• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

If I were in charge

Well this is my first post and and I desperately need to vent after 51 years of supporting my beloved team. If I were in charge I would have censored every player after last weeks escape against the giants. Everyone started saying how good we are. On the official mfc website it was all we have turned the corner ; we are better; we are winners. Maybe just pull our heads in until we have strung together more than one bloody win.

After todays loss all that talk about improving doesnt seem to add up.

If i were in charge I would find us another decent option for our forward line. We need a star like Daniher not hogan who thinks noone else can fill his shoes. We all want him to be a star but we all saw how just simpy lazy he was today.

I love Watts because I know he tries but its sad that he can never play two really good games in a row.

Colin Garland just isnt a contender. Hes like Howe and plays a good game in six.

Lumumba, I love his attack but just once he needs to look around and not run everytime

like someones put a firecracker up his a@#$.

Pederson is not the second forward we need by a long shot and is really there to make up the numbers.

Poor Gawn had a shocker and I dont think kent has ever played so poorly.

Perhaps we (especially the club) should all just settle down and wait until we have won at least two games in a row before we all keep patting everyone on th back. I know as supporters its hard. we love our club. we crave and hope for improvemnet. But the players and coaches need to be honest and not get ahead of themselves or our ablity like we did after sneaking home against the giants by 2 points and gws poor kicking,

Thanks for listening.

• Like 14

51 years is 1965. Commiserations, Deever. You have earnt venting rights

Thanks mate

its nice that someone understands my pain,,,not a flag while I have breathed......ten wins plus will be a pass this year

The only thing i would try to fox is the player effort and desire. Weer have the talent and ability to compete. I have no idea why some weeks we stand like stunned mullets and don't tackle or chase or run hard to defend. 

Fix that and you'll fix us.

On 4/2/2016 at 6:12 PM, leave it to deever said:

If I were in charge I would have censored every player after last weeks escape against the giants. Everyone started saying how good we are. On the official mfc website it was all we have turned the corner ; we are better; we are winners. Maybe just pull our heads in until we have strung together more than one bloody win.

After Saturday, I would have censored every player again and let their footy do the talking next week v Roos.

Really irks me they can come out and say "we didn't give them enough respect"...that is not only an indictment on the players, but significantly the coaching group who didn't read the tea leaves in the lead up. 

It's all about mindset. The group needs to be up, week in, week out.

The club failed miserably and gave up and handed 4 points to Essendon on a platter. It makes me sick and will make me feel sick for the rest of the season. 

Our club had the most to lose out of all 9 fixtured games on the weekend. And by gosh did they deliver.

I'll add this (edit):

A professional sport they call it... Where players and supporters live and breathe this game 24/7....and coaches. How you can not get a team up and produce such a lacklustre start is a massive fail....really beyond me they couldn't get their mindset right for the bounce. They can say goodbye to their target of 40,000 with efforts like that where a massive contingent of Dees supporters went along to help drive a stake into the heart of Bombers fans. Instead the club drove it through all Dees fans.

Alot of good work in the off season was undone. The only way to recover quickly is win the next 3-4 games on end for mine with decent performances and consistent effort. 

• Like 1

If I was in charge:

- Sit the players down and make them watch the game at least twice, firstly with coaches pointing out examples of lack of effort and then leave the players to watch it alone (only the players that played, not the whole group)

- All players get a quiet talking to about what is expected, along the lines of the parents favourite, 'I'm not angry i'm just disappointed'. 
- Leaders get pulled aside and told that they need to get into the heads of the playing group and let them know how they all as a group let the club down. Leaders need to be told that their performances drive the standard and that they were not up to scratch.

- Put a tall back in the team to help out (Dunn or Frost).

- Leave the team mainly unchanged and allow the players to respond. I would only take out players who were injured or need a rest (Oliver and maybe Brayshaw).

- Make it clear that if the players do not respond or if their standard drops again then the axe swings and they are in for 2 weeks of VFL minimum. 

21 minutes ago, Chris said:

If I was in charge:

- Sit the players down and make them watch the game at least twice, firstly with coaches pointing out examples of lack of effort and then leave the players to watch it alone (only the players that played, not the whole group)

- All players get a quiet talking to about what is expected, along the lines of the parents favourite, 'I'm not angry i'm just disappointed'. 
- Leaders get pulled aside and told that they need to get into the heads of the playing group and let them know how they all as a group let the club down. Leaders need to be told that their performances drive the standard and that they were not up to scratch.

- Put a tall back in the team to help out (Dunn or Frost).

- Leave the team mainly unchanged and allow the players to respond. I would only take out players who were injured or need a rest (Oliver and maybe Brayshaw).

- Make it clear that if the players do not respond or if their standard drops again then the axe swings and they are in for 2 weeks of VFL minimum. 

That's cruel and unusual punishment possibly banned by the Geneva Convention. And if it's not, it should be.

• Like 3

If i were in charge the changes i'd make are...

Bring Lynden Dunn back in right away, we need his experience and leadership down back desperately.

Move Salem onto a Wing/half forward, he isn't a great defender and we really lack quality delivery inside 50

Move Hogan to CHF, his mobility is his strength so let him use it. 

Play one of Pedo/Frost/Dawes in the goal square with the simple role of either mark the ball, or bring it to ground and give Garlett/Kennedy/Kent a chance.

Move Vince back into the midfield for more of the time, yes we're building depth but he has just won the bluey and we saw last year, he can kick long goals and delivers the ball well inside 50, we need Watts, Vince and Salem delivering the ball inside, not bombing it long.

Bring in Billy Stretch, he is consistent with his effort, uses the ball well and has the pace and outside class the side desperately lacks, especially while trying to move the ball faster.

have a team rule that if a young player isn't 100% fit he doesn't play, Brayshaw was clearly underdone and is a class player, we need to make sure he's right to go so we don't overcook him, same with Petracca, Oliver, Weiderman

add good ball use, speed and decision making to the key aspects we're looking for in recruits for next year.

play on at every opportunity, the faster we get the ball into Hogan, Watts and Garlett the better we're going to score, only go to the top of the goal score if there is no other option, always prefer high % inside 50's

• Like 7

5,6968,029 postsGender:MaleLocation:QuahogInterests:Nudie mags

Posted 3 hours ago · Report post

Bring Lynden Dunn back in right away, we need his experience and leadership down back desperately.

Move Salem onto a Wing/half forward, he isn't a great defender and we really lack quality delivery inside 50

Play one of Pedo/Frost/Dawes in the goal square with the simple role of either mark the ball, or bring it to ground and give Garlett/Kennedy/Kent a chance.

I would love to see a game where garland gets to crumb off just one forward in the forward line

If I were in charge I would seriously consider a plan B alternative in case the Roos/Goodwin regime don't get much traction this season and check out some of the Hawrthorn assistants. Someone like Ratten and dare I say Bruce or Yze.

Edited by america de cali

On 02/04/2016 at 6:12 PM, leave it to deever said:

Well this is my first post and and I desperately need to vent after 51 years of supporting my beloved team. If I were in charge I would have censored every player after last weeks escape against the giants. Everyone started saying how good we are. On the official mfc website it was all we have turned the corner ; we are better; we are winners. Maybe just pull our heads in until we have strung together more than one bloody win.

If i were in charge I would find us another decent option for our forward line. We need a star like Daniher not hogan who thinks noone else can fill his shoes. We all want him to be a star but we all saw how just simpy lazy he was today.

I love Watts because I know he tries but its sad that he can never play two really good games in a row.

Colin Garland just isnt a contender. Hes like Howe and plays a good game in six.

Lumumba, I love his attack but just once he needs to look around and not run everytime

Pederson is not the second forward we need by a long shot and is really there to make up the numbers.

Perhaps we (especially the club) should all just settle down and wait until we have won at least two games in a row before we all keep patting everyone on th back. I know as supporters its hard. we love our club. we crave and hope for improvemnet. But the players and coaches need to be honest and not get ahead of themselves or our ablity like we did after sneaking home against the giants by 2 points and gws poor kicking,

Thanks for listening.

thanks for the simple but Great post. 

It doesn't take great pages of near literary genius to get straight to it.   You have just hit the nail right ontop.

6 hours ago, Peter Griffen said:

Move Vince back into the midfield for more of the time, yes we're building depth but he has just won the bluey and we saw last year, he can kick long goals and delivers the ball well inside 50, we need Watts, Vince and Salem delivering the ball inside, not bombing it long.

Bring in Billy Stretch, he is consistent with his effort, uses the ball well and has the pace and outside class the side desperately lacks, especially while trying to move the ball faster.

have a team rule that if a young player isn't 100% fit he doesn't play, Brayshaw was clearly underdone and is a class player, we need to make sure he's right to go so we don't overcook him, same with Petracca, Oliver, Weiderman

add good ball use, speed and decision making to the key aspects we're looking for in recruits for next year.

play on at every opportunity, the faster we get the ball into Hogan, Watts and Garlett the better we're going to score, only go to the top of the goal score if there is no other option, always prefer high % inside 50's

Agree with all this, mate. Good stuff. The main thing for me is work rate. We have to bring the work rate. If we do, this means we don't rely so heavily on Vince or Salem's disposal off half back. Our players showed during patches in Round 1 that if they work hard to get into space, they can make even Tom McDonald look like a beautiful kick and decision maker.

I also suspect that our other forwards are struggling to deal with the new forward press we've implemented this year. While we mean to constrict the opposition and cramp them for space, what we're inadvertently doing at the moment is cramping the space for our own forwards. Perhaps, it'll take a little longer to get used to this new game plan and find our own space (in particular Hogan). The best way to actually do this is through quick ball movement. Have Garlett at the feet of Hogan and the rest of the forwards leading back and forth between 30m out and high half forward. In a similar way to how things work in football/soccer, clever movement from attackers creates confusion in defences and opens space up for attacking players. This is what we need to focus on doing more of.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2016 at 11:09 PM, AdamFarr said:

Agree with all this, mate. Good stuff. The main thing for me is work rate. We have to bring the work rate. If we do, this means we don't rely so heavily on Vince or Salem's disposal off half back. Our players showed during patches in Round 1 that if they work hard to get into space, they can make even Tom McDonald look like a beautiful kick and decision maker.

I also suspect that our other forwards are struggling to deal with the new forward press we've implemented this year. While we mean to constrict the opposition and cramp them for space, what we're inadvertently doing at the moment is cramping the space for our own forwards. Perhaps, it'll take a little longer to get used to this new game plan and find our own space (in particular Hogan). The best way to actually do this is through quick ball movement. Have Garlett at the feet of Hogan and the rest of the forwards leading back and forth between 30m out and high half forward. In a similar way to how things work in football/soccer, clever movement from attackers creates confusion in defences and opens space up for attacking players. This is what we need to focus on doing more of.

That's the thing, the forwards crowd the forward line to try and create space, but if they do force a turnover there is no space for Hogan so we don't score easily from it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

That's the thing, the forwards crowd the forward line to try and create space, but if they do force a turnover there is no space for Hogan so we don't score easily from it.

Yep. So if Hogan is playing at CHF as you rightly suggest, he has to get on his bike and work hard back into the space that will be left inside forward 50. But he has to be clever about it. In effect, this will limit the sort of delivery we've been seeing to Jesse, where the ball is just sat on his head, as he stands stationary at the top of the square.

Further, I think the more the media and the FD lay into Hogan, the more he'll respond. Positively that is. I expect him to kick a bag this week.

Edited by AdamFarr

On 4/4/2016 at 11:33 PM, AdamFarr said:

Yep. So if Hogan is playing at CHF as you rightly suggest, he has to get on his bike and work hard back into the space that will be left inside forward 50. But he has to be clever about it. In effect, this will limit the sort of delivery we've been seeing to Jesse, where the ball is just sat on his head, as he stands stationary at the top of the square.

Further, I think the more the media and the FD lay into Hogan, the more he'll respond. Positively that is. I expect him to kick a bag this week.

The other thing to this is i think that's the position he'll play long term, Weiderman is far more of a deep forward player, he's not as mobile as Hogan but he's just as capable of taking a big contested mark, when he develops his body it will be like having a Pavlich&Hawkins combo 

Jesse just needs to get his hands on the ball a bit and get back to playing his role and not trying to do to much or thinking to much.

• Like 2

On 2 April 2016 at 6:12 PM, leave it to deever said:

Thanks for listening.

I, like you, started supporting in 1965. There are a few of us poor bastards around. Perhaps we could start a class action. 

How good did the supporters have it before us. We dream of one premiership yet they saw three to ten. Years ago when I lived in elsternwick I would drive past a famous brothel that every september would put up a sign out the front advertising a football fantasy week. Im not sure what that entailed but I was often tempted to go in and talk to one of the ladies about mine. I could see myself just describing a grand final replay where melbourne won by 100 points. Robbie flower was captain. Neitz kicked 10. Grinter took out 4 players. Green kicked 5. Jones and viney senior worked tirelessly. Peter moor had a day out. Earl spalding defended beautifully. Stve smith took a speccy. The umpires were fair. Even carl ditterich was these. Ahhhhhhhhhh that felt soooo good.

20 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

How good did the supporters have it before us. We dream of one premiership yet they saw three to ten. Years ago when I lived in elsternwick I would drive past a famous brothel that every september would put up a sign out the front advertising a football fantasy week. Im not sure what that entailed but I was often tempted to go in and talk to one of the ladies about mine. I could see myself just describing a grand final replay where melbourne won by 100 points. Robbie flower was captain. Neitz kicked 10. Grinter took out 4 players. Green kicked 5. Jones and viney senior worked tirelessly. Peter moor had a day out. Earl spalding defended beautifully. Stve smith took a speccy. The umpires were fair. Even carl ditterich was these. Ahhhhhhhhhh that felt soooo good.

We had it good. I managed to see four flags and one losing grand final before I was 21.

In many ways it has made the 51 years since incredibly hard. I had what I thought were realistic expectations of success continuing. Especially after the first eight rounds of 1965. 

And then Norm was sacked...