Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, ProDee said:

I wrote the following 5 years ago.  I'm not sure who I wrote it to, but I've archived the odd comment over the years for ease of repeating it as necessary.  

I expect Watts to put his body on the line and he simply doesn't. 

If he starts attacking contests and putting his body on the line I'll be the first to acknowledge it.  I expect tumbleweeds.

You are hardly Robinson Crusoe ProDee

Many of us have said exactly the same things over the years.

Watts is not, and will never be physical. Port Adelaide will find that out by round 5 next year.

Can only imagine how Viney and Lewis will act when Jack is nearby in an opposition Guernsey. Could be embarrassing.

Interesting stat here and a disclaimer that i'm not suggesting there is any correlation but:

Heading into round 14 after the Dogs game, we were considered #1 pressure team (Remember the article?) and then fell away remarkably over the coming rounds, incidentally the Dog game is when Jack tore his hamstring. Perhaps his injury hurt our team balance and "defensive pressure" more than we'd like to imagine?

Edited by Deeprived Childhood
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

That's what the recruiting officer in all clubs hope. It is a huge gamble to bring in a late pick for an established and creative player. Even if the kid has great potential, he is not going to help us rise up the ladder next year. It takes time and a lot of us are sick of hearing of success in the far, far future. We want success next season but it just ain't going to happen if we are one experienced player down.

It's not so much a gamble these days when we are trading in other experienced players. We use a draft pick from Watts now, we can trade a different pick on an older player.

There's also the chance for addition by subtraction where you take out a player with limited defensive traits and the team gets better. It worked for Richmond last year with Deledio. That's my  hope

Just now, Bobby McKenzie said:

Who are you thinking might be the experienced player to take Jacks place. We are not doing as well as Port and other clubs in our trading are we?

I'm not. Wouldn't have the slightest idea what we might do with the pick. It's merely an option.

Jack's time with the Dees is over. I back our footy department in their chase for a flag.

Rocky will be a good pickup, but Motlop and particularly Watts will not be the players who push them to a flag. Todays game is too physical at the top echelon.

10 minutes ago, Deeprived Childhood said:

Interesting stat here and a disclaimer that i'm not suggesting there is any correlation but:

Heading into round 14 after the Dogs game, we were considered #1 pressure team (Remember the article?) and then fell away remarkably over the coming rounds, incidentally the Dog game is when Jack tore his hamstring. Perhaps his injury hurt our team balance and "defensive pressure" more than we'd like to imagine?

Also when Jones got injured. Viney was injured the following week from memory (Salem too). A week later Bugg cops 6 weeks. May have something more to do with it than Watts.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 6

Just now, ding said:

Port wont be going out of their way to get us a better pick. They know we want Jack out.

*shrug

You're still going to read at least 10 posters throwing up suggestions for Port to trade up to give us a better pick.

Can see us getting around 30, and no better. Goodwin wants him out, and if we want the new club to pay 100% of his salary, we will accept less than most are expecting for him.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ding said:

Port wont be going out of their way to get us a better pick. They know we want Jack out.

*shrug

And after basically kicking him out we cant tell him to explore his options, nominate a club and then quibble over an early or late 2nd round pick for him and paying some salary. When he nominates a club we'll get the deal done and most on here won't like it saying we got bent over again.

• Like 5

Just now, Deeprived Childhood said:

I'm not following.

Sorry was being a smartarz

Dont see what Polec would add to our mix. Your suggestion of adding a pick to Watts didn't float my boat.

Apologies.

4 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Sorry was being a smartarz

Dont see what Polec would add to our mix. Your suggestion of adding a pick to Watts didn't float my boat.

Apologies.

I just thought that perhaps we can test how much they actually want him by asking for one of their players, and adding an extra pick as a sweetener. Polec has speed as an outside running mid that gets enough of the ball, of if not him, a small forward? I don't see how pick 30 will get packaged up for a first round pick or will net us a draftee that could be of some use now and not in 3-4 years.

Edited by Deeprived Childhood

Just now, Deeprived Childhood said:

I just thought that perhaps we can test how much they actually want him by asking for one of their players, and adding an extra pick as a sweetener. Polec apparently has speed as an outside running mid that gets enough of the ball, of if not him, a small forward? I don't see how pick 30 will get packaged up for a first round pick or will net us a player that could be of some use now and not in 3-4 years.

Take a wider look.

I can see us attempting to lure Gaff as RFA next year. Zero draft cost for a prolific ball winner who can kick. Perfect for our needs.

If we get a reasonable pick for Jack, maybe we can package with more picks for a good early pick, and if not we back Taylor to choose a player who can contribute to the team-first cause over the next few years.

We are not losing much with Jack, so if we don't replace him with an experienced player straight away, at least we turn the list over, as per AFL requirments.

27 minutes ago, juzzk1d said:

Watts has officially nominated Port.

They must need to relieve some cap pressure.

I’d be asking about Hartlett.  Was shopped around last year with no takers.