The Kalani White Thread

olisik

Two things to consider:

1. Not equivalence, but his dad had no problem shifting alegences from Freo to Melbourne. My guess is Kalani will go with which ever option he feels most comfortable with, not so much to follow in his father's footsteps.

2. The club he chooses can also look forward to his younger twin brothers, should they display talent over the next 4-5 years. It's a close family

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, Demon 16 said:

Mightn’t make it at all unfortunately.

Im also hearing that he’s far more likely to pick Melbourne if he was to make it which is positive.

Bottom age tall already playing at the champs while not draftable until next year, a further 18 months of growth and development away? Who is telling you this?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Left Foot Snap said:

Bottom age tall already playing at the champs while not draftable until next year, a further 18 months of growth and development away? Who is telling you this?

I hope he’s a good player as much as anyone! Especially as a tall defender which we need with May at his age.

Ive read it a few times now around the forums (Bigfooty draft board has been fairly consistent with reviews on him being fortunate to have made the state rep squad) but my best information comes from a friend who works in the under 18 and grammar system down here in Melbourne.

Ive got my fingers crossed and we’ll definitely know by this time next year, but I’m just not holding my breath.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Demon 16 said:

I hope he’s a good player as much as anyone! Especially as a tall defender which we need with May at his age.

Ive read it a few times now around the forums (Bigfooty draft board has been fairly consistent with reviews on him being fortunate to have made the state rep squad) but my best information comes from a friend who works in the under 18 and grammar system down here in Melbourne.

Ive got my fingers crossed and we’ll definitely know by this time next year, but I’m just not holding my breath.

A lot can happen in 12 months, especially for a big kid at this age. Hopefully he can come through. 

• Like 1

I'm more than happy for Kalani to travel under the radar for the next 18 months. The last thing we need is for him to be a no. 1 pick contender. If we can get a quality prospect with a later pick and develop him internally, that sounds perfect. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

He’s an underage key tall playing a year above. Wouldn’t be worried about him making it until he plays the U18 carnival next year in his own age group.

Agree. He's been back playing for Broadbeach Colts in the QAFL last few weeks. Not dominating but let's wait for next season. Has the ability and just needs to fill out a bit and anything could happen

1 hour ago, poita said:

I'm more than happy for Kalani to travel under the radar for the next 18 months. The last thing we need is for him to be a no. 1 pick contender. If we can get a quality prospect with a later pick and develop him internally, that sounds perfect. 

You just know if he is, the media scrutiny around how unfair it is to have a F/S go pick no 1 will push the AFL to make a knee-jerk reaction that prevents F/S taken in First Round, then to repeal it in the following year citing knee jerk reaction, which will be just in time for son of Didak or some other Collingwood hero to get snapped up by them using F/S following a bid using Pick 2 in the draft...ok ill stop now. its game day and MFCSS is skyrocketing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wish the kid all the best.  If we can get a promising young tall who can play multiple positions that wants to be at the club - I don't see much downside to that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Demon 16 said:

Never a great idea to hold one's breath for a year 🤬🥶

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 2

I would be going hard at the AFL to exempt Father Sons from the NGA and quoting the front page article by Sam Landsberger in the Herald/Sun, where he argues that we are the most dudded side in the AFL, when it comes to AFL Rule changes affecting our drafting.

If that is passed, Kalani can elect to come to us, or go in the draft.

Edited by Redleg

3 minutes ago, Redleg said:

we are the most dudded side in the AFL, when it comes to AFL Rule changes affecting our drafting.

there. corrected.

• Like 1

He said both clubs had been good to him (Melb and GC) and it was basically up to Kalani to decide. Kalani has apparently  switched to forward, after playing defence. He mentioned that the draft for Southern states re academies needed to be fairer to Vic clubs (mentioned that re the no access to top 40 pics for academies - paraphrasing there).  No real indication one way or the other where Kalani will choose.

Edited by Melbournepotter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1