2016 Player Review - # 6 Chris Dawes

Demonland

Calf injuries and inconsistent form marred his season to the point where he had very limited impact.

Games MFC 2016 6

Career Total 121 (50 MFC)

Goals MFC 2016 4

Career Total 130 (47)

Games CSFC 2016 4

Goals CSFC 2016 10

Keith "Bluey" Truscott Memorial Trophy 30 votes

Even by the low standards of the previous 3 years, Dawes' contribution in 2016 was dismal. He has the uncanny ability to be where the ball isn't, and he and Hogan clearly can't operate in the same forward line. I don't question his effort, but his performance this season suggests that the game has well and truly passed him by.

It is all well and good for Dawes to be chief cheerleader for Casey during the finals, but he really should have been playing if he wanted to demonstrate that he had a future with the MFC. Behind Newton, he should be the next on the list to be delisted.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Thanks Chris

Any time!

I should ask though, what are you thanking me for?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

Any time!

I should ask though, what are you thanking me for?

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Feel for Dawes as I know how much he wants to succeed and repay the faith Melbourne have put into him.  His body just wont allow him to however.

Time for Dawes to be moved on for mine as Melbourne look to add that 2nd ruck/forward to our structure.

• Like 4

4 years.... 50 games .... 47 goals .... and one of the highest paid on the list

Merely a question of list management for mine (is he realistically keeping someone decent including someone new off the list... not out of the 22). If not bare minimum offer contract with incentives.

He is 28 so perhaps has another 3 seasons if he can get fit but I ran out of patience this year if not last. Leave this one to the club to decide methinks.

There is no doubt he adds structure but question whether in the modern game and with his lack of marking ability this is worth perseverance.

Just had a better look at some of Dawes' game  stats while at Melbourne

In 2014 he played 18 games .... his most games in a season so far for MFC.

He did not feature in the top 10 best and fairest for 2014.... average disposals per game 12 in 2014 .... not exactly stellar even when he gets on the park

43 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

4 years.... 50 games .... 47 goals .... and one of the highest paid on the list

Merely a question of list management for mine (is he realistically keeping someone decent including someone new off the list... not out of the 22). If not bare minimum offer contract with incentives.

He is 28 so perhaps has another 3 seasons if he can get fit but I ran out of patience this year if not last. Leave this one to the club to decide methinks.

There is no doubt he adds structure but question whether in the modern game and with his lack of marking ability this is worth perseverance.

Yes, I think that's probably the best way!!

A few Facebook sites are reporting he is all but gone. I know that this now must be the case because facebook said so. 

• Like 1

Would look good in black and gold .

• Like 1

From the AFL website

Melbourne veteran Chris Dawes has attracted interest from rival clubs and still has something to offer

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-03/stats-a-bargain-top-trade-targets-by-the-numbers

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I think Dawes will get a 12 month offer until the Weid is ready. 

The fact that Pedersen was sent off for repairs* before the season ended indicates to me that he will be staying....and I can't see that we would hang onto both Pedersen and Dawes....so 2-1=1 in my view.

Not quite sure what he would offer remaining on the list "until the Weid is ready" if Cam is still there, especially as Chris finds it even harder to take the field for Casey than for MFC.

*not sure if any repairs would work for Chris

Edited by monoccular

2 hours ago, monoccular said:

The fact that Pedersen was sent off for repairs* before the season ended indicates to me that he will be staying....and I can't see that we would hang onto both Pedersen and Dawes....so 2-1=1 in my view.

Not quite sure what he would offer remaining on the list "until the Weid is ready" if Cam is still there, especially as Chris finds it even harder to take the field for Casey than for MFC.

Wait and see i suppose...

Pedersen can be used in the Ruck if needed. Dawes is a Forward

4 hours ago, Fatman Blues said:

From the AFL website

Melbourne veteran Chris Dawes has attracted interest from rival clubs and still has something to offer

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-03/stats-a-bargain-top-trade-targets-by-the-numbers

Interesting link. I see that they are not mentioning Dunn amongst the backmen who might be on the move.

I think Hogan's re-signing stamps the papers of either Dawes or Pedo and Pedo is more likely to get on the park. 

Dawes' contribution to our rebuild should not be considered only his on field performance.  Watching him with the players off-field it is clear that he had offered valuable leadership and experience to a young list and probably played an important part in developing a better culture. 

He hasn't lived up to it on field and we would have loved more output but I think, given where we were at, his acquisition had still probably had a positive impact on our club. 

Good luck Chris in whatever you are doing next year.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, monoccular said:

This is not really about either Pedersen or Dawes, but just on the question of post-season "repairs", wouldn't all clubs have an obligation to "repair" players injured through the season whether or not those players were going to continue? I would have thought it was an EBA or Workcover obligation. If so, I wouldn't draw any conclusions from some players having post-season surgery and others not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

This is not really about either Pedersen or Dawes, but just on the question of post-season "repairs", wouldn't all clubs have an obligation to "repair" players injured through the season whether or not those players were going to continue? I would have thought it was an EBA or Workcover obligation. If so, I wouldn't draw any conclusions from some players having post-season surgery and others not. 

I'd agree except that Pedo played the season out at Casey despite his injury then got repaired before finals. 

If we didn't intend to keep him there would be no rush to get him repaired. And if he was getting delisted he'd probably want to play finals first. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, deanox said:

I'd agree except that Pedo played the season out at Casey despite his injury then got repaired before finals. 

If we didn't intend to keep him there would be no rush to get him repaired. And if he was getting delisted he'd probably want to play finals first. 

You may be right. But the "rush to get him repaired" may have simply been because whatever it was that afflicted him was painful. I know when I'm in pain I prefer the speedier solution.

On 03/10/2016 at 3:59 AM, AngryAtCasey said:

Feel for Dawes as I know how much he wants to succeed and repay the faith Melbourne have put into him.  His body just wont allow him to however.

Time for Dawes to be moved on for mine as Melbourne look to add that 2nd ruck/forward to our structure.

It's not just his body. It's his football ability.

7 hours ago, Diamond said:

It's not just his body. It's his football ability.

His best is good enough, as he showed at stages in 2013 & 2014.

But your entitled to think that if you like.

• Like 1