• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Midfield Issues.

ickey_11

19 minutes ago, Swooper1987 said:

Salem is an amazing ball user and would be best used in this side as the last bloke to touch it before it goes inside 50.  We just need to lower the eyes and find the target inside 50.  He can do that. 

Better still would be to have 5 or 6 blokes who can deliver the ball well into the forward line.

But we still need our forwards to play in front and to lead to the right spots as well as having leading patterns that confuses the opposition.

The sport is now an extremely complicated version of keepings-off and we're just not very good at it.  For fleeting moments we look good but from.an overall perspective,  we're lacking.

Personnel changes is the real answer but a lot of our issues have to do with not working hard enough at the basics.  And there is a connection to the coaching as well so we need an across-the-board lift from all concerned.

But above all else an injection of talent. 

And lots of sprint training as we're too slow.  Today I saw a player jog to pick up a loose ball on the wing and then kept jogging after he picked the ball up.  At no stage did the player get into sprint mode.  His kick was rushed as a consequence

A goal scoring opportunity was lost but that happens all too often. 

We don't accelerate enough from the contest and too often we are jogging to the contest.  There is nowhere near enough urgency. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Redleg said:

Unfortunately my favourite player is getting leather poisoning, but having absolutely no impact on the game. Someone needs to tell Oliver that he doesn’t need to always fire off handballs, or kick it 40 metres into the air. Less possessions, but giving the ball to a team mate with a pass or a handball to a team mate in the open will be far more effective. 

Thought Smith showed he is VFL standard and nothing more. A couple of possessions and he passes from 35 out and turns it over, just moronic. 

Hunt terrible. Tom Mac’s second half terrible. 

No pace or small forwards and terrible skill by most except Salem and May. Hannan’s Kick across the ground to a 2 on 1 was as moronic as Smith and with Tom’s dropped sitter started the avalanche. 

ANB good first half to give him his due. 

We desperately need to bring in crumbing forwards and skillful players over the summer, or next year might be a repetition of this one.  

I would probably add Lockhart...a really good kick and decision maker.

Only a first year player but probably the only one we have who hits up the right targets forward of centre...

We were smashed in the midfield today...

I got smashed earlier in the year for suggesting some of our mids may have been drinking their own bathwater...

...forget maybe, they definitely are.

They are playing a brand of smart a.... one way, cute, luxury footy.

What was it after about 20mins in the 3rd Q? Melbourne 1 tackle for the Q....

Without May today that would have been a 10/15 goal loss.

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

Thank the gods Le tour starts next week

proper effort

Essendon style unfortunately....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Elegt said:

I just want to see our mids tackling hard and chasing. They all seemed to shy away from contact today, even viney. I wouldn't be opposed to giving May a run in a couple of bounces to get some physicality in.

and then when we lose the clearance he's not there to kill the contest or run it out of defence? no thanks

lockhart it would interesting to see if he can work into playing thru the midfield - good user and tough but also quick away from the contest

2 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

and then when we lose the clearance he's not there to kill the contest or run it out of defence? no thanks

lockhart it would interesting to see if he can work into playing thru the midfield - good user and tough but also quick away from the contest

We weren't winnning any clearances anyway.. what's there to lose. I just feel like there is not enough passion shown out there on field; need more mongrel. Brent Moloney wouldn't stand for any of this crap

12 hours ago, clark's kick said:

As a Brisbanite, I don't get to see many games live. What really struck me today at the game was that a major factor in Oliver and Viney's disposal issues is the gameplan itself.

They are brilliant at winning the ball, but when they win it, all the other dees players (as we and every other team knows) are in at the contest, so there's no one to go to. And this results in them either disposing of the ball to another player (also in at the contest) who is already under pressure, a random kick or handball to no one (which the lions players positioned outside the contest are generally first to), or an overly ambitious kick to a Dee downfield which doesnt work out.

Maybe I'm slow in working this out, but it really stuck out to me watching it live.

I'm kind of relieved. Their poor disposal is less of a skill issue per se than not having any options under the gameplan.

Overall, our ills are still overwhelmingly gameplan rather than personnel related. Yes, bring in some run and pressure forwards (they dont have to be stars), but I wouldnt be trading any of our best midfielders.

Been saying it all year. It is really obvious when you watch it live at the ground. Its the game plan that doesn't produce enough results for the risk the players have to take. Back to the drawing board. The other disappointing  thing is that when we are beaten soundly at the midfield contest, the coach makes no changes, just sits there and watches do the same things over and over and over again. Bizzaaro really!

10 hours ago, Elegt said:

I just want to see our mids tackling hard and chasing. They all seemed to shy away from contact today, even viney. I wouldn't be opposed to giving May a run in a couple of bounces to get some physicality in.

I was amazed that Goodwin didn't try something different in the middle at any stage. Salem was definitely one that could have gone through there, at least he can tackle occasionally. Harmes should have been tagging Zorko from the first bounce. Jones looked lost in defence, and could have moved up the ground. I must admit I also thought May could have had a spell in the middle, as Hogan was used at times last year. At least it gives the opposition something different to contend with.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, olisik said:

Time for a rebuild. Look to trade out Viney, Brayshaw, MacDonald and Petracca to get 5-6 top 20 picks.

Use them to bring in 2 Key forwards, 2 Outside mids and 2 inside mids who can actually hit a handpass

You've been harping on this one. Brayshaw and Petracca were top 3, Viney arguably top top 5 (F/S in 20s). All three have developed where they ought of, at least. McDonald a selection from the 60s but a fine one at that. Now each with a few years in the system.

What do you honestly expect to get from 5-6 top 20 picks? How many of those do you think will succeed and how many do you think will flop? On top of that, how do you think they'll develop when you take away those mentioned? Add Lewis and Jones to the list of departures over the next few years.

• Thanks 1

Personally I am well over this club and it’s talk talk talk!!!  Our leadership is rubbish and overdue for change.  Just put Gawn as Captain and May VC.  The others don’t and seem incapable of consistent leadership.  Make the hard decisions and do something so us supporters can see progress.  Had a gutful of the line “we took a step backwards this week”. FFS!  Any chance of winning 2 in a row?

• Thanks 1