Daisy so impressive!

btdemon

Daisy writes and commentates so well. Have a read of this Age article

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl

Also, can we please combine the AFLW forum with this one rather than having a separate blog. Many of us are just as interested in reading and posting about the AFLW and would like to access all of the info in the one blog. I imagine that many of us go straight to this forum when we open Demonland. It took me a while to work out that there was a separate forum. We are all one team.

• Like 14

Speaking of Demons in the media (and The Age headline today mis-quoted Daisy making her sound somewhat self-indulgent) do we know if Jordan Lewis will be on Fox Footy this year?

• Like 1

Love Daisy, cant wait to see her in action next Saturday

in response to the OP, I prefer having seperate forums for the mens and womans teams.  if i want to read about the mens team I dont want to have to scroll through through the AFLW threads

Daisy is fantastic on and off the field.

@btdemon You can create a 'stream' to show any and all posts meeting various criteria.  Mine is set up as below and shows content from every sub forum.  No matter where I am I just click on the circled 'd' and get the latest posts at the top.  

d.jpg

Edited by Trisul
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing btdemon.

I loved this bit:

But for now, AFLW is a different product to what we are accustomed to in the men's competition. It is less precise and less systematic but an overwhelmingly positive response to the opening round's matches suggests it's not structure and perfection that satiates footy fans. There is something enthralling about the rawness of the women's version.

• Like 3

It seems we have lost Daisy's Off-field services.  She resigned her 'Day job' with the Dees welfare department.  It also involved sponsorship, community work and working with the male coaches.  http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens-afl/aflw-star-daisy-pearce-reveals-how-she-hit-footy-burnout-tipping-point-20170209-gu9j6v.html

It seems football had become all consuming and something had to give.  It seems Jackson tried to lessen the load but Pearce chose to focus on playing and being a captain along with her growing AFLW ambassadorial and media work.  While I greatly admire her ability to prioritise her life, it is sad that we have lost her behind the scenes work at our club.  This is moreso as we lost Michelle Cowan late last year.

We had the two biggest (and best) names in AFLW working with and for our club to help build its future.  Of course Daisy will be a Demon player for her playing life but I can't help but think that with no Cowan and no (off-field) Pearce our development strategy is in disarray.  I can't see Stinear filling that gap in any way whatsoever and all the good administrators and coaches are already taken. 

Interestingly, the club made no announcement that Daisy had resigned her job.  I suspect they were (rightly) concerned about the perception of supporters/memberships, sponsors etc. but to me it speaks volumes to the worries in the background at the club.  Daisy is our captain and will champion our club accordingly but that is different to her being part of the long-term strategy/ambassador for our club.

Having absorbed the impact of that article on our club makes me less optimistic about our AFLW prospects. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

• 2 weeks later...

She writes very well, I think there must be days where she wakes up and has to remind herself this isn't a dream. Everything has moved so fast for her and womens football, and being recognised as probably the best in the game she's had to wear a lot of responsibility on her shoulders.

I remember her really excellent commentary during the opening Carlton-Collignwood match. Clear enunciation and articulation, and almost everything she said was football related and actually making a point instead of waffling. Even if you're not paying much attention to the commentary, she has a pleasant voice that isn't annoying to have in the background.

Is there anything Daisy can't do? It is getting ridiculous. :wub:

Daisy Pearce is someone we should be hoping is a part of the culture of the Melbourne Football Club for the next half century at least!

5 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

How much fun is it watching a game of football to see who is going to break out in any given week?

Women's game is so gloriously volatile at the moment.

Damn straight. First week I was a bit unsure of everyone. But now i'm slowly starting to learn who players are and really enjoy seeing a new perspective each.

Paxman v Collingwood, Misfud vs Bulldogs.

Misfud only got 3 touches in the first 2 games but looked a million bucks last week. Hope they leave her forward.

Daisy last week started to show why she is so highly rated. Had the ball on a string.

• Like 2

Another insightful article by Daisy. http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens-afl/daisy-pearce-column-being-an-aflw-marquee-player-is-a-doubleedged-sword-20170301-guonjp.html

She makes a really good point about the AFLW being at an embryonic stage whereas the media and scrutiny are up there equivalent to that applied to AFL players.  To her credit she embraces it.  But it must be awfully difficult for a player to be anonymous one day to being on a host of media outlets a month later.  I speak not only of Daisy, Moana Hope and those with some experience but also the young players like our Mithen, Miffsud etc that have been thrown into the limelight. 

And they have not blinked!  Awesome off field achievement by AFLW players from all teams.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2