VFL GRAND FINAL - CASEY SCORPIONS v FOOTSCRAY BULLDOGS

spirit of norm smith

Hulett did nothing to provide me with any optimism.

Matt Jones was our best-and I am knocker of him but he runs his arse off .

The Weed is a player and we know Clarrie is Brownlow material.

JT can still play a role in the future-probably not a starring role.

Recruit Smith FFS and let the rest pursue their careers elsewhere.

Disappointed Spencer has gotten too heavy again.

• Like 1

RABBITS OUT OF A HAT by KC from Casey

They were somehow a goal up at the main break although they weren't playing all that well so we thought that Casey would come out after half time and do what they had done for most of the season in these circumstances - they would pull a few rabbits out of a hat, turn things around and win comfortably as they did in the qualifying final three weeks ago.

Unfortunately, on this occasion and in the most important game of the year, it was out of the question. The Bulldogs were on a high and on a ground that suited their running style to perfection and in what has become the premiership quarter. They squeezed the life out of the Scorpions to keep them scoreless while they surged and surged and surged to record 18 more inside-50s and kick eight goals four behinds. 

Now, to outscore an opponent by 50 points in one quarter of any game is really something but in a grand final it's sensational.

The Scorpions looked sluggish from the start and were well and truly out pointed in the first quarter but the Doggies simply couldn't get enough goals on the board so that when Casey counter attacked in the second, mainly through the on ball brilliance of Clayton Oliver and the strength and marking ability of Tim Smith and Sam Weideman, it looked as if a big Scorpion second half and a predictable finish to a glorious season was on the cards.

It was not be. One of the hallmarks of the team over the past two seasons has been ruck dominance which has given the on ball division an armchair ride. For the most part of this game, that was missing. Jake Spencer and young Oscar McInerney were well beaten by the Bulldogs' big men, both in the ruck contests and around the ground in marking duels. In a game of percentages, that led to a far reduced impact from the Casey midfield in terms of both number and quality of possessions. 

Some of the usually steady players who racked up big numbers during the season for Casey were down and under pressure. They were run off their feet and  in that third quarter, even the strong defence gave way and crumbled.

There were no rabbits to pull out of the hat.

Peter Jackson VFL 2016

Casey Scorpions 2.1.13 6.3.39 6.3.39 10.6.66

Footscray Bulldogs 2.7.19 4.9.33 12.13.85 13.19.97

Goals

Casey Scorpions T Smith 3 Weideman 2 Hulett Newton Scott Trengove White 

Footscray Bulldogs Jamieson 3 Campbell Long 2 Dale Hannan Lynch Nash Tashevski-Beckwith Williams

Best

Casey Scorpions Oliver T Smith Dunn J Smith Kennedy Newton

Footscray Bulldogs Jong, Stevens Russell Campbell, Webb Barry

Statistics 

Lynden Dunn 21 disposals 18 kicks 3 handballs 7 marks 5 tackles 101 dream team points
Colin Garland 15 disposals 10 kicks 5 handballs 5 marks 3 tackles 67 dream team points
Jack Grimes 24 disposals 11 kicks 13 handballs 3 marks 5 tackles 88 dream team points
Liam Hulett 1 goal 2 behinds 9 disposals 6 kicks 3 handballs 3 marks 41 dream team points
Matt Jones 27 disposals 16 kicks 11 handballs 2 marks 4 tackles 93 dream team points
Ben Kennedy 24 disposals 16 kicks 8 handballs 2 marks 3 tackles 80 dream team points
Viv Michie 21 disposals 10 kicks 11 handballs 3 marks 3 tackles 71 dream team points
Alex Neal-Bullen 22 disposals 14 kicks 8 handballs 3 marks 6 tackles 92 dream team points
Ben Newton 17 disposals 9 kicks 8 handballs 6 marks 6 tackles 79  dream team points
Clayton Oliver 31 disposals 12 kicks 19 handballs 3 marks 6 tackles 1 hit out 105 dream team points
Joel Smith 18 disposals 7 kicks 11 handballs 2 marks 2 tackles 57 dream team points
Jake Spencer 4 disposals 1 kicks 3 handballs 5 tackles 23 hit outs 46 dream team points
Dean Terlich 12 disposals 9 kicks 3 handballs 2 marks 4 tackles 40 dream team points
Jack Trengove 1 goal 20 disposals 11 kicks 9 handballs 5 marks 2 tackles 3 hit outs 84 dream team points
Sam Weideman 2 goals 2 behinds 12 disposals 6  kicks 6 handballs 6 marks 2 tackles 71 dream team points
Mitch White 1 goal 14 disposals 8 kicks 6 handballs 2 marks 5 tackles 68 dream team points

13 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

You were not around in '88?

i was "made" to watch it with 4 workmates up until the Cup was paraded around the ground

Never forgotten that day. They will pay before i die. 

Yeh 88' ,what a year of highs and lows .......... lost the Granny had to put up with brown and yellow [censored] inside the G and outside it,  and 2000- lucky I was in the UK, thats' all I can say.

• Like 1

Pathetic game, really disappointed.  Stage fright really kicked in didn't it?

Also a note on the alignment, it really sucks.  I felt like a fool wearing my Melbourne gear to a game that Melbourne were not playing in.  You know like those people that go to a game and wear their colours even though their team played the day before.  The Casey Scorpions will never be the Melbourne Demons and the Demons will only ever be a part of them. The atmosphere when the Scorps ran out was so flat & no one knows the team song, myself included, as I didn't even think about that until it started playing and I'm like "oh yeah it's not the Dees".  When the dogs ran out the usual thing happened at every game vfl or afl, everyone sang their song proudly, wonder why.  To me it just didn't feel like I was there to support the Dees.

This bullcrap that we cannot afford a stand alone teams gets discredited when the doggies prove they can do it.  They are only just in front of us in memberships, and we make more money than they have over the last few years.  Would we have to pay out a heap of money to the city of Casey if we break the partnership?  

Time to cut this alignment and get a reserves that the people can really get behind.

This is just my two cents worth and I have been feeling like this over the whole year, I tried to get excited about Casey playing so well, and I know i should because we are part of them but I just can't.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

Also a note on the alignment, it really sucks.  I felt like a fool wearing my Melbourne gear to a game that Melbourne were not playing in.  You know like those people that go to a game and wear their colours even though their team played the day before.  The Casey Scorpions will never be the Melbourne Demons and the Demons will only ever be a part of them. The atmosphere when the Scorps ran out was so flat & no one knows the team song, myself included, as I didn't even think about that until it started playing and I'm like "oh yeah it's not the Dees".  When the dogs ran out the usual thing happened at every game vfl or afl, everyone sang their song proudly, wonder why.  To me it just didn't feel like I was there to support the Dees.

This bullcrap that we cannot afford a stand alone teams gets discredited when the doggies prove they can do it.  They are only just in front of us in memberships, and we make more money than they have over the last few years.  Would we have to pay out a heap of money to the city of Casey if we break the partnership?  

Time to cut this alignment and get a reserves that the people can really get behind.

This is just my two cents worth and I have been feeling like this over the whole year, I tried to get excited about Casey playing so well, and I know i should because we are part of them but I just can't.

The lowest of the low.

I absolutely agree with your sentiment and our own stand alone team would be a great development for the club and the supporters. We have shot ourselves in the foot with a bazooka with this 25 year contract with Casey. Or is it 30?

Geez, we're the best team all year, top of the ladder, make the grand final in both the VFL and dev league, lose the game and all of a sudden we're pathetic and need to go stand alone.

Have a listen to all the talk of unity between MFC and Casey and read between the lines. We're not going stand alone any time soon.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Spencer 4 disposals and 0 marks - 46 dream team points. Disgraceful 

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief we continue to sign this spud up year after year when theres been far more suitable 2nd ruckman out there the past couple of years.

• Like 4

Pathetic performance really, in such a big game. Even when Casey were in front at half time I felt like they were by far the inferior team. The performance suggested to me that half of the team had been told that morning that they wouldn't have contracts for next year. The rest just didn't care.

Oliver was clearly our best, but once again he didn't have the endurance to play four quarters. He needs to spend the next 6 months building his tank.

I have previously been confident of Spencer's ability to play a role at senior level, but he was simply appalling. We badly need an upgrade. Kennedy confirmed my opinion that he has tickets on himself and does not have the work rate to make it. Neal-Bullen again failed to match the step up in quality and won't make it. Newton and Michie were as bad as ever and will both be delisted. Grimes, Trengove and Jones were disappointing for senior players. Terlich okay in parts, and worthy of at least one senior game over the past two years, but won't be around next year. Hulett is miles off. Weideman is okay when his intensity up. Garland is finished, regardless of contract status. Dunn is okay when he can get to the contest, but is so predictable with ball in hand. Smith shows some promise but needs to get to more contests. White won't make it and should be delisted, particularly if we get Hibberd.

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

Geez, we're the best team all year, top of the ladder, make the grand final in both the VFL and dev league, lose the game and all of a sudden we're pathetic and need to go stand alone.

Have a listen to all the talk of unity between MFC and Casey and read between the lines. We're not going stand alone any time soon.

It was a pathetic game, I didn't say the team was pathetic like you twisted my words to be.  We played so well through out the year, and I did mention that, thats why it was pathetic because of the way we lost. The call for a stand alone has been around for a long time, it is not all of a sudden. I know that we are not going to cancel it any time soon Stuie, but you cannot disagree that it just doesn't sit right surely? Watching the pies, dogs and bombers have their own VFL team why we have to rely on another club is not an ideal situation. I also know that it isn't as easy as just saying ok we are now on our own lets play, we need a ground, training facilities all that, but it isn't impossible is it?

Just now, Clint Bizkit said:

Disagree.

Why?  Whats the benefits except the fact they have a ground and new facilities?  What do we get out of aligning with a separate club.

6 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

It was a pathetic game, I didn't say the team was pathetic like you twisted my words to be.  We played so well through out the year, and I did mention that, thats why it was pathetic because of the way we lost. The call for a stand alone has been around for a long time, it is not all of a sudden. I know that we are not going to cancel it any time soon Stuie, but you cannot disagree that it just doesn't sit right surely? Watching the pies, dogs and bombers have their own VFL team why we have to rely on another club is not an ideal situation. I also know that it isn't as easy as just saying ok we are now on our own lets play, we need a ground, training facilities all that, but it isn't impossible is it?

Wasn't quoting just you mate, just noticed a fair few throwing the term "pathetic" around.

Yeah we did play well through the year, have the best unity between AFL and VFL we've ever had from my memory, had the best team all year, made the grand final, our AFL listed players were Casey's best players, I don't really see what the problem is to be honest. Sits fine with me. Sure a few other teams have standalone VFL sides, the Hawks don't though and they go ok. Not saying it will never happen, but I think for now it's working quite well. I might not have said that last year, but this year has been a successful one IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clint Bizkit said:

We don't have the burden of paying for two teams and two sets of facilities for no benefit.

Not sure i would call it a burden and I disagree that there is no benefit too.

Imagine if we could build a monstrosity like Essendon has.  1 MCG sized oval, 1 Etihad sized oval. HQ for all staff to be together, ahhh we can dream I guess.

2 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

Imagine if we could build a monstrosity like Essendon has.  1 MCG sized oval, 1 Etihad sized oval. HQ for all staff to be together, ahhh we can dream I guess.

What's that got to do with Casey?

In an ideal world we would have a reserves Melbourne team, but there are far greater priorities for the club to spend its time, money and resources on. Casey finished on top of the ladder and failed in a Grand Final, hardly worth getting too upset about.

I don't get the wrist slashing on this thread?

Sure they didn't play well yesterday but overall the season was a success and it is great to see the Demons and Casey building a strong relationship.

People saying that we were pathetic, Sydney were flogged in a Grand Final by the Hawks and are now back there. These things happen, it doesn't mean all the players are useless, just sometimes it doesn't click on the day.

You all need to chill out.

• Like 4

Just now, stuie said:

Wasn't quoting just you mate, just noticed a fair few throwing the term "pathetic" around.

Yeah we did play well through the year, have the best unity between AFL and VFL we've ever had from my memory, had the best team all year, made the grand final, our AFL listed players were Casey's best players, I don't really see what the problem is to be honest. Sits fine with me. Sure a few other teams have standalone VFL sides, the Hawks don't though and they go ok. Not saying it will never happen, but I think for now it's working quite well. I might not have said that last year, but this year has been a successful one IMO.

Ok, felt like it was just at me.

The difference with the Hawks is they are the Box Hill Hawks, same jumpers, song & name.  If Casey changed their name to the Demons and used Grand old flag, maybe that would help with familiarizing with them.  Casey is now treating us really well, it just feels like they get more out of it than us still.  Casey Demons sounds heaps better than scorpions lol.

1 hour ago, AzzKikA said:

Been saying this for a LONG trime but is anybody out there??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clint Bizkit said:

What's that got to do with Casey?

In an ideal world we would have a reserves Melbourne team, but there are far greater priorities for the club to spend its time, money and resources on. Casey finished on top of the ladder and failed in a Grand Final, hardly worth getting too upset about.

If we were to be a stand alone, we would need a ground to play on & facilities as we would not be using Casey's anymore would we?  Better to put it all together than continue to be spread out all over the place like we are now. Ideally building a new one would be great, that's what I was getting at.

20 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

Why?  Whats the benefits except the fact they have a ground and new facilities?  What do we get out of aligning with a separate club.

It wasn't the Casey players who were the problem. It was our list cloggers who let the team down.

1 hour ago, AzzKikA said:

Agree with this totally. I was at the game and i didn't feel at all apart of it at all. Melbourne players in different jumpers. The Dogs supporters were there in numbers and the atmosphere was palpable for them. Sure they are also into the AFL GF so their excitement is understandable. 

How many more Doggies supporters would have been there  but were still in or on the way back from Sydney?

Time for the Melbourne Scorpions who play at Casey fields at the very least. 

Gutted at the pathetic third quarter lack of effort.

Bring on the delisting and 2017

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deevout said:

Agree with this totally. I was at the game and i didn't feel at all apart of it at all. Melbourne players in different jumpers. The Dogs supporters were there in numbers and the atmosphere was palpable for them. Sure they are also into the AFL GF so their excitement is understandable. 

How many more Doggies supporters would have been there  but were still in or on the way back from Sydney?

Time for the Melbourne Scorpions who play at Casey fields at the very least. 

Gutted at the pathetic third quarter lack of effort.

Bring on the delisting and 2017

Casey Demons, our jumper & song!

Edited by AzzKikA
  • Like 1