• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Monday 5th December, 2016

DeeSpencer

Great to read that they are concentrating on skills NB non preferred kicking.   For too long this time of year has been fully concentrated on getting fit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, binman said:

Great insights saty. i prefer when you dont argue foe arguments sake.

How is salem looking? if he stays fit he will almost be like a seasoned new recruit.

Salem is looking fit and healthy, hopes/thinks/knows he is over his health issues, says he is stronger than last year

As for the other bit, the negativity bores me, the team is in a great place, let's just look forward, every player wants to get better, any player that doesn't won't be a player for long

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Just a comment on the non preferred kicking drill, seems to happen every session now, Hogan is one of the better exponents, looks at ease on both

It is getting better, they even have a drill where they receive a kick with back to goal and have to turn left or right and kick with non preferred to player running wide, a few wayward and ground balls, I nearly wore Sam Frost coming straight at me, he decided to leave ball and avoid fence, I reckon Goodwin will have a team who can kick and properly by April

They are also doing a lot of agility work, seems to be get it out of the traffic and run Forest run, Salem got a huge pat on the back from Macca for just hitting a dropped ball forward into the path of a player running past, instead of stopping and trying to pick it up

I'm excited by this development and it's in nearly every drill. Maybe you've riled him up Saty but Dom Tyson even seems to be going out of his way to use his right in drills. 

I think every AFL player should work very hard on their non preferred to have it at a standard that allows them to use it reliably to get out of trouble and kick to space or in front of a target. But I'm not sure you can create dual sided players out of previous one sided players within one preseason. So when game simulation or games come around I wonder if Goodwin + co will try to reign it in to prevent turnovers. 

I hope there's a few Goodwin's coaching under 12's, under 14's and TAC teams because that's when you can really make a difference to kicking. AFL players take years to improve steadily but it's very hard to fix the ones who come in with bad habits.

The Hawks were way ahead of the pack when it came to tapping the ball on. Helped that they had Cyril and co who could read the play and tap cleverly, move like lightning + pick up the loose balls. Other teams tried it last year including us with some mixed results. I think it's a great strategy when moving the ball forward in space. I think it's a terrible idea under pressure down back!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Great to read that they are concentrating on skills NB non preferred kicking.   For too long this time of year has been fully concentrated on getting fit.

The pessimist in my thinks we'll  now get the skills right but not have the run! But they train long hours and do some heavy running drills then add in the running sessions when needed. 

The rehab group certainly do a heap of running with some mixed in. I often wonder if they are fitter than the main group and some of the would be. But I guess it's an indication that high intensity constant movement footy drills are a lot more taxing than they appear. Tommy Mc, Viney, Trengove and Vanders were in a group doing heavy repeat sprints towards the end of a solid session today.

All the rehab guys are frequently timed between two cones as they run up and down the far wing. I haven't quite cracked the code to see if they fitness coaches are aiming for max speed or just repeat sets at a steady pace. JKH was in to longer sprints around the bend. Wagner was seemingly pounding out the laps. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Worth reading just for the bit I have bolded.

I'm hoping Lewis can be really good for Salem. If Salem develops an ability to play in the guts, it makes him a much better prospect. He certainly has the hardness to do it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

The pessimist in my thinks we'll  now get the skills right but not have the run! But they train long hours and do some heavy running drills then add in the running sessions when needed. 

Spoke to a few of them about the 'lack' of running in the pre season up to now, as you know they are all on GPS, running longer distances at a more consistent pace, very little drop off, reason the ball was out second session, no need as in the past to spend pre Xmas getting them fit.

• Like 2

On 5 December 2016 at 6:36 PM, Night Crawler said:

How is he going @Drunkn167? Any reports on how he is finding the club/training?

Just FYI I have been advised that it is agaisnt MFC policy to talk about specific, insider player information on any publicly available areas. 

However, I 'think' he is really enjoying it, is settling into the workload nicely and already has been involved in some pretty amazing stuff. To be honest I don't think I've ever seen him so happy. He knows he is involved in something very special. 

• Like 21

Also I'd like to add, I have seen a fair bit of discussion about he's ability to play at an AFL level comparing to his VFL performance. 

It seems like a lot of people were forgetting he was working a full time, very physical job, then training at close to an AFL level 3 nights a week for up to 3 hours, which would see him up to 16 hours a day away from home. Despite all this, he was competing on the same level and even sometimes at a higher level then the AFL listed players. In a full time footy environment, and 'touchwood' he doesn't get injured, he will be playing at a very competitive level next season. 

• Like 22

28 minutes ago, Drunkn167 said:

Just FYI I have been advised that it is agaisnt MFC policy to talk about specific, insider player information on any publicly available areas. 

However, I 'think' he is really enjoying it, is settling into the workload nicely and already has been involved in some pretty amazing stuff. To be honest I don't think I've ever seen him so happy. He knows he is involved in something very special. 

You're a gem D we really appreciate the little bit of info on how the young fella is finding things.

Also I have no idea how letting on how he is finding the step up from VFL to AFL training is against any MFC policy's... F the fun police.

8 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

You're a gem D we really appreciate the little bit of info on how the young fella is finding things.

Also I have no idea how letting on how he is finding the step up from VFL to AFL training is against any MFC policy's... F the fun police.

Naah...not fun police. Clubs have certain protocols and they must be adhered to - happy to get D167s input without upsetting the applecart. ? 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Drunkn167 said:

I wondered how long it would be before they got to you! I have a good feeling about Dec. He is my pick of the draftees this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Domgus Petrogan said:

Just had a look at the pics @Satyriconhome,  Hulett looks like he will be a monster one day. 

Already a good size and still just a kid!

Anyone think he'll get a crack at the seniors next year?

I do, but, I would like to get the club to play him @ CHB .I feel he could play well there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hulett Packard III said:

Naah...not fun police. Clubs have certain protocols and they must be adhered to - happy to get D167s input without upsetting the applecart. ? 

What vital internal info could possibly be given away by giving an insight into how he has found the jump between grades? Let's not take the game to seriously folks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Drunkn167 said:

5 hours ago, Cards13 said:

What vital internal info could possibly be given away by giving an insight into how he has found the jump between grades? Let's not take the game to seriously folks.

I think you'll find it relates primarily to concerns about giving away sensitive information, such as player injuries. It will also be linked to integrity concerns. Remember when Nick Maxwell told a family member that he would be playing in the forward line? That family member, or perhaps a friend of that family member, then placed a bet on Maxwell to be the first goal scorer of the match.

While there's a big difference between specific information being disclosed and a general comment on how a player is finding the jump between grades, it is much easier for the club to issue a single instruction not to share any information rather than explaining to players what's allowed to be discussed and what isn't. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Drunkn167 said:

Also I'd like to add, I have seen a fair bit of discussion about he's ability to play at an AFL level comparing to his VFL performance. 

It seems like a lot of people were forgetting he was working a full time, very physical job, then training at close to an AFL level 3 nights a week for up to 3 hours, which would see him up to 16 hours a day away from home. Despite all this, he was competing on the same level and even sometimes at a higher level then the AFL listed players. In a full time footy environment, and 'touchwood' he doesn't get injured, he will be playing at a very competitive level next season. 

Great stuff drunkn. you have become the most liked dl poster ever. when dec gets his crack at afl level dl should coordinate a celebration at the game - perhaps a limited edition kiel tee shirt

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cards13 said:

I wasn't saying that I couldn't answer that specific question, I was just giving a general warning that my hands will be tied in certain situations ^_^

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cards13 said:

21 minutes ago, Drunkn167 said:

I wasn't saying that I couldn't answer that specific question, I was just giving a general warning that my hands will be tied in certain situations ^_^

Accepted. I don't really think anyone wanted the detail of our round 1 lineup and interchange tactics, just a general feeling about a player's transition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

I do

I'll try my best, normally I know when I am getting a straight bat answer, or if I am asked not to pass on

Asked Dion Johnstone about settling in, loving every second surprisiingly, Club making sure they don't break him. Up close nice and solid, same basic physique as Nev, as he matures will be a handful in the fwd line

• Like 1

On 05/12/2016 at 11:32 AM, DeeSpencer said:

Two kids from the AFL academy I assume (don't look like Casey players). 1 in rehab wearing 31, the other in the main group wearing the vacant 8.

King, Viney, T Mac (in compression socks and shorts), Wagner, Hannan, Vanders, JKH, Pedersen, Flippers, Trengove, Maynard, unknown  31 in rehab.

Lewis back in the main group.

Hogan on deck 

:o

On 5 December 2016 at 5:13 PM, DeeSpencer said:

Is it better to be an optimist who is sometimes wrong, or a pessimist who is always right?