2016 Contracts

rpfc

25 minutes ago, poita said:

It is simply astonishing that this club keeps handing out long term deals for guys ranked 15 - 35 on the list. 4 years for Melksham, 3 for Bugg, 3 for Garland, 4 for Lumumba, 3 for Michie.

We should rank everybody on the list for their long term strategic importance and hand out contracts in bands. If you are top 15 you can have 3+ years (rising to 5 for the top handful), 15-30 get two years and everybody else gets one year at a time.

Pretty sure Lumumba got 3 with an option that he's unlikely to fulfil. But for all of those guys I think the extra year (or years) were to attract them to the club. Even Garland as a free agent might've got 2 years somewhere else last year. The other factor I'd suggest is the longer term deals might be to front load more salaries to pay the full cap but effective have more space towards the end of the deals.

I wasn't happy with Lumumba or Garland getting 3 at their ages and thought 2 would've done it. Same for the Garlett extension he signed this year which I found staggering given he was already at the club. 

If it took longer deals to get Melksham and Bugg then even if I don't particularly rate them as players I'm not worried by it. I don't think many players can significantly lift their form due to being out of contract and not someone like Bugg who gives his all anyway.

I've heard Josh Mahoney talk about paying players based on their level of performance in a type of band structure. So even if the extra years don't suit that I hope we are on track with a sensible salary structure which really might be more important than worrying about having guys a year too long.

We've still got way more possible delistings this year than we can fill with worthy draft picks and that doesn't look to be changing any time soon.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Tyson extends through to end of 2019.

Sauce - MFC website

...and here is the updated table:

VEplUAAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

:cool: over the moon about Dom signing up. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, poita said:

It is simply astonishing that this club keeps handing out long term deals for guys ranked 15 - 35 on the list. 4 years for Melksham, 3 for Bugg, 3 for Garland, 4 for Lumumba, 3 for Michie.

We should rank everybody on the list for their long term strategic importance and hand out contracts in bands. If you are top 15 you can have 3+ years (rising to 5 for the top handful), 15-30 get two years and everybody else gets one year at a time.

I'm pretty sure there are two reasons for these contracts which are longer than would have been expected some years ago:

1. For players such as Garland, Terlich etc, obviously its to maintain depth, for Casey as much as for Melb. The development of young players at Casey needs mature bodies and leaders around them. Most VFL listed players, (with rare exceptions),  just don't stick around once they are past any chance of being drafted on an AFL list. More money in Suburban or Interstate competitions.

2. Free agency has changed the scenario. Clubs are worried that they are at a disadvantage if a player wants to leave when they are out of contract. With a contract, the club has more control, a player can't just walk out if he wants to leave, but the club can still try and trade him before the end of his contract, (with the players agreement). Before Free Agency, five or six years ago, lots of commentators were saying that clubs would no longer sign up players on contracts longer than 3 years. Now we are seeing many 5, 6 and even a 9 Yr contact.

7 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Besides Jesse, Salem and Weideman are the guys that I want signed up ASAP. No fear that Stretch or Vince will leave and I'm sure Frost will re-sign as well. Mahoney and co have done a good job.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, A F said:

Besides Jesse, Salem and Weideman are the guys that I want signed up ASAP. No fear that Stretch or Vince will leave and I'm sure Frost will re-sign as well. Mahoney and co have done a good job.

Your comment gives an interesting insight into the state of our list. 

I agree with your assessment of players we need to re-sign asap.  I would probably add Hulett and Vandenberg to the list of early, if not critical to re-sign.  This still leaves 10 OOC 2017 players that we are not so enthusiastic about.  Those players have a bit of work to do next year to ensure they stay are the ones that stay on the list.

As you say Mahoney and co have done a great job and with about 10 players with work to do there is some way to go before we can be satisfied that our list is bound for and will regularly compete for finals.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

On 9/28/2016 at 5:18 PM, Lucifer's Hero said:

VEplUAAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

All yours for the update LH

After this years signings of Hogan, the Macs, Tyson, Oliver, Watts and Viney next years aren't looking as vital; maybe Salem, Stretch, The Weid and Frost the priorities 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fndee said:

All yours for the update LH

After this years signings of Hogan, the Macs, Tyson, Oliver, Watts and Viney next years aren't looking as vital; maybe Salem, Stretch, The Weid and Frost the priorities 

With great pleasure, fndee!  Agree with your priorities.  Wagner or Smith might get an upgrade soon.

+5X3cd3FBJoAAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

Getting Jesse's signature is as good as landing the much talked about BIG FISH!! 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4

It's been mentioned on the Trade Whispers thread, but Cam Pederson looks set to be with the Dees in 2017! Probably not what Chris Dawes wanted to hear.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-04/melbourne-to-offer-cam-pedersen-a-new-deal

Edited by Demon Jack
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Are Newton and Max King confirmed delisted?

13 hours ago, Viscount Cardwell said:

Agree, I have not read anything yet about these two, can someone confirm ?

Oops!  Cannot find mfc announcement, so my bad.  Got ahead of things a bit.  Will fix above post.

By the way, Mahoney said today the club will be looking to sign up Salem and Weideman early next year :rolleyes: 

He also said Pedersen will be offered a 1 year contract soon, Dunn is looking elsewhere and Dawes' future depends on trades we make.

Edit: Post 59 fixed.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

With the word that Pedersen looks like getting a new contract that I would expect to be another 12 month one, it is interesting to look at the situation next year.

Of those coming out of contract it has already been flagged that Weideman and Salem will be being looked at to extend contracts early in the next season.

Next off the rank I would think are Stretch, Vandenberg, Frost, Hulett and Neal-Bullen. 

Vince will be a year older by then into his 33rd year and will be judged on his year's performance and what the future looks like. it could be that there are a number of players that go past him in the team.

Kennedy, Kennedy-Harris, Trengove and Pedersen(assuming he gets a 1 year extension) will all be year to year prospects and will be judged on their performance.

I do not expect Dunn to be there after this trade period and Spencer, who is UFA at the end of next season, may find he has not played many games and be looking for a new home.

To me it looks like the Footy department and list managers are doing their jobs well in keeping the list together.

Edit: Forgot Lumumba. How could I do that. I do not expect him to be at the club beyond the end of next season.

Edited by CHF

@rpfc Now that you are back, would you like to regain the updating of this thread. 

If you are still too busy, I'm happy to continue until you are have time. 

Cheers, LH

47 minutes ago, rpfc said:

LH - I don't mind. How pathetic is this - I actually felt guilty that I hadn't updated this thread for everyone...

LOL!  I felt a bit the same when I was overseas for a time early this year on how to keep the 'Membership' thread updated!  

If you like I can update this thread for the next few weeks till the end of trade period and then see how your time is.  I've always thought of it as 'rfpc's thread so it is yours whenever you want it back.

Updated to reflect Pedersen signing a one year contract

Also, updated draft picks to reflect impact of Brisbane's pp.

3Dw8NOssYb1ufPn0fOq+u90LbJVwo4+VcpUFRlTe

Thought it might be interesting to include the number of games each player has played...its a lot easier than searching thru the player list on the club website to get age and # of games!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Thought it might be interesting to include the number of games each player has played...its a lot easier than searching thru the player list on the club website to get age and # of games!

Shows how young and inexperienced we really are. 

Hoges listed twice LH? 

Edited by DemonWorshipper

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Shows how young and inexperienced we really are. 

Congrats on a great resource. Minor error re Vineys games played needs correction.

• Like 1