Jordan De Goey

DV8

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

The media are stating that De Goey is likely to go to the Cats or Saints if he leaves Collingwood. I question whether we should look at him.

Negatives are obvious. (He is a DH and hard to manage).

Pros are:

• He is one of the better players in the competition on his day
  • He fits our need to bolster the forward half
  • It looks like he will not command ridiculous money
  • He is a free agent
  • He is the same age as our core stars (Petracca, Oliver and Lever)

Obviously we won't have room in the cap if Jackson and Brayshaw end up staying and so we won't even consider recruiting De Goey until they let us know what they are doing. And any compensation if Brayshaw leaves will be eroded.

Let's see - do we want a player who is a serial [censored] with no respect for anyone but himself?  Who has blown chance after chance whilst acting like a substandard human being?  Who has been accused on multiple occasions of sexual assault or harassment of women?  

Big fat NO!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Let's see - do we want a player who is a serial [censored] with no respect for anyone but himself?  Who has blown chance after chance whilst acting like a substandard human being?  Who has been accused on multiple occasions of sexual assault or harassment of women?  

Big fat NO!

Really ?

It must be good to be perfect

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1
  • Vomit 2

33 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I'd imagine if he has another major indiscretion, the club will consider sacking him.

There was was a lot of negative PR he put the club through.

They should have sacked him when he was first charged with the 2015 sexual assault.  I'm surprised he wasn't sacked after New York.  The fact after Bali they still haven't sacked him is endemic of the cultural cancer at Collingwood, where players in their AFLW program campaigned for the club to do something about it and were ignored.  No thanks.  Steer clear.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

They should have sacked him when he was first charged with the 2015 sexual assault.  I'm surprised he wasn't sacked after New York.  The fact after Bali they still haven't sacked him is endemic of the cultural cancer at Collingwood, where players in their AFLW program campaigned for the club to do something about it and were ignored.  No thanks.  Steer clear.

8 wins in a row.

Numerous players seem to want to go there.

Obviously culture isn't winning their games, or losing them.

PS: I am not saying we don't want our club to have a good culture, obviously we do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

8 wins in a row.

Numerous players seem to want to go there.

Obviously culture isn't winning their games, or losing them.

PS: I am not saying we don't want our club to have a good culture, obviously we do.

In the last few years at Collingwood - 

- Allegations of racism resulting in the departure of the President and Coach, and the "Do Better" report

- Key member of their cheer squad charged with pedophilia

- Members of their AFLW squad complaining about the club's inaction over De Goey

- De Goey

I don't give a rats if they've won 8 in a row.  If Melbourne signs up De Goey they will lose me as a member, and I've been a member for 37 years. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.  I'd like to think our club has standards. We can do better culturally than signing up DHs like De Goey.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Facepalm 3

12 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

In the last few years at Collingwood - 

- Allegations of racism resulting in the departure of the President and Coach, and the "Do Better" report

- Key member of their cheer squad charged with pedophilia

- Members of their AFLW squad complaining about the club's inaction over De Goey

- De Goey

I don't give a rats if they've won 8 in a row.  If Melbourne signs up De Goey they will lose me as a member, and I've been a member for 37 years. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.  I'd like to think our club has standards. We can do better culturally than signing up DHs like De Goey.

I never said anything about getting De Goey, I was just saying that with their rotten culture they have won 8 in a row and so maybe it's not culture that wins games.

You might not give a rats about a team winning 8 in a row, but I bet their supporters do.

PS: I am certainly not defending De Goey and I wouldn't want him with us.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

I wouldn't be going for De Goey if he wasn't a free agent. 

As for Sparrow and Harmes. They are both good players but they are not De Goey level talent.

Talent is only one aspect of what makes a very good AFL player. Colin Sylvia, Harley Bennell, Jack Watts, and Liam Jurrah were all gifted, but that was about it. De Goey is exactly the same. They turn it on once every 4-5 weeks, and maybe only for a quarter. They dislike doing the difficult things like gut running, tackling, and other pressure acts that coaches love. Every week, Sparrow, Harmes, ANB, and Spargo do all of these things. You are correct that these players lack DeGoey's talent, but I believe I know what type of player Goody would prefer. It doesn't help that he is also a DH.

Edited by djr
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

McClure said he would be amazed if De Geoy was at the Pies next year so sounds like this might not be the usual gossip

If he was a tall fwd I'd maybe think about it. but he has shown time and time again he only cares about himself 

• Like 1

Plenty of ability but doesn't have the temperament or professionalism to fully realise his undoubted talent. Partying in Bali during the bye shows where his priorities lie. Plus, he seems to be a [censored]. Big no from me

That said culturally we should be able to accommodate and get the best out of wayward characters. Not too many all at once though. Perhaps a quota of one. And if I did have to pick one undesirable to include in the squad it would be Toby Greene. How much better would our forward set-up look with him playing there. He’d be hard work keeping him on the straight and narrow (off-field and on) but I reckon he’d be worth it. He is signed up with the Giants but who knows when he’ll commit his next indiscretion and perhaps become available

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

McClure said he would be amazed if De Geoy was at the Pies next year so sounds like this might not be the usual gossip

If he was a tall fwd I'd maybe think about it. but he has shown time and time again he only cares about himself 

Tall forwards are our clear number 1 priority.

Backup and developing rucks an obvious number 2.

Depth in our outside mids at 3. 

He doesn't fit any of these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jibroni said:

He is not essential to our needs, Id rather go for their Ruckman.

Cameron or Grundy?

Not sure I would go either unless we definitely lose Jacko or if Gawn is going to play permanently forward which I wouldn't be a fan of.

Best case: He becomes a manageable issue internally and makes us marginally better because we somehow find a way to integrate someone of his style into our existing team by replacing a player (Fritsch, Jordon, ????) who is currently doing that at a reasonably high level. This takes us from competing for a flag with a decent chance of winning it ...... to also competing for a flag with marginally better chances of winning.

Worst case: He can be managed and turns our club into a circus, taking human resources away from the other players as well as salary cap resources, and we are no longer competing for a premiership. This takes us from competing for a flag with a decent chance of winning it ...... to not competing for a flag.

I just don't understand why you'd take that bet. The outcomes are so asymmetric. 

Edited by Axis of Bob
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

De Goey could replace Sparrow (on current form), Bedford, Harmes, or Melksham and we would be better.

How many players in the competition are 20 possessions and a goal per game? Maybe 10?

I will take Harmesy over De Goey every day Thankyou 

• Like 2
  • Love 2