:

ANB and Petty get selected on the ground so guaranteed a game?  WTFFFFFF!

Young Baker must have run over Goody’s cat and it appears JKH then threw it on the BBQ!

Yep and yep again 

If Omac plays I will not renew my membership next year!

Laughable really!

Is this club serious

BAKER IS OUR FUTURE! 

WTF is going on down there??

I would have rolled again with Baker as he needs games, but hes been down the last 2 weeks & 15 touches not enough as a mid....

Astounded that JKH cant get a gig especially after hes worked his ring off to get back from a knee injury & his form this last month has apparently been very good.....time to look elsewhere son & hope you find a club that actually cares about you....good luck!

Hannan kissed on the pecker again......time to buy a lottery ticket mate. Lewis really? 

I would guess that Baker needs a rest. He started well but has been down the last couple. I don’t mind him being dropped and then coming back in soon for another red hot crack 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ding said:

Liked this post because i had typed up something similar, only to delete it a few mins ago.

When we get 1, 2 or 3 i hope we have a trade target lined up to swap it for.

We need more quality NOW, not in a few years. (ofc we also need quality in a few years, but right now is the more pressing need before our list starts its decline)

Is anyone on the market worth pick 2 or 3 though, unless it's out of left field? And shouldn't the priority be to acquire an elite Free Agent so we can actually go the draft and get a ready made player like a Sam Walsh ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ding said:

Selecting 2 x Wagners ??

41ySjZvDHbL.jpg

Is that a German WW2 Kruzer tank?

But re selections -IF Gawn plays and aggravates his injury I will seriously not renew, especially as we recruited Preuss exactly for this contingency and this is a meaningless match as our season is over.

• Like 4

So Dunkley in for Baker and Pruess for Smith.  We are going two talls.

I'm happy with that as we are basically talking giving two rookies a stint at the big league to see what is needed and then they go back occassionaly to work on their craft.  Seems pretty sensible given where the season's at.

Smith just can't stay on the park and super unlucky with injury after injury.  Might explain the horribilis that was last week's performance, easily the worst output of the year by any MFC player.  May have been restricted.  I would say he is just too risky to continue gambling with into next year and the FD must be very close to letting him go, if they haven't already made their minds up the red flag must be a good way up the pole.

• Like 2

All i want from this game is for Goodwin to not talk to the press.

His corporate speak makes me want to stick a chopstick in my ears.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, John Demonic said:

Is anyone on the market worth pick 2 or 3 though, unless it's out of left field? And shouldn't the priority be to acquire an elite Free Agent so we can actually go the draft and get a ready made player like a Sam Walsh ?

Or we could  get a free agent AND trade for a ready made. Kids with talent are great, but our window is (or at least appeared to be) now.

Adding a talented 18 year-old to this list wont see us any closer to a premiership in the next year or 2.

The time for us is now, which is why we went so hard for Lever and May.

Edited by ding

13 minutes ago, ding said:

Or we could  get a free agent AND trade for a ready made. Kids with talent are great, but our window is (or at least appeared to be) now.

Adding a talented 18 year-old to this list wont see us any closed to a premiership in the next year or 2.

This sums up Melbourne perfectly

Talking "window" when we are 1 game away from a number 1 draft pick.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, faultydet said:

If it was your eyes a certain ? could arrange that, I suspect.  

1 minute ago, monoccular said:

If it was your eyes a certain ? could arrange that, I suspect.  

Ha, I'm sitting in front of the laptop, squinting hard trying to figure out what that microscopic picture is.

Just calling for the young wifes eyes to help me out.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Ha, I'm sitting in front of the laptop, squinting hard trying to figure out what that microscopic picture is.

Just calling for the young wifes eyes to help me out.

ctrl plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus

(looks like a Tiger picture.... think Dusty Martin and his chopstick episode at the restaurant)

Edited by ding

2 minutes ago, ding said:

ctrl plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus

I have it at 500%

Is it a wombat?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, ding said:

Adding a talented 18 year-old to this list wont see us any closer to a premiership in the next year or 2.

It's a bit of a balancing game, but i think we have to responsibly mortgage for the future and pick up a player that can help us next year. So that's why I think targeting a FA & going to the draft for the first time since 2015 is a better option to address short and long term goals. Maybe we actually need to trade away a player and use a 2nd round pick to bring in a player of high calibre in. If it's ed Langdon then it's pick 20 + Player, perhaps with another freo player or pick coming back. I just don't see who on the market is worth pick 3 right now? Any ideas?

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

It's a bit of a balancing game, but i think we have to responsibly mortgage for the future and pick up a player that can help us next year. So that's why I think targeting a FA & going to the draft for the first time since 2015 is a better option to address short and long term goals. Maybe we actually need to trade away a player and use a 2nd round pick to bring in a player of high calibre in. If it's ed Langdon then it's pick 20 + Player, perhaps with another freo player or pick coming back. I just don't see who on the market is worth pick 3 right now? Any ideas?

We just need to have been in the ear of someone we need. Contracts dont mean much these days, so if a good player wants to come here, we at least have decent currency to play with (if we end up with 1,2 or 3). 

You have a good point, but i would prefer we roll the dice now, and not go draft again. Our time is (well, obviously not this year) NOW.

18 year old draftees wont be the difference imo.

Free agent, AND a ready made trade. Thats our best bet i believe.

(Obs we have to take a first round pick this year, so your idea probably wins unless we trade out someone decent)

Edited by ding

1 hour ago, faultydet said:

Chopstick ???

We're coming over a bit Dusty Martin aren't we  Faulty ???

Careful !!

• Like 1