POSTGAME: Rd 02 vs Geelong

Demonsone

Just now, Wiseblood said:

You're probably right, although getting rolled by 80 points in Geelong wouldn't have been on the agenda.

We need to change some things in a big way, and I'm already keen to see that response on Friday night.

I was keen to see the response after our round 1 debacle.

Despondent

• Like 1

Last week I thought we lost because all of our best players had a shocker. And I thought this would never happen again. 

Tonight Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw were all at their regular output and we got destroyed. 

It’s a real worry as we still have far too many poor footballers in our team and too many inconsistent players. 

I worry about where we are going this season. 

• Like 2

We have the talent

We have no clue

So after Alice goes down the Rabbit hole where does she find herself ? Those in charge.

This is failure by design...or lack of wherewithal.

1 minute ago, faultydet said:
1Clayton Oliver 15 29 44 2 0 0 1 6 0 0 130
2Angus Brayshaw 22 11 33 2 0 1 0 5 1 0 121
3Jack Viney 11 16 27 4 0 2 1 8 1 1 115
4James Harmes 12 12 24 2 0 0 3 9 0 1 94
5Christian Salem 14 9 23 3 0 0 1 6 0 0 90

This is the biggest worry for me.

These are the guys who we think are the future premiership core, and yet it's a copy and paste of our top 5 possession getters.

Where does our improvement come from?

The midfield is not the problem

back and forward we are a dogs breakfast, nobody cares enough....

• Like 1

Terrible display tonight. So many things needed to improve on. Definately underdone with a less than ideal preparation. Gameplan needs tweaking. Trac needs to some tough love. Drop him for a cpl weeks. Make him really earn a recall. He's not alone though. No need to dwell on the negatives though. Jay Lockhart is one of the very few positives from tonight. Kids got something about him. I like the cut of his jib. 

Oliver is surely now a bonefide top 5 player in the comp. [censored] jet. How was the kiss... ?

Work to be done. Gotta smash the peptides next week. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

You're probably right, although getting rolled by 80 points in Geelong wouldn't have been on the agenda.

We need to change some things in a big way, and I'm already keen to see that response on Friday night.

Don’t hold your breath. (Suffocation risk)

Just now, faultydet said:

I was keen to see the response after our round 1 debacle.

Despondent

Our response, if you look at individuals, was good in some areas.  Oliver, Gus, Viney and Gawn, for example, all played much better than last week, which is quite hard to believe when you look at the result.

But the gameplan, coupled with some seriously out of form players, an injury to May and bringing in someone like KK who will need time to get match fitness up and assimilate whatever the gameplan is at the moment, means that we have copped an absolute hiding tonight even with that improvement.

It's such a strange outcome.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Midfields win flags SWYL

Did they do a defensive job tonight, or was it unaccountable footy?

Can't win a flag with a one-way running midfield.

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

Getting the ball is great, but hacking it forward, always being under pressure, delivering slops to our (admittedly poor) Forward line is a problem. 

• Like 1

I keep hearing about teams reinventing themselves over the offseason. Port made wholesale changes, Cats have reinvented their forward line (already had a strong midfield and defence). Us on the otherhand, just kept with our same game plan and I feel we haven’t tried to change this to go that next step.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, faultydet said:
1Clayton Oliver 15 29 44 2 0 0 1 6 0 0 130
2Angus Brayshaw 22 11 33 2 0 1 0 5 1 0 121
3Jack Viney 11 16 27 4 0 2 1 8 1 1 115
4James Harmes 12 12 24 2 0 0 3 9 0 1 94
5Christian Salem 14 9 23 3 0 0 1 6 0 0 90

This is the biggest worry for me.

These are the guys who we think are the future premiership core, and yet it's a copy and paste of our top 5 possession getters.

Where does our improvement come from?

That’s scary. Those numbers show they all hit their expected output or better. There’s not really any improvement to come from them.

Our forward line seems to be the big weakness now. It’s obviously not scoring, but the most damning part is the lack of defensive pressure. If we get it forward and don’t score, we now fail to lock it in and it rebounds up the other end like lightning. Spargo was dropped for laying zero tackles last week. Lockhart cracked in for a first gamer. Hannan is cooked for most of the year. JKH is gone for the year. Kent no longer at the club. We need Garlett into the team ASAP.

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 1

The inside 50 count tonight got shown up for how meaningless it can be. The uncontested possessions by the cats tonight, like Port last week, shows the importance of time and space to allow quality delivery. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Midfields win flags SWYL

Did they do a defensive job tonight, or was it unaccountable footy?

Can't win a flag with a one-way running midfield.

A backline can still win a flag, but i am not disagreeing with you. 

I still say it is above the shoulders

Attitude. We don’t work hard enough

never have in 55 years

• Like 1

Can't wait for the lampooning in the media...

All totally deserved.

Fish rot from the head

There is a lot of ability.....poorly lead.

It's not just Goodwin

A club incredibly inept.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sigil said:

Getting the ball is great, but hacking it forward, always being under pressure, delivering slops to our (admittedly poor) Forward line is a problem. 

Well said, Sigil, even though it doesn't make for great reading.

It seems that our main intention is for Gawn to tap it to a mid who just belts it forward.  How often do we get it and handball it to a runner, or get it to someone with time, so we can hit a leading target?  It's not often.  I get that we want to play a contested footy, territory style game, but we've been beaten at our own game for two weeks in a row now.

How Goodwin now responds to this will be telling.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sigil said:

Yep. Nobody want to accept responsibility 

Kick and hope. 

It’s above the shoulders

There is something not right when you have 25 more inside 50s and are annihilated by 80 points. Not interested?  Clarry Gus Viney and Gawn the rest can go and have a good look in the mirror.  Oh! and Petracca needs 2 mirrors to have a real good look at himself.

Disappointing Dees !!!!     I am SHATTERED, Atleast have a go.  WTF happened to the contested possessions.

Edited by nosoupforme
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I keep hearing about teams reinventing themselves over the offseason. Port made wholesale changes, Cats have reinvented their forward line (already had a strong midfield and defence). Us on the otherhand, just kept with our same game plan and I feel we haven’t tried to change this to go that next step.

To be fair though, outside of a few poor games last year (Prelim, Pies on QB), the gameplan worked well.  Very well in fact.  So why would we make wholesale changes?

We added May to stiffen up the backline, KK for the outside run and looked to draft younger players in areas of need, like Bedford and Chandler to play as potential small forwards.  You can't do a whole lot more than that.

A poor pre-season and players down on form have been factors, but teams are now working us out.  It's up to Goody now to show what he's made of.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

The game plan is the major issue.

Agree with much of what you say, but I don't know that it is. That "outnumbered 3 to 1" situation that we saw time and time again in the forward line should have left Melbourne players to swoop in and get the ball once it hit the deck - after all, it nearly always WAS being brought to ground. But we don't seem to have any small, running forwards to do the damage and finish off. For the moment.

• Like 1