Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Friday 12th February, 2016

Satyriconhome

17 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Does he look to have put on any bulk?

Hard to say.  I'm not spending much time watching him.  The rehab group is pretty boring. 

And he's so tall that he still looks rakish with his body type.  But I'm sure the kilos are going on. 

• Like 1

I saw all of the match sim - but missed the build-up stuff, but concur with most of what has been said and Terlich was probably BOG - Apart from twice intercepting errant Viney kicks, I think he was involved in almost every early goal for the no-bib side - which included the defensive A team. Grimes may have almost shaded him late in the day for BOG, although I'd reckon Viney was the most prolific - most turnovers too.

The green bibs side had basically our forward set-up for Port Adelaide game - subject to no injuries. This was Hogan, Frost, Watts, Kent and Garlett. Only 5 because the sixth played up the ground.

For those wondering if Hoges being Hoges meant he was starring, then I'm afraid he was having a day like against Carlton last year. In fact he even had to drift back to defence to get a kick or two after a quiet first but pitted against T-Mac or Dunny.

The run and dash from Terls, Hunt and Wagner down back meant our B defense team looked pretty slick.

The baulk Weeds did on Oscar was pretty nice and shows he knows what he'd doing. Hulet was very prominent and got on the end of a lot of breaknet speed breaks  but in my view there was nothing mega special that stood out - he looks to me a very solid citizen though.

Salem was good until rested, Watts laid a really strong tackle at one stage and showed he is over his quad setback. Kent led up ground like a full-forward and agree he might be a real livewire for us. 

One the down side I actually thought both Col and Oscar were very tentative and out of synch with the more-attack minded style Goody is trying to  implement.

On the positive side, the tackling and more so the ability to stick tackles was the best I have ever seen. This was a practice session and yet almost everyone of our midfielders laid at least a couple of strong tackles - Stretch and Viney laid about 10 each.

• Like 12

I went along today as well and left after the match sim.

Most of it's been covered but I'll toss in a few observations.

Really liked the look of the Weed. When he puts on some size he'll waltz straight into the team.

Mitch King played a little in the match sim but was on and off a bit. Good kick for a big (skinny) lad and moves well. Like the Weed, he'll be an asset down the track.

IMO Max King has put on more kgs (whoever was asking). 

I thought Salem was very quiet and was going to say he looked underdone but it sounds like a (hopefully minor) knee issue.

Smith has a few tricks but looked pretty lost out there. He was getting plenty of coaching throughout, mostly telling him where he should be. Played on the half backline.

Grimes was in the midfield (it looked like he was last week to). Seemed to be lead to the ball to me. Makes me think a tagging role might be on the cards. 

I though Van Demon was outstanding. Perhaps not as prolific as some, but every move, kick etc was spot on. Always took the right option, was creative and executed well.

Ben Ken used his speed well. Was a little Kent-like on the end of a slingshot - slotted a couple.

Viv was OK with sharp disposal and Wagner looked the goods too with his disposal but lost his opponent once or twice.

Viney and Tyson  great too.

I watched one of the drills where the backs and forwards were jostling for position with the ball coming in from the 50m. Dunn murdered Garlett. Mind you Dunn would've been pinged for holding more than once. Hogan murdered everyone. It was interesting to watch as most players were pretty intense and on the whole, impressive. 

• Like 11

I forgot to mention most of the midfield.

Nat Jones was his usual reliable self until instructed by Goody and switch the play which required a long kick - about 70m to Salem. He balls up kick massively and you could tell he was a little [censored]. A little later when Ben K was requiring a long kick down the line and Jones turned inboard and was caught in a tackle by Frosty, BK gobbed the skipper. Jones replied, what do you want, you were 80m away. I can't kick that f'n far.

VB looked dangerous and has great speed. His kicking still lets him down a bit but gees I wouldn't want to play on him. He manned Dom Tyson and I've got to say that Dom did a great job and a couple of his passes were lace up to forwards on the move. With Vince out, Dom will play in the middle with Viney and Jonesy against Port.  Vanders will be next one in the middle and probably Neal-Bullen the next after that.

Brayshaw was again forced to bide his time on the wing/high half forward. Him and Stretch had a great duel.

Michie was good also but like Angus had to do his time on a wing. Matt Jones provided a lot of dash from his wing.

The only other comment is that Gawn looked like a Brownlow Medallist to me - even the trainee ump gave him a couple of frees that he barely deserved. I don't know what his odds are, but I reckon a lazy 10 on big Maxy is a very good speculative Brownlow bet. 

• Like 9

I was there for about an hour and a half from 10.30ish and the match sim was under way.

Just some observations and a spoiler alert, I can get pretty excited at this time of year, so maybe the hard-boiled cynics should look away. For me, lifes too short to be pessimistic. 

The coaches seem to want the players to take it on and use the corridor more, I think we may see the team play some really exciting footy at times. There were some ugly turn-overs at times but there didn't seem to be any chastising for mistakes and we were much more effective near goal.

Max Gawn was clearly B.O.G for mine. He completely dominated Spencer and before anyone says "so what" Spenser is a big, competitive unit but Max was just too strong and his use of the ball at tap-outs was superb. Just to emphasise the point, last year Max wasn't quite as fit and was not our first choice ruckman, definitely behind Jamar and probably equal with Spense. This year he is the man, he knows he's the man and he looks like he's capable of delivering. His taps and the way he combines with Viney especially will give us first use of the ball in over half our games, a big advantage. We can't help but have a better midfield as a result. I think he's potentially our most important player and if he stays on the park I predict All Australian.

Viney was great. He looks super fit, is totally committed and should definitely improve on last year. He can still butcher it by foot and is much better by hand, I would prefer he handballs as much as he kicks, maybe even more.

Frost looked good down forward. Kent took a mark on the 50 near the boundary and spotted Frost way over the far side and nailed the pass to Frost who took the ball very high. Later he roved a ball in the pocket and kicked it to a player which ended in a goal. At one stage he cordoned off Jones (chunk) who was trying to get it down the line but rather than just keep Jones honest Frost hunted in on him, caught him and won the free. He looks hard to match up on, he ran and ran and although raw and a bit dodgy by foot he is probably the second tall in the forward line, with Watts third. Our forward line looks O.k. with Hoges, Garlett, Kent, Frost, Watts probably first five in and big Max coming down at times as well.

Lastly I was impressed by Wagner. He is tall and a natural defender, he got a bit of it and tackled and punched well at times. He is someone to watch at Casey for the first half of the year and will probably be a chance of a game in the back half of the season. 

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

I saw all of the match sim - but missed the build-up stuff, but concur with most of what has been said and Terlich was probably BOG - Apart from twice intercepting errant Viney kicks, I think he was involved in almost every early goal for the no-bib side - which included the defensive A team. Grimes may have almost shaded him late in the day for BOG, although I'd reckon Viney was the most prolific - most turnovers too.

The green bibs side had basically our forward set-up for Port Adelaide game - subject to no injuries. This was Hogan, Frost, Watts, Kent and Garlett. Only 5 because the sixth played up the ground.

For those wondering if Hoges being Hoges meant he was starring, then I'm afraid he was having a day like against Carlton last year. In fact he even had to drift back to defence to get a kick or two after a quiet first but pitted against T-Mac or Dunny.

I didn't expand on Hogan for the simple reason I've never seen him dominate a match sim session.  He was OK, moved well and kicked a couple.  He did what he usually does in this format, hence the comment "Hogan was Hogan".  That said, I disagree with your comparison to the Carlton game.

Also, Viney was fantastic.  Any inside mid that is competing in the coal face will have turnovers in congestion, which is why the best players in the comp have the highest "clanger" clounts.

But watching footy is subjective and we clearly won't always agree. 

Edited by ProDee

2 hours ago, mo64 said:

You have to remember that preseason match sim doesn't involve 18 on 18. You have more space, and can get away with a slightly errant disposal, that you won't get away with during the season proper. Good luck to Terlich and Jones, but can't see either of them getting a senior game unless we have a massive injury list.

I think both have been poorly treated. Both have at least been able to get the ball whereas we have played a number who cant get it at all

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DemonOX said:

When I keep hearing this from the training reports it continues to worry me. Its only match sim and the pressure is a lot less than in a real game which makes it worse IMO.

Thanks for the reports guys, greatly appreciated.

While I agree that it is extremely frustrating I think it is part of the natural progression of a young and developing team. I personally would much rather they concede goals by actually trying something, making the odd mistake and learning from it than playing like they did against Carlton, Essendon and even Brisbane last year. 'Learning from it' being the operative part here.

The issue will be if they have the confidence to keep at it- after a long period where a few mistakes led to them shutting up shop for the day, hopefully the way in which the team won some of their games last year will help to instill a sense of belief in the game plan and each other. 

And although it is only match sim and the pressure is clearly not the same, it is still a step up from the 9 vs 7 and other whole ground drills with only 'implied' pressure that they have done so much of in the last couple of years. There is a bit more space on the outside if you can get it there, but the pressure around the ball is real (guys like Viney, Jones, Brayshaw, Bugg and even Michie make sure of that) and the fact that they are playing shorter quarters with no subs and no proper stoppages keeps them moving, as well as thinking about where they need to be and what they need to be doing.

Don't worry, I'm as pessimistic as they come, but I see the groundwork being laid ala Hawthorn circa '05-'07. I'm not predicting we'll win 4 flags in a row or anything, but it would be nice to jag one before the decade is out.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Demon_spurs said:

Can I ask about Pederson, with Dawes again going down with the Mad Calf disease, can Pedo fill the void, did he show something today?

Pedo was Pedo. He played as main tall on B team (CHF) and did nothing wrong and finished off a fastbreak chain at least once that i recall.

But he didn't do anything special and significantly Frost and Watts were chosen in the A forwards set-up before him.

He remains a very useful back-up player. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Pedo was Pedo. He played as main tall on B team (CHF) and did nothing wrong and finished off a fastbreak chain at least once that i recall.

But he didn't do anything special and significantly Frost and Watts were chosen in the A forwards set-up before him.

He remains a very useful back-up player. 

So you're saying NO he can't (fair enough), I can't imagine Watts playing CHF and crashing packs, and I see Frost as a running tall HF flanker or HB High forward ( I know that's a contradiction...but I think you know what I mean). So there is a bit of a void there, the need for someone to create the crumbs for Garlett and co, and create the room for Hogan

16 minutes ago, Demon_spurs said:

So you're saying NO he can't (fair enough), I can't imagine Watts playing CHF and crashing packs, and I see Frost as a running tall HF flanker or HB High forward ( I know that's a contradiction...but I think you know what I mean). So there is a bit of a void there, the need for someone to create the crumbs for Garlett and co, and create the room for Hogan

That question is different and the answer to the void is Weideman - but not the Weed this year, I suspect, as he'll be a) not fit enough and b) not big bodied enough.

He will play a few games I suspect though, provided he doesn't get injured.

King has just had a couple of issues, spoke to him today, he is just working back to full fitness, still growing, so trying not to break him

Some of the low raking kicks were excellent, some were woeful

I had a joke with Sam W re the step on Oscar Mc, said that was the first time he had tried it, being encouraged by the coaches, is agile so use it

• Like 2

One more thing, for those trying to pick our team for Port game, the one player missing today that saddened me was Mitch White - anyone know what was wrong with him?

The others definitely not ready for first game are: Dawes, Lumumba, Vince, JKH, Trengove, Oliver, CP5, Newton and the older King.

1 minute ago, Deespicable said:

One more thing, for those trying to pick our team for Port game, the one player missing today that saddened me was Mitch White - anyone know what was wrong with him?

The others definitely not ready for first game are: Dawes, Lumumba, Vince, JKH, Trengove, Oliver, CP5, Newton and the older King.

I asked about White and got nothing, which is what usually happens with somebody who is not training, if it serious website usually announces it, could be nothing

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

That question is different and the answer to the void is Weideman - but not the Weed this year, I suspect, as he'll be a) not fit enough and b) not big bodied enough.

He will play a few games I suspect though, provided he doesn't get injured.

I agree with the Weed comment. Maybe they will get Max to drift forward and create the contest, as the rotations will be fewer, but I've written Pedo off before and he has proved me wrong, I remember the Carlton game in 2014, he kicked a beauty for the boundary and went on in leaps and bounds

6 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Geez we have a stack of injury issues for this time of year.

You know what im happy for Terlich playing out of his skin. Lets be honest his weaknesses is his kicking skills but one thing he does provide is run and dash out of the backline. He is by far not the worst player thats pulled on the jumper like some on here make out to be. Get his skills and decision making right and Terlich is a pretty handy player when full of confidence.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

You know what im happy for Terlich playing out of his skin. Lets be honest his weaknesses is his kicking skills but one thing he does provide is run and dash out of the backline. He is by far not the worst player thats pulled on the jumper like some on here make out to be. Get his skills and decision making right and Terlich is a pretty handy player when full of confidence.

You don't honestly believe that, do you?  I agree with you far more often than I don't dazzle, but this is going a little far.  There is a reason the bloke has barely played for 2 years.  He just isn't up to it, let alone a 'pretty handy player'.

I was probably a little harsh earlier, although it frustrates me to see people go over the top with their belief of what our players are capable of because they do well at training, but he is not a good AFL player.  Certainly not the worst, as we've had plenty over the journey who should never have gotten a game (Isaac Weetra comes to mind), but to suggest he is a pretty handy player is incorrect.

34 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Sorry DD, but even at VFL level his skills and decision making are ordinary. Contrary to what Saty may have you believe, senior players rarely improve on these areas over a preseason.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, McQueen said:

Let's see how they perform under a different game plan and team rules.

It just might make a difference.

That said, I share a similar sentiment.

Love it Steve - it's a very eloquent "nah.....yeah"