• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post match Discussion "Fire away"

What

Just now, Je Roos Salem said:

Garland saying how much he loves the club is all good but his form has taken a huge dip in the past year and a bit

At least twice he tried to out mark one of the best contested marks in the game. But he had very little help to be fair.

What is beginning to annoy me is that if we take the Bulldogs as an example they appeared to get their act together in such a short amount of time. With Melbourne and our teams over the last 10 years or so it appears to be such hard work to get an ounce of good play out of us. We as supporters get excited when we see a quarter of good play which is no longer good enough. It was great to come back last week but let's be real last weeks game was pretty ordinary too. I just feel like so much effort has gone into making this a better team yet there is no reward. Whereas you can see almost instant improvement in the Bulldogs and Geelong have recruited well to get themselves back up there after a year out of finals. I just can't believe a football club can be this low, this bad and have the same culture after all the changes that have been made over the last 10 years! I am trying to take the view that this was one off day for the year and this will be our lowest point, however in the back of my head I know that this will just be another ho hum season with a handful of wins.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, AdamFarr said:

I don't particularly want to open up this can of worms, but I will. I wonder whether things would be different had Roos come for the long haul. Had he been entirely invested in bringing back the Demon like he did the bloods. There's no doubt he's done wonders for the culture at the club, but this soft-bellied performance today certainly sets back quite a bit of the hard work done over the last 12 months. Can Goodwin bring a new spirit to this club?

He originally signed for 2 years with an option of 3.Wasn't long and the call came for a commitment to the 3.He obliged and the Melbourne faithfull were happy.

I think he has brought a lot to the club,but think his time is up He has been great for the club,a father figure if you like,but .we have a great coach in waiting and its time now to let him put his own stamp on the team.

1 hour ago, Forest Demon said:

I said similar about Salem in another thread. He is a tidy player and he definitely isn't soft, but he just leaves we wanting so much more. He should be getting 20+ touches a week and bossing games from half back.

Maybe it's time to insinuate him into the midfield?

1 hour ago, DavidNeitz9 said:

What's happened to Doms disposal, he was a gun 2 years ago, going backwards

I think it's all about confidence. Two years ago he was a confident player, who would regularly rack up 25+ possessions. Hopefully he got a little bit out of getting his hands on it today, but he's certainly a shadow of the player he was two years ago. We need to keep backing him though. He offered a lot more than half the team.

1 hour ago, ProDee said:

Did Bernie forget to mention Sorrento at 3/4 time ?

Okay, I'll bite. What the hell are you talking about, PD?

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

We need him. But almost no chance we get him. The suns did these guys by 10 goals in a canter and if he doesn't like it there he'll go to Hawthorn or someone else decent.

We know our midfield isn't quick and doesn't run hard enough. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to fix it. Viney, Brayshaw, Tyson, Oliver, Petracca, Trengove aren't just going to get fit and fast overnight. 

Let's wait and see what happens for the rest of the season. I'm not saying this performance of ours will be forgotten, but winning 10-12 games (which I still expect us to do) will go some way towards attracting talent like Prestia.

1 hour ago, juzzk1d said:

Garland offers nothing. Absolutely nothing.

What I couldn't work out is why we were playing McDonald as the rebounding defender and leaving Garland to take pieface. Why didn't they make that switch a lot earlier? Let Garland play a bit looses, as he does anyway, and use him to rebound. He does have the capacity, but hasn't done it since 2013.

• Like 2

Why is Roos saying our players are tired? It's round FUCKEN 2 and one of the players he said is tired just had a month off with an injury And it was his first game ffs. Poor excuse so early in the season however it is one he has used before 

I'm no game plan expert but praha is on the right track - we lost because of gamestyle.

Contested footy was about break even but they absolutely smashed us on the outside.  We were lucky 13 points wasn't 13 goals.  When we win the contest we handball inside or kick blindly to an outnumbered contest.  All credit to Worsfold and Essendon, when they won the contest they swarmed on the outside from behind it with aggressive handball to get free and then kicked to open players who exploited our "zone" mercilessly between the arcs.  Essendon's handball and kicking skills were very ambitious and very good.  We were static, failed to honour free players in tight space and repeatedly kicked to a contest.

Roos has improved confidence and culture over Neeld's neanderthal man management but fundamentally we still play the same dinosaur footy.

When you're getting smashed in uncontested by 50 at half-time against a side that we should have better personnel than - how about going man-on-man for an extended period?  I admit this is not a long term gameplan solution but it could have stemmed the haemorrhaging today.  We continued on the same path to destruction all day.

GWS was clearly the better side last week and it was their lack of conversion that kept us in it.  If Cameron played we would have been pantsed.   I was happy to win ugly but the signs of today's outcome were all there in hindsight.  It was just whether the Bombers could exploit them and again but for some poor finishing by Daniher they definitely did.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, DemonDan83 said:

What is beginning to annoy me is that if we take the Bulldogs as an example they appeared to get their act together in such a short amount of time. With Melbourne and our teams over the last 10 years or so it appears to be such hard work to get an ounce of good play out of us. We as supporters get excited when we see a quarter of good play which is no longer good enough. It was great to come back last week but let's be real last weeks game was pretty ordinary too. I just feel like so much effort has gone into making this a better team yet there is no reward. Whereas you can see almost instant improvement in the Bulldogs and Geelong have recruited well to get themselves back up there after a year out of finals. I just can't believe a football club can be this low, this bad and have the same culture after all the changes that have been made over the last 10 years! I am trying to take the view that this was one off day for the year and this will be our lowest point, however in the back of my head I know that this will just be another ho hum season with a handful of wins.

It's not just the Bulldogs though, while Melbourne seem to make rebuilds be the hardest thing on earth... it's not actually that hard.

Port where at the bottom for a couple of years then shot up, Bulldogs as you mentioned were at the bottom and have shot up, both Brisbane and St Kilda have hit the bottom and in a rebuild but they remain competitive and cause a number of upsets each year.

Its just Melbourne that make a big song and dance over every little feat. Oh hey look we won the first game of the year, wow! Oh hey lets get two wins a row, wow! Jesus, I cant imagine what its going to be like when they aim for 3 wins a row, they'll probably get on a bender thinking they just wont back to back to back flags!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, boydie said:

It's not just the Bulldogs though, while Melbourne seem to make rebuilds be the hardest thing on earth... it's not actually that hard.

Port where at the bottom for a couple of years then shot up, Bulldogs as you mentioned were at the bottom and have shot up, both Brisbane and St Kilda have hit the bottom and in a rebuild but they remain competitive and cause a number of upsets each year.

Its just Melbourne that make a big song and dance over every little feat. Oh hey look we won the first game of the year, wow! Oh hey lets get two wins a row, wow! Jesus, I cant imagine what its going to be like when they aim for 3 wins a row, they'll probably get on a bender thinking they just wont back to back to back flags!

Yeah that's another point how we make such a big deal of winning two games in a row. I mean that should just be expected now! No talk about it, just play footy!! It seems we cotton wool our players and make these stupid milestones. Someone has to take a hard line at some point!

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

I do think match day Goodwin is a better coach and the team would get more benefit from a setup like the NAB cup, Roos overseeing rather then calling the shots

regardless of who is a better coach what is the point of continuing with Roos as game day coach, we should be getting a head start on the way we are going to play under Goodwin for the next 5 years, Roos has been great for us in all other areas but its obvious we won't be making any major improvements on field. Surely Goodwin will be a better coach next year by gaining experience as game day coach, isn't that why he took the reins in the Nab challenge

I still don't know why people think Goodwin would have done much different, he would have been in the box with Roos giving him ideas etc... they are a coaching group. The game was lost on the field not in the box. McDonald's first kick across ground cost us a goal, his play on after a mark after taking a mark near the forward 50 and getting tackled, his tapping the ball over the line in the defensive 50, his inability to make contact with Daniher in marking contests. And that was just him, add to that Jettas free in the goal square when the essendon player was trying to shepherd the ball through for a point, Matt jones kick intercepted from the backline that resulted in another goal, Hogan not competing, Watts disappearing, Kent not even turning up, etc. etc. etc. so why are people blaming the coaches, those actions and many other done and not done by the players are what cost us the game.... You can be the best coach in the universe if your players cannot tackle, chase or deliver the ball with greater than 70% accuracy you will get towelled up. We lost that game rather than essendon winning it.

• Like 2

Nick Reiwoldt's 300th game and the bulldogs are not lying down! We would have known Essendon were going to come out pumped today and we couldn't cope with it! Good teams don't take that stuff on and just go out and play footy.

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Disagree. While the players were pathetic today, as were the umpires, so we're our coaches.

they had a loose man on each wing at every centre bounce and then played through them all day. These guys then ran without an opponent and were the link men setting up their thrusts the whole day.

Why the hell weren't they manned up? I would love an MFC coach to tell me. That and a poor player effort cost us the game.

BTW, I think we have problem with the $10million Man. He does not do any 1%'s at all. His body language is a disgrace. Yes he is talented,  but he needs effort as well as talent. Too many on here hero worship him and I think he knows it.

He's been treated like a superstar since the moment he played game 1. I think our club pandering to his every need is a good and bad thing. Obviously, no one player makes the club, but at the same time, he is a player you can build a club around. That probably sounds paradoxical. However, his second efforts are pretty much non existent. I wonder if the coaches are scared to bring him into line? That may sound ridiculous, but the way the club panders to Jesse, it wouldn't entirely surprise me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, olisik said:

Settle down guys, the guys are just tired. Being round 2 and not having to travel yet and all.

They were also wearing the white guernsey, you know we were setup to lose as soon as we had to wear white.

Just now, olisik said:

Settle down guys, the guys are just tired. Being round 2 and not having to travel yet and all.

Yes this gave me great confidence when Roos said that as well as when he said he couldn't tell during the week which guys were tired... I mean did he watch them at training or anything? Talk to them? 

36 minutes ago, Forest Demon said:

You won't get much support for that opinion, but I know where you are coming from. I don't think he was "one of the few good players", but I did appreciate his efforts to give some run off half back, considering we severely lacked run all over the park today. But despite that, he was still poor and turned the ball over consistently.

I agree with Garbo. Lumumba was one of the triers today along with N Jones and Kennedy, perhaps Vince. The rest can go and get $tuffed.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Deecisive said:

I still don't know why people think Goodwin would have done much different, he would have been in the box with Roos giving him ideas etc... they are a coaching group. The game was lost on the field not in the box. McDonald's first kick across ground cost us a goal, his play on after a mark after taking a mark near the forward 50 and getting tackled, his tapping the ball over the line in the defensive 50, his inability to make contact with Daniher in marking contests. And that was just him, add to that Jettas free in the goal square when the essendon player was trying to shepherd the ball through for a point, Matt jones kick intercepted from the backline that resulted in another goal, Hogan not competing, Watts disappearing, Kent not even turning up, etc. etc. etc. so why are people blaming the coaches, those actions and many other done and not done by the players are what cost us the game.... You can be the best coach in the universe if your players cannot tackle, chase or deliver the ball with greater than 70% accuracy you will get towelled up. We lost that game rather than essendon winning it.

Because in times past,coaches would have dragged players off and abused them.

Don't know if Goody would do that,but Roo's seems all to forgiving.

28 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

Garland was woeful today. Absolutely woeful. And when did we become so treacle slow.

He's been woeful for years

• Like 2

If I was Roos or Goodwin, I will tell all the tall forwards to stay at least 30 meters away from Jesse Hogan in the forward line. Any tall that goes near him gets fined 10% of their match fee for every infraction.  That will ensure that all the talls stay a reasonable distance out and offer other options to players down field so that we have other options than just bombing it to a pack near the goals. if the opposition wants to crowd Hogan then that will leave other talls available.  I would also put fines on Jesse for every time he stops and protests with the umpires about frees instead of chasing the ball or his opponent.  I would make his fines around 2% of his match fee, because it will take him a lot longer to change his bad habits of being a bit of a prima donna.