Homesick Magpie

Six6Six

17 hours ago, Curry & Beer said:

There is no longer a culture of loyalty

That's why we have a situation where everybody's favourite player does a runner chasing more bucks

Great for footy huh

There is at some clubs, Port and Hawthorn would be two.

1 hour ago, Good Times Grimes said:

That being said, Tom Scully will always be a [censored] of the highest order.

I have no problem with Scully leaving for money  - I have massive problems with the outright lies he told. He should have followed Gazza's lead and said nothing the whole year before going to the Suns. All Scully needed to say was  - "I am concentrating on my footy and will make my decision at years end" - end of story 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

There is at some clubs, Port and Hawthorn would be two.

Buddy Franklin may think differently.

At said earlier - it is much easy to be loyal when you know you are going to play finals.

8 hours ago, willmoy said:

Probably couldn't see much happening here (Rivers that is) and wanted to play a few Finals before the legs are cactus. Know the feeling...

Partly yes and lowballed on his new contract

12 minutes ago, nutbean said:

I have no problem with Scully leaving for money  - I have massive problems with the outright lies he told. He should have followed Gazza's lead and said nothing the whole year before going to the Suns. All Scully needed to say was  - "I am concentrating on my footy and will make my decision at years end" - end of story 

I feel the same way. I think the AFL needs to sort out a way to lock new draftees to clubs on longer initial contracts to prevent situations like Scully's or the "Go Home 5" from occurring. That's not on the players to have to worry about, as they're playing by the rules that have been put in place when requesting trades/ signing with new teams after two years. All they can do is handle it as gracefully as possible, something that T$ didn't do.

If this can't be sorted out, it will become more and more difficult for lowly clubs to rise up the ladder. God knows that we've had a hard enough time, and we've only lost one of our draftees after his initial contract.

20 hours ago, Curry & Beer said:

There is no longer a culture of loyalty

That's why we have a situation where everybody's favourite player does a runner chasing more bucks

Great for footy huh

Which is why we should be worshiping players like N Jones at our club.

Leaders who are loyal in their very makeup and have the desire to inspire change at a club.

It subtly filters through and younger players like Gus Brayshaw who has been clinging to Jones since his arrival will be profoundly impacted by traits like these.

In fact, you can quote me on this. Providing our club remains strong on and off-field, if it's up to Angus, he'll be a one club player for our club. It's in his makeup and he has leaders like Jones rubbing off on him.

Players like Howe and Frawley are not game changers. They're celebrities. Minnows who are more interested in the lifestyle of the game. Which is why you see so much inconsistency in performance and effort. 

Viney, Brayshaw, Stretch, Neal-Bullen. They're of a similar breed. 

We're certainly on the right path.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, poita said:

Wow, I didn't know that you weren't allowed to talk to your former workmates after you leave a job. How dare Howe set foot within 100 metres of one of our players.

perfect example of the contemporary attitude towards being part of a footy club

• Like 1

Just now, Redleg said:

Tyson, Melksham, Bugg, Kennedy, Newton, Pedersen, Garlett, Michie, Lumumba, etc, all say hello to those getting upset on this thread.

Basically all of them were thrown away by their clubs so that clearly doesn't count.

Tyson was a trade for pick 2 , that's it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nutbean said:

Nut, you realise that after criticising him for lying you've gone on to suggest he should have lied. To deliberately misquote, apparently some lies are more equal than others. 

3 hours ago, nutbean said:

Buddy Franklin may think differently.

At said earlier - it is much easy to be loyal when you know you are going to play finals.

Players offered over a million per season will nearly always go, Danger to us being the only one not to. There would have been plenty of others who have refused other offers to stay.

22 hours ago, nutbean said:

Scully is a deceitful little punk, and he isn't much of a footballer either. On performance alone he'd be lucky to get another contract.

10 minutes ago, KingDingAling said:

Scully is a deceitful little punk, and he isn't much of a footballer either. On performance alone he'd be lucky to get another contract.

If you had a choice of a new player at MFC next year and the choice was $cully or VanDenBerg who would you pick? For me I would rather VDB which does not say much about $cully

19 hours ago, ManDee said:

If you had a choice of a new player at MFC next year and the choice was $cully or VanDenBerg who would you pick? For me I would rather VDB which does not say much about $cully

Vandenberg in a heartbeat. Scully has no inside game, and his outside game is sloppy. He has no poise, he is a campaigner of a kick, and he is wasteful. Vandenberg on the other hand, was better in his first year - than Scully has been in any year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, billy2803 said:

So that's why we should "understand" him wanting to change clubs?  FMD, we will have no team if every player wanted to leave and play for the club they grew up barracking.

We would have had Judd, Pendles, and Prestia though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Nut, you realise that after criticising him for lying you've gone on to suggest he should have lied. To deliberately misquote, apparently some lies are more equal than others. 

You're right. Let me rephrase  "I am concentrating on my footy and have nothing to say" - end of story.

Better still - say nothing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Good Times Grimes said:

Just because we benefited from him leaving doesn't mean that we can't despise him and insult him at any and every opportunity.

Every time Hogan, Tyson and Salem touch the ball, kick a goal or get us a win, go ahead and insult him at every opportunity then.

2 hours ago, H_T said:

Every time Hogan, Tyson and Salem touch the ball, kick a goal or get us a win, go ahead and insult him at every opportunity then.

Come on H_T, surely you've got to have even the smallest morsel of contempt for him. I'm absolutely thrilled with the fact that we've got Hogan, Tyson and Salem as a result of him leaving, but that doesn't mean that I don't still despise him.

5 minutes ago, Good Times Grimes said:

Come on H_T, surely you've got to have even the smallest morsel of contempt for him. I'm absolutely thrilled with the fact that we've got Hogan, Tyson and Salem as a result of him leaving, but that doesn't mean that I don't still despise him.

GTG at the time yes re: his behaviour with Jim etc - I acknowledge. However, I couldn't care less about him (or Phil) and happy with the cards we've been dealt as a result. Well and truly over it and am more excited about what we've got to work with and their progress than looking over my shoulder at the past or turning a page to see what GWS are up to.

The same can be said at Draft time. I'd rather our club and GWS work out great win-win trade deals/scenarios that will benefit our club, than others who despise our club dealing with GWS full stop because of the chip on their shoulder.

9 hours ago, Good Times Grimes said:

Exactly. It's easy for us to criticize players for their disloyalty, but it's important to remember that football is their job and this job very rarely lasts longer than 15 years. Most people have goals in their line of work, whether it be promotions, raises, finding new clients, etc, but they also have a much longer time to achieve these goals than footballers do to achieve theirs. It's common sense that every footballer has a goal of winning a premiership, and they need to put themselves in the best position to do this while also looking out for their financial interests. They need to make the best decisions for themselves and their futures. Football is a business.

That being said, Tom Scully will always be a [censored] of the highest order.

I don't mind players changing clubs for whatever reason. 

What i will always object to is those same players "going easy" during the last year of a contract. 

Moloney, $cully, Howe all did it

the same way Patrick Dangerfield DIDN'T!!!

• Like 1