Pedersen v Weideman this weekend

Diamond_Jim

5 hours ago, ProDee said:

We won't need him back.  Petty will be a gun.

And we may not need him forward.  Many have written off Weideman, but I haven't.  If he comes along we may not need Tom in the forward-line either.

What's he worth on the market ?

Good post. Completely agree on Petty. Reads the flight of the ball magnificently. Will be a dangerous intercept marker in time. Can't wait to see him in 12-18 months time. He, Oscar McDonald and Lever are going to be deadly. Tom McDonald simply had to be reinvented as a forward. And kudos to him, he was terrific last year - his goal kicking was incredible.

Likewise, I haven't written off Weideman yet either, but I reckon he's at least 12 months away from really impacting games. In the meantime, Tom gives us a great option.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ProDee said:

We won't need him back.  Petty will be a gun.

And we may not need him forward.  Many have written off Weideman, but I haven't.  If he comes along we may not need Tom in the forward-line either.

What's he worth on the market ?

He will be staying with Dees and his brother IMO.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Well I don't think any of us saw that coming ....

Nor did I see Bugg still in the side. How you keep a guy in the forward line who can't kick is beyond me. It can't be just pressure. Then again what else can it be?

• Like 1

I think the Bear plays best when he is on the precipice ala Brock McLean at Carlton.

If it's in the back of his mind that this game could be his last then he will put in his all. If he reckons that he has some  credits in the bank, he can go into cruise control a bit.

I still admire him greatly for pulling his career out of the fire but there have been times coaches have pulled him aside and read him the riot act (Todd Viney after his first year and Goody as soon as he took over).

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

10 hours ago, Skuit said:

Pedo is super-important as one of only genuine aerial competitors. Especially this week. Contested grabs on the wings and around the flanks was the singular difference when North defeated us first time round last year. I hope our footy trust is planning on measures to negate because we haven't improved much in that department so far this season - even with Hoges and Max in the team. Weids won't be of any help yet where that's concerned.

Well I'm pretty sure the coaches know a bit more about footy than you do Skuit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, ProDee said:

Someone suggested on another thread that you get inside info.

I find that hard to believe.

My opinion on Weideman has nothing to do with where my information comes from. We picked him at 9, 3 years ago and nothing has happened to suggest he’ll still be playing AFL in a few years time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roost It said:

My opinion on Weideman has nothing to do with where my information comes from. We picked him at 9, 3 years ago and nothing has happened to suggest he’ll still be playing AFL in a few years time

Playing Demons advocate, RI ?

Roosy made some interesting comments on The Couch this week (or maybe it was last week). He talked about how once a player is drafted, it's irrelevant once they're in the club. If they're in the best 22, pick em. If not they play reserves with no explanation required. It was in reference to Weitering being out of form for Carlton.

He pointed to Alex Rance as an example. Back before he was a star, he played his first season in the development league which is below VFL. It wasn't until his 4th or 5th season where he had a regular spot in the 22. I actually remember seeing Rance run around for Richmond early on thinking he looked pretty ordinary.

Need to ease off Weeds I reckon. Players develop at different stages aka Rance.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Mike said:

Roosy made some interesting comments on The Couch this week (or maybe it was last week). He talked about how once a player is drafted, it's irrelevant once they're in the club. If they're in the best 22, pick em. If not they play reserves with no explanation required. It was in reference to Weitering being out of form for Carlton.

He pointed to Alex Rance as an example. Back before he was a star, he played his first season in the development league which is below VFL. It wasn't until his 4th or 5th season where he had a regular spot in the 22. I actually remember seeing Rance run around for Richmond early on thinking he looked pretty ordinary.

Need to ease off Weeds I reckon. Players develop at different stages aka Rance.

People seemed to have forgotten that until 4 or so years ago, Rance was a laughable turnover merchant too.

The memory of your average football fan is pathetic.

Needless to say, I concur on Weideman. We were spoilt by Jesse coming in and impacting the way he did. And many of us on Demonland said the same at the time.

Sam clearly has elements of his game to improve upon (leading patterns, physical strength and endurance), but he's a reliable kick and a lovely mark. Give him some confidence and we could well see a very different player very quickly.

Edited by A F
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Roost It said:

He’ll be on an AFL list in 5 years time easily, see examples such as: James Sellar, Jack Fitzpatrick, Jake Spencer, Rohan Bail, Jordie McKenzie.

If players like the above can be on an AFL list for 5+ years Weid will as well. 

He’ll be a good player, give him some time. 

• Like 2

The Weide will probably make it. Like Stefan Martin who took 6 years to become a footballer amongst many others. Too long for Melbourne supporters and one of our previous pig headed coaches. 

I hope Sam stays with us, but suspect our "brains trust" have no time for him. We'll most likely trade him out for a spud and steak knives,  and watch him mature and develop for another club. 

He will not be the first in this comp, to be given those cards. Many clubs have made this mistake born from impatience not denial of talent.

Good luck Sam.  l hope for all our sakes, you can show us what you have got, during the course of this year. 

Edited by Hot as Hell
Typos

33 minutes ago, Hot as Hell said:

The Weide will probably make it. Like Stefan Martin who took 6 years to become a footballer amongst many others. Too long for Melbourne supporters and one of our previous pig headed coaches. 

I hope Sam stays with us, but suspect our "brains trust" have no time for him. We'll most likely trade him out for a spud and steak knives,  and watch him mature and develop for another club. 

He will not be the first in this comp, to be given those cards. Many clubs have made this mistake born from impatience not denial of talent.

Good luck Sam.  l hope for all our sakes, you can show us what you have got, during the course of this year. 

I know that he's highly rated internally and that 90% of this post is utter tripe.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Hot as Hell said:

Where on earth are you pulling that one from? Also, the brains trust now is far different from previous one.... I appreciate the cynicism, and this is a comment that makes no sense.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Danelska said:

Where on earth are you pulling that one from? Also, the brains trust now is far different from previous one.... I appreciate the cynicism, and this is a comment that makes no sense.

Good on you. 

9 hours ago, ProDee said:

I know that he's highly rated internally and that 90% of this post is utter tripe.

Of course he's highly rated. They took him at 9. Won't play 100 afl games

• Angry 1

48 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Pedersen would have been handy today.

Despite our good win, our inability to take a mark in the forward fifty hurt us a lot.

"hurt us a lot?"

We kicked 18 goals, and probably should have had a couple more (bad misses, umpires).  That's a winning score every day of the week.

• Like 3

Big game today at Casey as these two guys (and perhaps the forgotten Tim Smith) will be fighting for a spot back in the senior team next week.  We wont go with Hogan as the sole tall forward against Hawthorn.

Would love nothing more than a dominant performance from Weid that the selectors cant ignore.