• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - MICHAEL HIBBERD

KC from Casey

5 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

If we use this years second rounder, that means we are out of the first and second rounds, which hurts our chances of picking a decent player that we may have had our eye on, who could be that Forward/Ruck type we have been after.

If we keep pick 29 I'd like to see us use it on a kid with a massive tank who can play on a wing (we still only have stretch). I'd suffer the ruck/fwd deficency for 2017 and then look to trade one in next year as we aim for the 2018 top 4. If we pick a kid fwd/ruck he might take 3-5 years to be AFL ready

32 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Hibberd is a very, very good player and he'll be a great pick up for us. For pick 29.

True.

But, our 2016 #26 was pushed out to #29 because of AFL allocated picks.  Not many FA's to command similar picks in 2017 or a pp, so if we are just inside the 8 our 2017 2nd rnd pick will still be around pick #29.  Just outside the 8 it is even better.

MFC have worked very hard to keep # 29 presumably for a reason (other than playing hardball) so I hope they don't give up now. 

EFC must trade Hibberd out as they do not have the salary cap and next year he will be out of contract so their bargaining power then goes down a bit.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Why? And cut off our nose despite our face? We actually want this player.

Essendon initially wanted more than a second rounder for Hibberd.

People seem now to be getting caught up in their (legitimate) hatred for Essendon and are losing sight of the fact that pick 29 for Hibberd is a fair deal.

Sure he's had a year out of the game, but, unlike O'Meara who's essentially had 2 years out, he's not been injured. O'Meara's commanding insane trade value.

Hibberd is a very, very good player and he'll be a great pick up for us. For pick 29.

I agree. In addition, the track record of the Melbourne recruiting team over past few years has been to just 'get the deal done'. It has worked. Just look at the other clubs out there arsing around & some haven't done anything at all?????

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nasher said:

If they feel like going through the rigmarole of court proceedings.  Far too late in the day for that now.

not necessarily court proceedings, nasher

first step is greivances tribunal which is fairly quick. if successful, essendon could theoretically go to court

I doiubt in current circumstances and for lots of reasons they would do that

However, the decision to go to grievances tribunal is up to hibberd and the indications are that he has not been so inclined (but who knows?)

Let's not forget, in our rush to get Hibberd and give Essendon this year's pick, that we still have to use draft picks this year.

We will still be taking at least a couple of kids out of this draft. Sure Taylor is a genius, but the further down the order we go the less chance we give ourselves of getting a genuine player for us. It's easy to think of it as just draft picks, but that draft pick will be a player we are required to sign and have take up a spot on our list.

So it's not just about if Hibberd is worth pick 29 this year, but also if we're going to get players worth a spot on our list with the picks we have left this year. This is why the deal is taking so long and Mahoney is pushing it so hard, it's more complicated than some are making out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

If they feel like going through the rigmarole of court proceedings.  Far too late in the day for that now.

Plus, Hibberd said he would happily go back to Essendon if a trade couldn't get done, so you'd think it wouldn't last long in court.

I have faith in the club ( these days )

there'll be a rationale to proceedings

41 minutes ago, Forest Demon said:

Isn't 2017 meant to be a stronger draft? Play the long game and use this years second rounder if that's the case.

may be stronger but not necessarily deeper. next year's 2nd round pick will be in the 30's (maybe well into?)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Axis of Bob said:

Also, not doing that deal has meant that they haven't been able to do other deals.

In the past we have done the deals quickly, allowing us to look at trade period as a whole. Essendon have sucked at trading because they have only looked at deals in isolation. Given our desire to do fair deals over last period, I'm happy to back our club's judgement on this at the moment.

Agree. I think the club was planning to secure another rd 2 pick that they might be able to use but the Lewis scenario came out of the blue. Loathe to use this year's pick now.

Will be interesting...

Connors on Trade Radio...

On Michael Hibberd:
We could "take it to the bank" that the Essendon defender would become a Demon. The deal was unlikely to include future draft picks but it would be "a bit more complicated" than simply a second-round selection.

"Essendon's been wonderful in their dealings, from (CEO) Xavier Campbell down to (list manager) Adrian (Dodoro)," Connors said.

"I think they've been keen to get this going. I've respected their position of really wanting a pick in this year's draft and there's a lot of goodwill between Melbourne and Essendon and I'd be surprised if that's not done very, very soon."
  • Like 1

Just now, Devil is in the Detail said:

Wondering whether that was the hold up. Us working out whether we could get back into the second round some other way.

Hold up would have been Dodoro and Dee's not budging on their prospective plays, until we finally folded.