Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Wolfmother said:

Wouldn't mind having a crack at Jack.., he has been injured this season and he would be perfect at 29 to replace a Vince. 

 

Only if he came to us in a Lewis type deal 

 

leadership but not expected to be our best player and I think he would suit our team 

Kieren Jack? Really? He can't get a game for them anymore. Would make no sense.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a hip injury that has kept him out for five weeks and might have impacted 'tis early season form... 

 

He was the captain of a team playing off in the grand final in 2016... you can have bad seasons but don't lose talent overnight 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wolfmother said:

Had a hip injury that has kept him out for five weeks and might have impacted 'tis early season form... 

 

He was the captain of a team playing off in the grand final in 2016... you can have bad seasons but don't lose talent overnight 

Mate have you watched him play at all in the past two seasons? He's an absolute shadow of his former self. He's about to turn 30 and is done.

Edited by Members' Wing
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wolfmother said:

Had a hip injury that has kept him out for five weeks and might have impacted 'tis early season form... 

 

He was the captain of a team playing off in the grand final in 2016... you can have bad seasons but don't lose talent overnight 

He's finished IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DominatrixTyson said:

I have to wonder, if they're trying to off-load Tippett or Reid to keep Zak Jones, then we'd be best not taking the bait (if facebook tippett rumour is true) and instead making a push for Jones and considering Pedo as our full time CHF/ruck chop out for next year and re-assessing the ruck/fwd need in 2018. That gives Sydney not enough time to find a buyer for K-Tip/Reid, and then we can sew the idea more into Jones' head of a move south.

When opportunity knocks sums up the Zak Jones idea. So we give up a first round? Wouldn't we trade Dom Tyson (1st Rnd) for Zak Jones right now? I would.

What is the Tippett rumour on facebook?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Motlop anyone? Free agent and the price would have plummeted. Cats are keen to move him on. Foolhardy to think that our club environment may get more out of a player than another, but they're some of the risks you weigh up when chasing a bargain and I would back Simon in to work it. We're likely to lose Spencer (and maybe Trenners) to FA for little return, bring in Motlop, Casboult and Jackson Trengove as free agents for no currency and we potentially plug most of our pressing holes. If the price is right?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skuit said:

Motlop anyone? Free agent and the price would have plummeted. Cats are keen to move him on. Foolhardy to think that our club environment may get more out of a player than another, but they're some of the risks you weigh up when chasing a bargain and I would back Simon in to work it. We're likely to lose Spencer (and maybe Trenners) to FA for little return, bring in Motlop, Casboult and Jackson Trengove as free agents for no currency and we potentially plug most of our pressing holes. If the price is right?

Most are going to say no. I would go for it for the right price tho. Trouble is, the right price is a third rounder, which they'd laugh at. That and we have forwards galore that need games. I reckon he would go well under a different coach, like Bevo. Also the Ablett thing might see Motlop moved on, not necessarily to Gold Coast, but in a three wayer like the Clark/Varcoe/Lamumba deal. So Motlop, could we reform him into a rebounding defender?

I have a bit of a theory about the Cats that's rattling round my head. I reckon raiding them for players is a good idea. Why do they seem to have only two guys that anyone's scared of? Selwood is a star footballer... but I really think, given some of the smack talk that's come out of his mouth aimed at Viney and Jones, that he has a massive, massive ego. Leigh Matthews style. In an environment where Danger is such an immense talent, and Selwood is such an ego, I wonder if it's the place for a young player to feel like he can become a superstar. To take a game by the scruff of the neck and express himself. I think it's imperative that 22 guys are given the confidence to feel like they can go for the high mark, kick an impossible goal. In other words there should be 22 leaders... the Cats in the Bartel era were exactly that. The current Cats seem to have so many talented kids that don't do that, but pass off to Selwood and Danger and let them do it. I know with teams, so often, it's really not a team, but a team of blue collar types, and then a few guys that really do 80% of the work. That's one of the reasons I love the team currently as the leadership of Viney and Jones really does bring in their team mates, rather than demand the ball and attention themselves. It's usually about the team mate more than themselves.

Take a Motlop and put him in a team where he's given the privilege of being able to play his own game? Yeah. He might work. I don't think it'll happen though. We're actually a tough team to get into at the moment and going forward. And we also have a few specific needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should have drafted him initially- I wanted him then and now he is chunks Brother ffs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

Most are going to say no. I would go for it for the right price tho. Trouble is, the right price is a third rounder, which they'd laugh at. That and we have forwards galore that need games. I reckon he would go well under a different coach, like Bevo. Also the Ablett thing might see Motlop moved on, not necessarily to Gold Coast, but in a three wayer like the Clark/Varcoe/Lamumba deal. So Motlop, could we reform him into a rebounding defender?

I have a bit of a theory about the Cats that's rattling round my head. I reckon raiding them for players is a good idea. Why do they seem to have only two guys that anyone's scared of? Selwood is a star footballer... but I really think, given some of the smack talk that's come out of his mouth aimed at Viney and Jones, that he has a massive, massive ego. Leigh Matthews style. In an environment where Danger is such an immense talent, and Selwood is such an ego, I wonder if it's the place for a young player to feel like he can become a superstar. To take a game by the scruff of the neck and express himself. I think it's imperative that 22 guys are given the confidence to feel like they can go for the high mark, kick an impossible goal. In other words there should be 22 leaders... the Cats in the Bartel era were exactly that. The current Cats seem to have so many talented kids that don't do that, but pass off to Selwood and Danger and let them do it. I know with teams, so often, it's really not a team, but a team of blue collar types, and then a few guys that really do 80% of the work. That's one of the reasons I love the team currently as the leadership of Viney and Jones really does bring in their team mates, rather than demand the ball and attention themselves. It's usually about the team mate more than themselves.

Take a Motlop and put him in a team where he's given the privilege of being able to play his own game? Yeah. He might work. I don't think it'll happen though. We're actually a tough team to get into at the moment and going forward. And we also have a few specific needs.

Motlop is a free agent, so no need for any of the trades you've mentioned above. 

While his best is very good and could work well, I think he's best suited to a position that we seem to have plenty of at the moment, the high half-forward role. We've got ANB, Harmes, Hannan, Tracc, Bugg and to a lesser extent Garlett in the team (from last round) in that role. Plus Kent, JHK, T.Smith at Casey and VDB and Brayshaw (although he's a pure mid long term I think) injured at the moment.

We've got more pressing needs going forward I would think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, CityDee said:

We should have drafted him initially- I wanted him then and now he is chunks Brother ffs

With pick 9? And being Nathan's brother would have been irrelevant to the recruitment team.

If I was going to rewrite history on that draft I'd pick Cripps at 9 - but I'm pretty happy with Salem.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Skuit said:

Motlop anyone? Free agent and the price would have plummeted. Cats are keen to move him on. Foolhardy to think that our club environment may get more out of a player than another, but they're some of the risks you weigh up when chasing a bargain and I would back Simon in to work it. We're likely to lose Spencer (and maybe Trenners) to FA for little return, bring in Motlop, Casboult and Jackson Trengove as free agents for no currency and we potentially plug most of our pressing holes. If the price is right?

No no no 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Skuit said:

Motlop anyone? Free agent and the price would have plummeted. Cats are keen to move him on. Foolhardy to think that our club environment may get more out of a player than another, but they're some of the risks you weigh up when chasing a bargain and I would back Simon in to work it. We're likely to lose Spencer (and maybe Trenners) to FA for little return, bring in Motlop, Casboult and Jackson Trengove as free agents for no currency and we potentially plug most of our pressing holes. If the price is right?

Casboult? Am I missing something here?

(Pun intended)

If we get Motlop as a free agent I would say yes. Has speed and can rotate through the outside miss and forward line. Can go missing but I would take the risk for a free agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Wolfmother said:

Wouldn't mind having a crack at Jack.., he has been injured this season and he would be perfect at 29 to replace a Vince. 

 

Only if he came to us in a Lewis type deal 

 

leadership but not expected to be our best player and I think he would suit our team 

He's got baggage Jack with his parents fueding about his missus, no thanks don't need these issues at our club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nasher said:

With pick 9? And being Nathan's brother would have been irrelevant to the recruitment team.

If I was going to rewrite history on that draft I'd pick Cripps at 9 - but I'm pretty happy with Salem.

Let's come back to the present though, would we give up a pick 10-14 at the end of the year for Zak Jones? On current form, would we trade Dom Tyson for Jones? I think most would say yes. Or going back to the draft year, would we take Salem + Jones instead of Salem + Tyson OVER Kelly? Why bring up Tyson? Well I think he's round about the kind of player we'd select with pick 10-14 i think.

Edited by DominatrixTyson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Demons11 said:

No no no 

One of the great reggae songs

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Night Crawler said:

Casboult? Am I missing something here?

(Pun intended)

If we get Motlop as a free agent I would say yes. Has speed and can rotate through the outside miss and forward line. Can go missing but I would take the risk for a free agent.

Motlop had a 44 goal season in 13 and a 36 goal season in 15, in that regard he's a big upgrade on Kent. I think the problem for Geelong was that they've tried to turn him into an outside running midfield and he just is not up to the task, park him in the forward line and I think he could show a fair bit. People took aim at me last year for saying we have a good culture for him in regard to other indigenous players by saying "how is his ethnicity relevant?" Well there could be a sense of kinship there surrounded by a player like Neville Jetta who's a stand up community leader and Garlett playing exceptionally well this year to keep Motlop training hard as his reputation is being lazy even with Selwood and Dangerfield around him. So in that regard, we could perhaps provide something Geelong can't . We also don't make our players drink our captains bathwater.

Edited by DominatrixTyson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DominatrixTyson said:

Motlop had a 44 goal season in 13 and a 36 goal season in 15, in that regard he's a big upgrade on Kent. I think the problem for Geelong was that they've tried to turn him into an outside running midfield and he just is not up to the task, park him in the forward line and I think he could show a fair bit. People took aim at me last year for saying we have a good culture for him in regard to other indigenous players by saying "how is his ethnicity relevant?" Well there could be a sense of kinship there surrounded by a player like Neville Jetta who's a stand up community leader and Garlett playing exceptionally well this year to keep Motlop training hard as his reputation is being lazy even with Selwood and Dangerfield around him. So in that regard, we could perhaps provide something Geelong can't . We also don't make our players drink our captains bathwater.

He is soft, unreliable and will still command a big salary

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

General rules for posting trades on Footy Forums

1. Find uncontracted player

2. Is there a perceived need for player

3. Are they related to a current player

4. Post

I have no idea if the Dees are interested in Towballs brother but it fits the criteria 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Motlop is a free agent, so no need for any of the trades you've mentioned above. 

While his best is very good and could work well, I think he's best suited to a position that we seem to have plenty of at the moment, the high half-forward role. We've got ANB, Harmes, Hannan, Tracc, Bugg and to a lesser extent Garlett in the team (from last round) in that role. Plus Kent, JHK, T.Smith at Casey and VDB and Brayshaw (although he's a pure mid long term I think) injured at the moment.

We've got more pressing needs going forward I would think.

Yeah that's why I said I thought it was unlikely. But you never know...  Funny things happen in trade weeks. What if someone wanted Kent, ANB etc... Suddenly there's room.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Night Crawler said:

Casboult? Am I missing something here?

(Pun intended)

 

Kicking straighter than anyone at the Dees this year. I know, right? Been working with Sav Rocca and the shrinks.

Trigger warning: John Ralph.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/levi-casboult-has-realised-goalkicking-is-about-more-than-physical-routine-its-a-mental-game/news-story/e3847aa3d78eebbcdffec81ecbbbab41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Demons11 said:

No no no 

You've swayed me with your insightful analysis. We should just get Fyfe and Dusty instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

Yeah that's why I said I thought it was unlikely. But you never know...  Funny things happen in trade weeks. What if someone wanted Kent, ANB etc... Suddenly there's room.

It's still a position we're pretty stacked in, and I don't really see Motlop as being anything other than a high-half forward. For the amount we'd have to pay him, I think we've got more pressing needs.

I'd only say yes, if we knew for sure Kent wanted a trade, Motlop only wanted say $400k and the coaching staff see - Tracc, Bugg or ANB playing more midfield or Harmes more defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Skuit said:

Kicking straighter than anyone at the Dees this year. I know, right? Been working with Sav Rocca and the shrinks.

Trigger warning: John Ralph.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/levi-casboult-has-realised-goalkicking-is-about-more-than-physical-routine-its-a-mental-game/news-story/e3847aa3d78eebbcdffec81ecbbbab41

Well there you go! It looks like I was missing something. Just goes to show that you can improve on goal kicking if you spend enough time on it.

I saw him in the preseason miss a few gimmes and presumed he was still missing the easy ones.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to bump this up the thread. Assuming we are still interested, he played well again yesterday on top of a really good season. He along with Lever are the two we are apparently into in the offseason. Jones can just be a handing over of a first round pick (depending on how high it is, we might get something back), Lever looks like he will cost a mint. Next year's first rounder and ??? If we can deliver both of these boys into our side next year it solves our outside run and key defender issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...