Zak Jones

dazzledavey36

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Another great game from Zak on the weekend. His price is skyrocketing. Dees could easily accomodate on a wing. (Hunt, Viney, Z Jones). His toughness, ballwinning and skills are very good. As good as(if not better than) Isaac Heeney IMO.

That's not true.

He is hit and miss, like many players on our list.

I like many of Zak's qualities, but kicking is not one and if we're bringing in players next year, I want all of them to be able to use the footy.

It's the most glaringly obvious weakness that we possess throughout our list.

To his credit, he had a brilliant game on the weekend (albeit against poor opposition). He showed some great tenacity that makes it hard not to remind you of his brother but I'd prefer we target someone with a bit more polish in their finishing like a Kelly (maybe some wishful thinking). Saying that, I wouldn't be against trading for Zak. At worst he'd be handy depth, but I wouldn't be willing to part with anything more than a second round pick.

5 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Zak is very similar to his brother. He's a tough, hard running midfielder with solid skills and he is having a great season.

I understand we have a lot of inside midfielders, but he is definitely worth trading for.

I think he can also play as an outside mid, which is what we're lacking. Even with a full list, he's definitely makes best 22 in our side.

35 minutes ago, Stretch Johnson said:

Really...if anyone thinks we couldn't use this bloke they are on drugs.

Not sure anyone is saying we couldn't use him Stretcher, or that he wouldn't be in our best 22.  It's more about our team priorities right now, and whether he meets those needs. Personally, I'd prefer that we use up valuable list space and dollars on a player who is more likely to take us to the next level, such as a classy outside mid.or a goalkicking forward/ruck.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deeoldfart said:

Not sure anyone is saying we couldn't use him Stretcher, or that he wouldn't be in our best 22.  It's more about our team priorities right now, and whether he meets those needs. Personally, I'd prefer that we use up valuable list space and dollars on a player who is more likely to take us to the next level, such as a classy outside mid.or a goalkicking forward/ruck.

I understand the sentiment.

if there were a way we could get this bloke to the club it would be seriously looked at, would be difficult as his currency is rising weekly and will be one of the most sought after players on the market if he becomes available.

Would improve us immensely. 

Edited by Stretch Johnson
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jack Nial is reporting Demons are interested in 'reuniting' Zak with Nathan :rolleyes:

North, Ess and StK also interested (but they seem to be linked with all and sundry).  

Zak fits Goodwin's run and carry game style and we can do with his speed thru the midfield. 

Its a key ingredient we still lack.

• Like 7

I have watched Zac closely this year and he just would add alot to our side. Speed and aggression through the midfield is what we lack. He's also improved his kicking quite alot from last year so his development is going well.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Jack Nial is reporting Demons are interested in 'reuniting' Zak with Nathan :rolleyes:

North, Ess and StK also interested (but they seem to be linked with all and sundry).  

Zak fits Goodwin's run and carry game style and we can do with his speed thru the midfield. 

Its a key ingredient we still lack.

This will happen each time he comes out of contract while Nathan is still playing and Zak is with the Swans.  It will either happen or it will end up like the Swallow boys.

• Like 1

Jake Niall comes across as one of the most unconvincing reporters out there.

That and he looks like he could star in a B grade Zombie movie.

• Like 7

Jane Niall is better than most. He has pretty good contacts and is usually not far off the mark.

Having said that, he's a reporter and all that...

Wouldn't mind us chasing Zak if the price wasn't prohibitive. 

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 5

If he has half the guts of big bro it's a yes from me.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Jane Niall is better than most. He has pretty good contacts and is usually not far off the mark.

Having said that, he's a reporter and all that...

Wouldn't mind us chasing Zak is the price wasn't prohibitive. 

One of those contacts is his brother, Ben, who's been in the player management game for a fair while now.

Jake's articles (when it comes to list management issues) have been pretty good over the journey and he has a solid understanding of that part of the game.

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 9

Does Zak provide outside class though? Yeah, he's quick and breaks lines, but we already have Hunt and Frost who are both line breakers, but neither can kick. Is it worth going after another?

If the price isn't too high I'd have a flutter, otherwise I'd look for someone who ticks all the boxes.

28 minutes ago, A F said:

Does Zak provide outside class though? Yeah, he's quick and breaks lines, but we already have Hunt and Frost who are both line breakers, but neither can kick. Is it worth going after another?

If the price isn't too high I'd have a flutter, otherwise I'd look for someone who ticks all the boxes.

A few Sydney fans have said Zak has not been playing in defence most weeks but as an outside mid and only moved down there to help out a depleted backline earlier in the year as he's comfy 22, and developed there the years prior because that was where the only oppurtunity was (Stacked midfield). So he would be on the wing or would rotate through the middle at our club. They expect him to develop into an outside mid as Rohan winds down me thinks. Edit: Ok Rohan is younger than i expected at 26, but he's so injury prone anyway. and Kieran Jack also finished.

Edited by DominatrixTyson

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/sydney/zak-jones-set-to-remain-in-sydney-shunning-interest-from-home-state-victorian-rivals/news-story/bbbc917a60aeb672c862eb05f8f2488d

It's a pretty nothing article, just that that Swans are confident that Zak wants to stay in Sydney and they are confident they can ward of our interest in him.  There is nothing in the article that actually confirms our interest, more that they are confident he'll sign on.

19 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/sydney/zak-jones-set-to-remain-in-sydney-shunning-interest-from-home-state-victorian-rivals/news-story/bbbc917a60aeb672c862eb05f8f2488d

It's a pretty nothing article, just that that Swans are confident that Zak wants to stay in Sydney and they are confident they can ward of our interest in him.  There is nothing in the article that actually confirms our interest, more that they are confident he'll sign on.

Jack Niall reported our interest a few days ago.

Caroline Wilson reported that Zak is earning under the AFL 'median' pay which is the range of $230k to $250k.  Yes, I was shocked at how low it is but she is rarely wrong with her info

One thing in their favour is that the new CBA tips $2m into their salary cap next year and the Buddy contract does not have escalation clauses - his contracted annual amounts are fixed. 

But if Zak wants to come to Melbourne we can beat any $ Sydney offer without breaching the faith with our players or abandoning the club's mantra of not paying 'overs'.

Zak really fits our 'run and carry' game style and is as tough as so would be rapt to see him in our colours. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Jack Niall reported our interest a few days ago.

Caroline Wilson reported that Zak is earning under the AFL 'median' pay which is the range of $230k to $250k.  Yes, I was shocked at how low it is but she is rarely wrong with her info

Sydney lost Tom Mitchell because their offer was around $350k.  They will need to do a lot better than that to keep Zak.  One thing in their favour is that the new CBA tips $2m into their salary cap next year and the Buddy contract does not have escalation clauses - his contracted annual amounts are fixed. 

But if Zak wants to come to Melbourne we can beat any $ Sydney offer without breaching the faith with our players or abandoning the club's mantra of not paying 'overs'.

Zak really fits our 'run and carry' game style and is as tough as so would be rapt to see him in our colours. 

And that's the crux of the issue - does he really want to move, or can Sydney do enough to keep him?  With the extra $$$ in their salary cap you could argue that they will be able to table a pretty good offer, but if we can match it and he wants to play for a few years with his brother then we are in the box seat.

Sorry for the lazy link post as well, felt like I was letting the team down as you go to great lengths to pull quotes out and all I did was dump it here.  Wasn't much to the article though!

• Like 1