How do we get Prestia AND Hibberd to the club?

watchtheeyes

So we’ve been linked to Prestia and Hibberd, and to get both would be a phenomenal outcome. However, we have no round 1 draft pick and both players have a legitimate claim to be worth that, with Prestia obviously being more so.

On the assumption we come away with #’s 27 & 45 and a few later, how do we get them to the club? Who do we have to part with and what would we get back, and then how do we package that to get the trade done? (For example, do the Suns have an academy player that they can get with an accumulation of points)?

Clearly the players that could be used are Grimes, Trengove, JKH, ANB, Dawes (maybe). Are there others?

It’s an interesting talking point, and I can’t pretend to have any idea how to play this one. Out list management team have done a great job over the last couple of years, but this one’s a doozy!

Interested in your thoughts..?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

i doubt we'll get either. 

We've apparently said that we can't afford Prestia's asking price, while Adelaide and the Dogs are leading the race for Hurley. I personally think Hurley will end up staying at Essendon.

Talking about Hibberd, who I think is virtually already a lock.

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Hibberd with pick 27 this year.

Prestia (if we actually want him) with next years first rounder and ANB.

Grimes is a free agent btw.

Don't mind this scenario Stuie. ANB is continually tearing it up in the VFL and seemingly can't get a game in the firsts. But, is he what GC are looking for?

8 minutes ago, watchtheeyes said:

So we’ve been linked to Prestia and Hibberd, and to get both would be a phenomenal outcome. However, we have no round 1 draft pick and both players have a legitimate claim to be worth that, with Prestia obviously being more so.

Whilst Hibberd is a good player I wouldn't think he's worth a round 1 pick.

If he comes to us the best we will do is a round 2 although EFC will want round 1 of course.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Django said:

Talking about Hibberd, who I think is virtually already a lock.

Don't mind this scenario Stuie. ANB is continually tearing it up in the VFL and seemingly can't get a game in the firsts. But, is he what GC are looking for?

I reckon GC could do with a bloke who's been working on his inside/clearance game but is also a pretty decent small forward. Would be handy around the feet of Lynch and Wright. That's just my opinion though.

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

Hibberd with pick 27 this year.

Prestia (if we actually want him) with next years first rounder and ANB.

Grimes is a free agent btw.

I'd say if ANB was to go anywhere it would be back to SA. Therefore, we may trade ANB to Port for their 2nd round pick which we can buddle up with next years 1st to GC for Prestia. I think our 2nd round pick should get the job done for Hibberd as frankly the Bombers just need to accept they [censored] up.

Doubt this will happen though! Our FD showed last trade period they are good at getting desired outcomes so I'm comfortable they will get another good results this year.

• Like 1

To get Prestia, I think we need to "exploit" the academy points thing (which I know SFA about, but obviously Mahoney does).  With the GC having a couple of players that they will pick up through their academy this year, could we couple of 2nd and 3rd round picks, and potentially a player (i.e. Grimes), in exchange for the 1st round pick we gave GC last year, which we then trade back for Prestia?

As I said, I don't know enough about the points system, but from my minimal understanding, GC need to offload early picks so that they don't use them on academy players.  Hope that makes sense, and I'm sure I will get some feedback about my above scenario - be gentle if it's not possible!

With regards to Hibberd, I think it could depend on getting a potential deal done with Prestia, then seeing what we have left.  I must admit, I far prefer the idea of him coming to us as a DFA.

There should be no reason why we will use ANB as trade bait.  2nd year player that Roos picked, developing lovely in the reserves, will only be better next year, he's the type of player that could bite us on the bum if we move on at the end of this year.  And further to that, he's the type of player that if he was at a different club, we'd be wanting to trade in to our team.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

I'd say if ANB was to go anywhere it would be back to SA. Therefore, we may trade ANB to Port for their 2nd round pick which we can buddle up with next years 1st to GC for Prestia. I think our 2nd round pick should get the job done for Hibberd as frankly the Bombers just need to accept they [censored] up.

Doubt this will happen though! Our FD showed last trade period they are good at getting desired outcomes so I'm comfortable they will get another good results this year.

Yeah not a bad call about the ANB trade, could be a way to do it. Exactly my thinking re:Bombers too, we offer them our second round pick and if that's not good enough then off we trot to the tribunal to get him for free.

• Like 2

Maybe we trade next year's first round pick to get a whole lot of picks this year that are worth more so that GC can use them this year. 

Wagner is from the Sunshine Coast and we potentially have Hibberd and a bunch of other players who can play off half back line. In the long term I have a feeling ANB will offer as much if not more but in the midfield. 

If Dons don't take our second rounder he should just go to the Tribunal and we get him for nothing.

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

My tip is i think Prestia is set for Richmond. They seem to be the front runners and willing to pay for his asking price.

Do we still target a O Meara Crouch or Steele?

O'Meara if his knee holds up over the last 6 games. He is the pick of that bunch by a mile. Would take him over Prestia in a heartbeat. But can't imagine his asking price would be any less than Prestia's. Would have thought he'd cost more to get the job done and cost more to pay. Crouch would be great. How would we get Steele. He's from NSW why would he leave.

if hibberd *wants* to come to us and is *determined* to leave essundone and we offer our 2nd round pick then the heat is on essundone. 2nd round pick is fair for hibberd. then if dodoro wants to play tough he risks forcing hibberd to the contracts arbitration tribunal to resolve standoff and if there is any other players wanting to leave he doesn't want to open that door

i reckon he will start off tough but then have to concede. we might chuck in some steak knives to make him feel better, but i think at the end of the day we have the upper hand

Just for a spanner, given our good trading relationship with GWS would we look at Tomlinson (to play as a key backman) and Hoskin-Elliot (outside mid) to go with Hibberd, rather than a superstar Prestia type? Would fill more gaps IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

if hibberd *wants* to come to us and is *determined* to leave essundone and we offer our 2nd round pick then the heat is on essundone. 2nd round pick is fair for hibberd. then if dodoro wants to play tough he risks forcing hibberd to the contracts arbitration tribunal to resolve standoff and if there is any other players wanting to leave he doesn't want to open that door

i reckon he will start off tough but then have to concede. we might chuck in some steak knives to make him feel better, but i think at the end of the day we have the upper hand

Yeh this is what doesn't make any sense to me. A pick in the 20s for a player who could potentially walk for nothing seems more than fair. It just seems like the bombers are bringing a knife to a gun fight if the want to play hard ball on this one.

Does anybody know why we are (apparently) planning on negotiating a trade in the first place?

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Just for a spanner, given our good trading relationship with GWS would we look at Tomlinson (to play as a key backman) and Hoskin-Elliot (outside mid) to go with Hibberd, rather than a superstar Prestia type? Would fill more gaps IMO.

I think Tomlinson is a bust 'stuie', a good athlete but has struggled to establish himself.

Apparently we weren't interested last year when Carlton and St Kilda were.

He's a bit of an in betweener, great fit for Carlton.

• Like 1

I think Hibberd is very likely to come to us, and 2nd rounder would get it done.  I don't think any of the Bummers players are going to become DFAs.

As for Prestia, I would have loved him a year or two ago but I think we have enough inside mids - he's a good player but I don't think we should be selling the farm to get him.  We need some outside class and poise.  Will be watching O'Meara's last 6 games with interest.  He would light us up if fit. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Juicebox said:

Yeh this is what doesn't make any sense to me. A pick in the 20s for a player who could potentially walk for nothing seems more than fair. It just seems like the bombers are bringing a knife to a gun fight if the want to play hard ball on this one.

Does anybody know why we are (apparently) planning on negotiating a trade in the first place?

as you say "apparently"

thing is it is not our choice. it is the player's choice and it would depend on his level of disenchantment with essundone now or during trade negotiations.

• Like 1

Remembering too in these trade scenarios that we still need to take three players/rookie upgrades in this year's draft.

Would Salem or similar be included in a package? 

We need outside run and carry. I like the idea of Hoskin Elliot.

Tomlinson has been getting big numbers in the NEAFL as a tall midfielder. Not that we'd potentially use him as such, but an indication nevertheless that he still has something to offer at AFL. The concept of 'project players' that fill a need would have rubbed off Roos onto Goodwin. Anyone know of his injury status/history?

Edited by Moonshadow

28 minutes ago, rjay said:

I think Tomlinson is a bust 'stuie', a good athlete but has struggled to establish himself.

Apparently we weren't interested last year when Carlton and St Kilda were.

He's a bit of an in betweener, great fit for Carlton.

Yeah that's why I wondered if he could turn out to be a "Roos type" I guess...

• Like 1

Prestia out this weekend with a knee injury.

Would have me very worried about trading for him with his constant knee issues. 

• Like 1

Hibberd is 26 years old so he has another 5 to 6 years left in his career.

He's a handy defender but doesn't set the world on fire. I'd spew if we blew a second round pick and a player for a bloke of his age.

Hawthorn and Geelong have been finding ways to acquire quality players from rival clubs at bargain prices for a long time and I don't think there's any great formula they have. It's basically "this is it, suck it up."

About time we took the same path.

• Like 3

Just now, Bring-Back-Powell said:

i doubt we'll get either. 

We've apparently said that we can't afford Prestia's asking price, while Adelaide and the Dogs are leading the race for Hurley. I personally think Hurley will end up staying at Essendon.

Of course you doubt it.  If the trade went through and he was running out for us in Round 1 you would still find some way to doubt it.

We will get one of these guys, but I doubt we get both unless we pull off some sort of miracle.  Another good mid in Prestia wouldn't hurt, but do the club believe in the younger players to take that next step?  

I'm more confident on Hibberd than Prestia.  There is also the albatross that is Tom McDonald - if he decides to leave it would free up some cap room to potentially sign a free agent or swing a deal or two.  Big off season ahead.