Training - Wednesday 14th December, 2016

DeeSpencer

Just got here to see JKH sprain a finger and walk back to AAMI. 

Then ANB got caught up with Lewis diving for a loose ball in a beach flags type drill and immediately grabbed his knee and looked very upset. Walked off unaided back to AAMI. I wonder if his patella popped in and out again.

No Jetta or Brayshaw here since I've been here

• Like 7

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Just got here to see JKH sprain a finger and walk back to AAMI. 

Then ANB got caught up with Lewis diving for a loose ball in a beach flags type drill and immediately grabbed his knee and looked very upset. Walked off unaided back to AAMI. I wonder if his patella popped in and out again.

No Jetta or Brayshaw here since I've been here

Not the greatest news to start off.

• Like 4

I went down for about an hour today, my first training session bar Grand Final Eve at Junction Oval in 88.

As Deespencer mentioned, first thing I saw was JKH looking in a bit of discomfort holding his wrist and then being looked at, may well have been a finger but was clearly supporting his wrist and did not continue. 2 mins later I see the trainers run out to ANB where the mids were doing their drills. He was on the ground for a good 30 to 45 seconds but got up and slowly walked off straight past me looking more than despondent, shaking his head. I have no idea what the injury is.

At the same time, J Watts walks over to the physio in discomfort with his back...his comment was ``gee there's a few going down today`` and was worked on for what would have been 10 mins. He had been with the backline doing their drills, however returned to the forward group where he seemed to just act as a decoy with little involvement for the last 20 mins of the session. He was running but certainly looked far from 100% in my mind.

No joke that all happened in the first 5 mins of me being there and thought geez what sort of a jinx am I.

Anyway onto my positives ... the morale and the skill in the backline was awesome. Anytime there was some good work done (multiple times) they were all cheering and encouraging.

Very impressed with young Dion Johnstone, nice skills all round. He is a lot smaller than I expected though. Corey Maynard is a lot more solid than I was expecting, a great rig for footy. Hulett has a lovely set shot on him from 50. Robbo still has a nice roost on him too and my word Crossy is just a machine, such a positive role model to have around the group. He looks like he just wants to play! Tyson looks as fit as I`ve seen him.

Really enjoyed being there despite the injuries at the start.

• Like 30

Thanks DP and HB, wow not such a great start but always grateful for all info regarding Dee's Training sessions and insights into our list.!!!

• Like 1

ANB as you know has an issue with his knee in the past, got a hit on exactly the wrong spot, nothing major, that was from Ben Mathews

JKH did his finger

Jeff Garlett got a belt on the nose

Dean Kent tweaked his calf on the run at the beginning 

Jack Watts just a bit of tightening in the back, had it loosened up, from Jack

No Nev Jetta or Col Garland, Melksham, Wagner and Brayshaw on light duties

I finally got ask to Weed about his size, put on 4kg now at 94kg, they only want him to play at 95kg, matter of building a rig now, his words

First up today 6 min run, Tommy Mc (of course) Hogan then Bugg

• Like 24

14 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Agree with HB, Dion Johnstone is getting better each session

Good sessions today from Viney?Jones, Vince, Lewis

Salem is definitely training as a mid

Many thanks Saty, which planet did you watch training from?

Is Trac training with the midfield group or forwards?

I'll be putting some pics on Instagram later

Trac was mainly training with the forward group again today, he is another one that looks better and better each session

They had them practicing non preferred goalkicking on the move today, some of the efforts were 'interesting'

Of the other 'wounded' both Tommy Mc and Pedo did a lot of the session but no contact work of course

Mitch King did bits and pieces, reckons at least another few weeks away from full training

Only two in rehab group Mitch Hannan and Luke from the Academy.

Melksham Brayshaw and Wagner walked some laps, did a bit of handball and left

• Like 4

Great reports from DS and Hell Bent, although the slight injury concerns aren't great.  We've seemingly had a pretty good run until now, so hopefully each injury is only something minor or a niggle and there is plenty of time to get over that through the Xmas break.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Great reports from DS and Hell Bent, although the slight injury concerns aren't great.  We've seemingly had a pretty good run until now, so hopefully each injury is only something minor or a niggle and there is plenty of time to get over that through the Xmas break.

I was just thinking how good a run we've had with injuries. Thankfully these ones sound pretty minor. We've had more than our fair share of season ending nightmares over the years, so the footy gods owe us a good run at it. ;)

• Like 2

Just now, SaberFang said:

I was just thinking how good a run we've had with injuries. Thankfully these ones sound pretty minor. We've had more than our fair share of season ending nightmares over the years, so the footy gods owe us a good run at it. ;)

Absolutely mate.  We're never going to get through a pre-season without some form of injury, so fingers crossed these come out as only very minor setbacks and it won't hinder their preparation for the real stuff early next year.

16 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

I'll be putting some pics on Instagram later

Trac was mainly training with the forward group again today, he is another one that looks better and better each session

They had them practicing non preferred goalkicking on the move today, some of the efforts were 'interesting'

Of the other 'wounded' both Tommy Mc and Pedo did a lot of the session but no contact work of course

Mitch King did bits and pieces, reckons at least another few weeks away from full training

Only two in rehab group Mitch Hannan and Luke from the Academy.

Melksham Brayshaw and Wagner walked some laps, did a bit of handball and left

im still staggered that these elite juniors that come through cant kick on their NP.  what kind of junior coaches would they have they wouldn't include NP kicking at training? you want to be at the very least servicable on your NP

amateur stuff

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, DubDee said:

im still staggered that these elite juniors that come through cant kick on their NP.  what kind of junior coaches would they have they wouldn't include NP kicking at training? you want to be at the very least servicable on your NP

amateur stuff

I totally agree,  but you see them arrive from junior ranks with no other foot   of the present group, the only players who look totally at ease are Hogan,  Jones, Vince, Salem

3 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

He was light duties today, so didn't do any kicking, haven't noticed him previously, so that may be good thing. Perhaps DS can offer an insight

Brayshaw is brilliant on his non preferred side. Like Sam Mitchell it is hard to tell the difference and like Mitchell, though not s often, he suses his left when a right foot kick is an option.

23 minutes ago, tilly18 said:

When kicking became king the focus was to develop a weapon on your preferred. NP was dropped out of the equation.

madness!  it is possible to do both when its your full time job

• Like 1

The highlight of the short bit of training I watched today was Petracca marking with a group of forwards. He'd take up front spot and a kick would come in and he'd go head to head with some of the other tall forwards, with the winner staying on. Tracc used his strength and athleticism to mark 3 in a row against Hulett, Watts and Weid (I think). There was a lot of cheering and hollering. Then he went against Gawn who had too much strength and reach and out marked him.

Garlett was too strong/clever for Ben Ken and JKH.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, binman said:

Brayshaw is brilliant on his non preferred side. Like Sam Mitchell it is hard to tell the difference and like Mitchell, though not s often, he suses his left when a right foot kick is an option.

That could be it for Brayshaw, he just looks at ease and the same no matter the foot , on that, Tyson is getting better on the right

At the moment the issue when field kicking is they either under or over hit it when on the non preferred, so along the ground or over the receivers head

Robbo and some of the admin guys came down to help with ball retrieval when the non preferred goal kicking was on, it was a dangerous place and not just behind the sticks, but on the whole it is slowly getting bettet