Sunday's crowd vs GWS

praha

Not sure if someone else mentioned this but the crowd of 37k was the largest crowd against a non-Vic club (ex Sydney) since 2010 when there was 36k against Brisbane, and 2004 when 33k showed up against WC.

Given the opposition support (or lack thereof), I would estimate about 36k Melbourne supporters came to the game.

For reference, 30k showed up to the Pies v GWS game at the MCG earlier in the season.

Amazing turnout.

Does anyone know what the MCC was predicting before the game?

• Like 3

We also cracked 40k average home attendance for the first time since 1964.

Total crowd across H&A was down though.

Also if you take away the NT games, our average Melbourne home game attendance was 48k.

Edited by praha
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, 3183 Dee said:

A mate was booking seats in the MCC Saturday night and said they were predicting 31k.

The official estimate by the MCC was 37,000, with around19 to 20,000 estimated in the MCC reserve. 

The MFC'S welcome strategy for internationals is great. All those students are wearing our colours. Saw a group of about 20-30 in the top level of the southern stand. Having a great time plenty of selfies and I assume social networking. We will have many supporters world-wide. It will suit us well when the AFL becomes the WFL (world football league).

Well done our admin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, praha said:

We also cracked 40k average home attendance for the first time since 1964.

Total crowd across H&A was down though.

Also if you take away the NT games, our average Melbourne home game attendance was 48k.

Did anything else of interest to us happen that year?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Congratulations must go to the MFC for promoting this game and getting the extra people through the gates.

Yep, and as we win more often, more will attend, especially playing the brand of footy we currently are.

7 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Well done Dees fans on getting along and well done MDC I’m giving away the extra free tickets to members.

It's been a mighty long since I've witnessed a decent Demon crowd vs an interstater outside of finals.  Wait ...that was also a mighty long time ago! 

I gave my freebies to a few demons who were about to buy tickets at the public ticket office outside Gate 4 pre match.  Stupid lost track of time waiting to give them though and only just got to his own seat, alongside bro, with 30 seconds to spare! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jibroni said:

Was a great crowd considering the opposing mob had 100 or so. Nice to see people coming more regularly.

Apparently the GWS supporter caught the bus down from Sydney last Friday and was seen outside Myer Melbourne on Saturday calling for charitable supporters to accompany him to the match the next day. 

A few pitied him and turned up?.

• Like 1

35000 Demons supporters

1000 non-Demon footy tragics who showed up for their hit

500 drunk MCC members who were still there from Saturday unable to find the exits

400 Pies members who showed up because they don't understand that Collingwood don't play there every day

90 people there who have signed up as GWS members to get better access to finals tickets to watch their real club

9 people who signed up as GWS members because they think they're shoving it up someone somewhere somehow

1 actual GWS supporter

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, old dee said:

We have 45000 members and 37285 less 100 gws = 37185 out of 45000 members is a very good result.

Except not all those that went supporting the Dees were necessarily members.

1 minute ago, Mazer Rackham said:

35000 Demons supporters

1000 non-Demon footy tragics who showed up for their hit

500 drunk MCC members who were still there from Saturday unable to find the exits

400 Pies members who showed up because they don't understand that Collingwood don't play there every day

90 people there who have signed up as GWS members to get better access to finals tickets to watch their real club

9 people who signed up as GWS members because they think they're shoving it up someone somewhere somehow

1 actual GWS supporter

Sounds like a good idea.

GWS fans have a slogan.

Two's company, Three's a crowd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dee Dee said:

The official estimate by the MCC was 37,000, with around19 to 20,000 estimated in the MCC reserve. 

Yep and my sis was saying that on one of the Facebook pages MFC supporters were saying 'how do we use our free tickets'. So apparently the club gave out some freebees yesterday. Did anyone else hear that? Either way, bloody brilliant that we got 37k there. I'd estimate 1,000 or so GWS supporters. 

The bandwagoners are back on board, which is great. When times were tough I used to say I'd never welcome them back, but get as many in the gate as possible nowadays. 50,000 members next year if we win a final this year and add Gaff. I reckon that'll all happen.

8 minutes ago, A F said:

Yep and my sis was saying that on one of the Facebook pages MFC supporters were saying 'how do we use our free tickets'. So apparently the club gave out some freebees yesterday. Did anyone else hear that? Either way, bloody brilliant that we got 37k there. I'd estimate 1,000 or so GWS supporters. 

The bandwagoners are back on board, which is great. When times were tough I used to say I'd never welcome them back, but get as many in the gate as possible nowadays. 50,000 members next year if we win a final this year and add Gaff. I reckon that'll all happen.

Yea they sent all members an email with 2 free GA tickets during last week

10 minutes ago, deebug said:

I saw a father and son who were Pies supporters on Sunday, so you could say there were even more pies fans at our match the GWS supporters?

Son: which ones are us, Pa?

Father: the ones winning, son. Doncha know nuffing?

Son: which one's that?

Father: I heard that bloke over there say it's the blue and red team

Son: why are we wearing blue and red today, Pa?

Father: I fink it's our away jumper, son.

Son: who's the other team?

Father: I dunno. I reckon it must be Essadun. We hate Essadun.

Son: we hate all the uvver clubs!

Father & Son together: Go Pies!!!!!