CASEY SCORPIONS v BOX HILL HAWKS

KC from Casey

I know it's a subjective hypothetical exercise, but for those who saw the game, do you think the Casey 2016 team (meaning personnel and game plan) would beat the Melbourne 2013 team (personnel and game plan). And it's just hypothetical, so I don't need anyone pointing out that players like Terlich, Grimes and Dawes would be playing in both teams. I'm just trying to get a feel for how far we have come in 3 years.

Just now, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I know it's a subjective hypothetical exercise, but for those who saw the game, do you think the Casey 2016 team (meaning personnel and game plan) would beat the Melbourne 2013 team (personnel and game plan). And it's just hypothetical, so I don't need anyone pointing out that players like Terlich, Grimes and Dawes would be playing in both teams. I'm just trying to get a feel for how far we have come in 3 years.

LDC I think they would give the 2013 team a serious work out as for players in both teams Dawes was probably injured so he is in the Casey side.

4 minutes ago, old dee said:

LDC I think they would give the 2013 team a serious work out as for players in both teams Dawes was probably injured so he is in the Casey side.

We really were frighteningly bad in 2013. It's such a pleasure to go to games now and, win or lose, at least know we belong in the AFL. 

44 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

We really were frighteningly bad in 2013. It's such a pleasure to go to games now and, win or lose, at least know we belong in the AFL. 

And almost every week you feel like you have a chance before they bounce the ball.

I went to many many games that the only thing in dispute was the size of the loss.

So many games you knew were over at the 20 minute mark of the first quarter.

7 minutes ago, old dee said:

And almost every week you feel like you have a chance before they bounce the ball.

I went to many many games that the only thing in dispute was the size of the loss.

So many games you knew were over at the 20 minute mark of the first quarter.

I know what you mean, but if we're being truthful, most of the games were over before they even started.

I read earlier in the thread that BH had the likes of Spangher, Whitecross, Litherland and other experienced hardened defenders - no surprise then I guess that Weideman and Hulett had quieter games but it would have been good for them to play against these types. 

And it makes the victory all the more significant given the manpower of the opposition.

• Like 1

On 21 May 2016 at 10:22 PM, Whispering_Jack said:

I've been going to Ajax games in the ammos for decades. I have never seen an egg and bacon roll at one of their home games. ?

WJ

May I recommend Fitzroy Amateurs who play at the old Fitzroy oval ( Edinburgh Gardens) and who offer rolls containing excellent pork sausages even for Ajax supporters!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Farmer said:

WJ

May I recommend Fitzroy Amateurs who play at the old Fitzroy oval ( Edinburgh Gardens) and who offer rolls containing excellent pork sausages even for Ajax supporters!

Yes, good call Farmer. They do a massive hamburger, and I think it's a kransky in a roll as well. Know the lady who runs the BBQ.

I go once a year to a Preso's lunch and they are so damned proud of their history there. 

4 hours ago, monoccular said:

I read earlier in the thread that BH had the likes of Spangher, Whitecross, Litherland and other experienced hardened defenders - no surprise then I guess that Weideman and Hulett had quieter games but it would have been good for them to play against these types. 

And it makes the victory all the more significant given the manpower of the opposition.

Also given Max King (when not rucking), Keilty (if not back), Dawes, Tim Smith (192cm marking forward), Hulett and Weideman are all playing in the same forward line it's quite remarkable it functions and also means there's not going to be all that much footy to go around. 

I'd love to know how they are making it work. They must be making full use of the 23rd man and extra bench spot that provides and the talls must be doing really well at putting on enough pressure.

6 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Also given Max King (when not rucking), Keilty (if not back), Dawes, Tim Smith (192cm marking forward), Hulett and Weideman are all playing in the same forward line it's quite remarkable it functions and also means there's not going to be all that much footy to go around. 

I'd love to know how they are making it work. They must be making full use of the 23rd man and extra bench spot that provides and the talls must be doing really well at putting on enough pressure.

In the games I've seen they aren't normally in the forward line at the same time.  Keilty has played mostly ruck or CHB.  On the weekend I noticed that Dawes, T. Smith and Hulett push up the ground a bit.  Weids stays deep as a real old school Full Forward.  

From watching live, there seems to be one or two smaller mids that rotate through HF or the pockets to support the talls.  They aren't running 6 tall forwards at the same time.

2 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Why no VFL player review this week on the MFC site?  Keen to see how Sam Frost went, I have faith he will be the answer at full back for us

Normally comes out Wednesday or Thursday, I always look forward to it. 

Hoping Frost can turn into a hard nosed defender. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2016 at 7:15 PM, Farmer said:

WJ

Hopefully with a large sign: 'Not Kosher Pork"

On 23 May 2016 at 7:15 PM, Farmer said:

WJ

I was there on Anzac Day when Fitzroy hosted Ajax - it was a sensational day but I gave the sausages a miss.

I'm into things a little more healthy ?

10 hours ago, DemonLad5 said:

those who were at the game, any chance Frost comes in this week?

Not for mine. It was his first full game for us as a defender, after suffering a back complaint the week before.

To get into the side you have to show a good solid block of form at Casey these days, still think he's an athlete first and footballer second.

3 hours ago, DemonLad5 said:

those who were at the game, any chance Frost comes in this week?

No way. Despite what others have said in other threads, OMac is a much better defensive option. Dunn was the emergency last week and also would come in before Frost.

There's been a lot said over time about the apparent lack of coordination between the Demons and their alignment partner at Casey but I'm sensing that's now a thing of the past.

This article from the VFL site talks about how the Scorpions were effective in reducing the Hawks' supply of uncontested possessions last week - Wynstan Stats Central Rd 7: Casey dismantles the Box

It goes on to say -

"Casey has made its living this season on being in the competition’s top two for contested possessions, hard-ball gets and clearances per game. However, it’s also attacking the opposition on the rare occasions it hasn’t won the ball in close, ranking no.1 for tackles per game.

On Saturday night, that manic pressure took away the time and space Box Hill loves to carve through defences with precision passing by foot, and duly rewarded the Scorpions with a win as well as plenty of respect."

This sounds very much like what the Demons are trying to do as well and it suggests that when players such as Chris Dawes, Jack Trengove etc and some of the younger brigade eventually do manage to break into the side, they should be able to fit in seamlessly.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

There's been a lot said over time about the apparent lack of coordination between the Demons and their alignment partner at Casey but I'm sensing that's now a thing of the past.

This article from the VFL site talks about how the Scorpions were effective in reducing the Hawks' supply of uncontested possessions last week - Wynstan Stats Central Rd 7: Casey dismantles the Box

It goes on to say -

"Casey has made its living this season on being in the competition’s top two for contested possessions, hard-ball gets and clearances per game. However, it’s also attacking the opposition on the rare occasions it hasn’t won the ball in close, ranking no.1 for tackles per game.

On Saturday night, that manic pressure took away the time and space Box Hill loves to carve through defences with precision passing by foot, and duly rewarded the Scorpions with a win as well as plenty of respect."

This sounds very much like what the Demons are trying to do as well and it suggests that when players such as Chris Dawes, Jack Trengove etc and some of the younger brigade eventually do manage to break into the side, they should be able to fit in seamlessly.

Good pick up WJ

18 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

"On Saturday night, that manic pressure took away the time and space Box Hill loves to carve through defences with precision passing by foot, and duly rewarded the Scorpions with a win as well as plenty of respect."

Against the Hawthorn Hawks too?

And for me, the downside of the VFL bye is that there will be no Half Time Catering Report.

I had to have some stir fry pork, vegies and noodles tonight (of course after copious game day beers), but its nothing like the famed E&B rolls at Casey, denigrators ignored.