POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 11

Demonland

On Saturday, June 04, 2016 at 10:20 PM, AdamFarr said:

The Demonland group-think surrounding Omac's form is a little perplexing. The rhetoric continues to be that he looks 'way off it'. He's not winning every contest and he makes a few errors here and there, but so does Jesse Hogan. If you compare Omac's start to Frawley's start, you could plot a similar trajectory I'd reckon.

Playing Oscar in the 2s isn't going to speed up his development, it's going to slow it. I'm glad the FD seem to agree, as they continue to play him at the highest level.

Glad you and others are starting to see this! Good post!

• Like 1

Unbelievable that we didn't get a free kick from the Ceglar hit behind play, but Bernie got reported and gave away a free for that farcical love tap.

Pathetic umpiring and proof that Hawthorn are protected. I hope that awful Pannell dude takes his bald spot and [censored] off back to some local league never to be heard from again!

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 4

Just for the record the umpire that gave Stewart the free was Jordan Bannister not Pannell.

He tweeted his mia culpa and has now been rapped over the knuckles by the Umpire's Coach for the tweet! "We do make a fair few mistakes each week, so we don't want the (umpires) every time we make a mistake to tweet out that 'I apologise'.

Speechless!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Tyson scored a perfect 10 in the coaches votes. 

Deservedly so - He was excellent. 

Edited by Scythe

df68c452f2905742737d916ede598d6b

Interesting........from a jumper perspective !! :rolleyes: That little bit of Teal made all the difference apparently :huh:

• Like 4

I honestly believe if Jack Viney didn't have his little brain fade and was able to play we would have won that game, conditions like that the games best contested ball player would have been very handy! 

good lesson for the young man.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Abe said:

I honestly believe if Jack Viney didn't have his little brain fade and was able to play we would have won that game, conditions like that the games best contested ball player would have been very handy! 

good lesson for the young man.

his knuckle would have overridden any lack of brain fade.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2016 at 8:44 PM, sue said:

his knuckle would have overridden any lack of brain fade.

Good point, forgot about the Knuckle, point stands i think though that he would have been very handy in those conditions.

Dom Tyson is having a very good season

Coaches votes

Hawthorn v Melbourne
10 Dom Tyson (Melb)
8 Isaac Smith (Haw)
3 James Frawley (Haw)
3 Nathan Jones (Melb)
3 Bernie Vince (Melb)
2 Grant Birchall (Haw)
1 Ben Stratton (Haw) 

Edited by Petraccattack

1 minute ago, Petraccattack said:

Dom Tyson is having a very good season

Coaches votes

Hawthorn v Melbourne
10 Dom Tyson (Melb)
8 Isaac Smith (Haw)
3 James Frawley (Haw)
3 Nathan Jones (Melb)
3 Bernie Vince (Melb)
2 Grant Birchall (Haw)
1 Ben Stratton (Haw) 

Surprised Vince was so low. Thought he was super. 

I've now seen the first half of the game.  Thoughts thus far:

- We need another ruck option.  Not so much because Watts is a poor ruck as because the moment he went into the tuck we lost all momentum.  Watts was pivotal in us getting the first two goals of the game, including hurling himself into the bottom of a pack and dishing accurately from the ground while being piled on by multiple opponents (and who would have thought we'd be able to say THAT about Watts?).  When we moved him to the ruck our structure fell apart.  He needs to stay in his forward role, so someone else has to go into the ruck. 

- It wasn't so much the frees the Umpire paid as those they didn't that hurt.  It seems that the Hawks jumpers are made of Teflon.  [censored] doesn't stick to them, and the Umpires' RADAR can't see them.  I'm convinced that if they had paid even the most blatant of the frees they ignored we would have been well ahead by half time. 

- Oscar is improving.  He's not there, but I see signs that he'll get there. 

- We still overuse the handball.  Once again I'm seeing players ignore a clear kicking option only to handpass to a teammate under pressure who is then nailed in the tackle. 

- Likewise, we still can't kick to forwards.  I'm seeing far too many high bombs still.  Especially when we have space in the forward 50 as we often did in this game, we need to kick to the advantage of the forward rather than give the defence an easy spoil and take away. 

- The midfield looks great at the contest, but we do need to remember that the Hawks are one of the worst contested teams in the league.  It's not a good measuring stick. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Tyson scored a perfect 10 in the coaches votes. He seemed to be everywhere and played a well rounded game. Hopefully he takes this form into next week and beyond. 

Aside from the Port game, he's been really consistent. One of my favourites and well on the way to becoming an A grader. Just needs to string some games together without injury.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

And remember that there's someone chasing him. 

That was a poor error inside defensive 50, but he earned the goal back straight away. He needs more awareness at times, but that will come with more experience. Tyson has flown under the radar a bit this year, due to all our younger high draft picks. A ball magnet. Imagine for a moment a midfield of: Viney, Tyson, Prestia, Oliver. In two years, probably the best midfield in the league. Thank you very much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

- We need another ruck option.  Not so much because Watts is a poor ruck as because the moment he went into the tuck we lost all momentum.  Watts was pivotal in us getting the first two goals of the game, including hurling himself into the bottom of a pack and dishing accurately from the ground while being piled on by multiple opponents (and who would have thought we'd be able to say THAT about Watts?).  When we moved him to the ruck our structure fell apart.  He needs to stay in his forward role, so someone else has to go into the ruck. 

Maybe we need another forward option...we don't have a standout forward/ruck and having a run on the ball seems to do Jack some good.

As you say, we miss his presence up forward when he is on ball so how about we look at a forward who could add to the structure. Frost and Dawes aren't the answer, Pedders is hit or miss so maybe it's time to bring one of the kids in...