The Frawley Factor

pitmaster

And people like K Bartlett say we got overs for him we got what he was worth he proved that yesterday, at least he thought before he spoke after the game he was terrific yesterday, KB reckons Kruze and the ruckman from the lions is worth the same pick as chip he's kidding himself and he was AA selector hard to imagine.

Edited by Middymalt

Chip didn't do anything yesterday he hasn't done before in terms of playing his role.

Key defender....Clarko would of broken his role right down for him to keep it simple. Wear your opponent like a glove, punch the ball when it comes in, take the occasional mark if the opportunity presents. Don't try anything to fancy with the footy we have plenty of blokes around you for that.

His kicking hasn't improved.

His decision making hasn't improved.

His football as a whole hasn't improved, when he came to play he always was a reasonable defender.

He won a flag, congratulations.

We got Angus.

I agree completely. Yesterday he did a good job. He has done that many times with the Dees, except yesterday there was very little pressure on him because they were belting them. Every WC entry was a wild bomb into the forward 50. It was the opposite of the situation he faced at Melbourne most of the time.

My family thought I was being churlish when I said that I hoped he got 12 goals kicked on him. They were probably right. He is no longer a Melbourne player and I would rather not think about him any more.

For some reason I felt more charitable about Rivers and was able to wish the best for him. Maybe it was the fact that he didn't leave the Dees in the prime of his career but at in the last couple and was just seeking some success. I don't know. Maybe it was that rivers always gave us courage and leadership when he was a Demon. Frawley has shown that he is a follower and not a leader. That's ok, not everyone is born to lead.

Given his lack of leadership, and the fact that we have Brayshaw in return, and that we have TMac, Dunne, Frost and possibly OMac, if he shapes up, I don't see Frawley as a great loss. Thus far, he hasn't proven to be so. It's just annoying when good players leave.

• Like 2

Well

This is what its about

Frawley like 90% of players play to win the flag. He had played 8 years in the depths with no immediate sign of success. He was in an under seige backline with little chance of respite. WE gave him enough practice at playing under pressure but had no reward to offerHe perhaps coasted a little last year but has now had the ultimate success and "played his role" in that success.

MFC should now use his success with our group of young and upcoming and our more seasoned players.

Remind them that this is what they play for. This success brings higher rewards. This success comes through hard work improving skills and increasing workloads as I am sure Frawley did at Hawthorn. We must show them how this team absorbed and applied pressure, how they responded to the intensity of the game.

If Frawley can do it so can you

Dont let him Clarko. bruce, Yze etc be the only demons to enjoy premiership status lets make our own history by playing at our capacity each week and above it when required.

Use the talent that you have, use the knowledge of the coaches, recognise the talents skills and experiences of your teammates and use them to achieve success.

Use our squad wisely and rest players who need rest while building resilience and endurance of those needing it

It all seems so simple but requires constant repetition start now

Its up to the coaches

Go DEES

Well

This is what its about

Frawley like 90% of players play to win the flag. He had played 8 years in the depths with no immediate sign of success. He was in an under seige backline with little chance of respite. WE gave him enough practice at playing under pressure but had no reward to offerHe perhaps coasted a little last year but has now had the ultimate success and "played his role" in that success.

MFC should now use his success with our group of young and upcoming and our more seasoned players.

Remind them that this is what they play for. This success brings higher rewards. This success comes through hard work improving skills and increasing workloads as I am sure Frawley did at Hawthorn. We must show them how this team absorbed and applied pressure, how they responded to the intensity of the game.

If Frawley can do it so can you

Dont let him Clarko. bruce, Yze etc be the only demons to enjoy premiership status lets make our own history by playing at our capacity each week and above it when required.

Use the talent that you have, use the knowledge of the coaches, recognise the talents skills and experiences of your teammates and use them to achieve success.

Use our squad wisely and rest players who need rest while building resilience and endurance of those needing it

It all seems so simple but requires constant repetition start now

Its up to the coaches

Go DEES

Its up to the coaches?

That's what a few of our players that are about to be moved on thought.

The coaches are part it of it but the players also have to deliver on a weekly basis.

• Like 2

This post leaves a sour taste. I reckon Frawley did all he could for Melbourne. He's a limited player, who gave his all.

I went to a club function early in the year and he was most engaging.

He left, but I'm certain he would have preferred to stay given the right circumstances.

I suspect he gave far more to the club than anyone posting here.

Well that goes without saying. He also got a lot more than anyone here will ever get.

James Frawley gave a lot to Melbourne, but it was still nowhere near enough. Certainly nowhere near as much as the real Hawthorn players have given Hawthorn.

• Like 4

I didn't hear of any other clubs waving big contracts under Dunn's nose so the circumstances are very different

hawthorn didn't have to lure Frawley. He wanted out.

They could have paid him less and he would have walked

Here is the root of our problem. Which i might add is all our own fault. But it is what we slowly must turn around...

Its up to the coaches?

That's what a few of our players that are about to be moved on thought.

The coaches are part it of it but the players also have to deliver on a weekly basis.

True

The players must deliver

but they should be driven by the coaches who prepare match ups based on skill sets etc. Strategies must be considered by coaches while players concentrate on skills and fitness. The motivation which should be instinctive needs to be focused and directed by coaches.

True

The players must deliver

but they should be driven by the coaches who prepare match ups based on skill sets etc. Strategies must be considered by coaches while players concentrate on skills and fitness. The motivation which should be instinctive needs to be focused and directed by coaches.

I agree with that. Best recent example was the loss against the Saints then the win against Geelong. Did something drastically change from the coaches during the week or was it Jones telling Roos that the players were taking ownership, then we went back to the same old Melbourne.

I think everyone's had that job where you reach a breaking point and officially mentally check out. Whether from bad management, exorbitant unpaid overtime, poor conditions or otherwise, once you reach that point it's very, very hard to check back in. You could almost see Frawley reach this exact moment in the horrible Eagles loss at the start of 2014. His demeanour was horrible from that point onwards.

That said, sometimes a fresh start can be the best thing for both parties. I'll go out on a limb and say both clubs will look back on last year's draft favourably. Frawley nullified the best KPF in the competition to help secure another Hawks flag, while we got the best young midfielder in last year's draft (potentially only rivalled by the player we took before him). The optimist in me hopes that our last few drafts could be for us what Hodge/Lewis/Roughead/Franklin were for the Hawks.

• Like 5

hawthorn didn't have to lure Frawley. He wanted out.

They could have paid him less and he would have walked

Here is the root of our problem. Which i might add is all our own fault. But it is what we slowly must turn around...

Sorry mate but that's just conjecture on your part

Sorry mate but that's just conjecture on your part

You really think Hawthorn paid overs to get Chip's services?

He walked...Watch the WC game round 2 last year...He puts the white flag up at the City end of the ground.....

The Hawks are in the Box Seat for a few more years yet....Retired players are replaced with a selection of FA Players who are queuing up to get a gig

Hawthorn can choose their desired Free Agent.....at this point in time...

They said this morning on tv about how there are players there at hawthorn who are being paid way under what other clubs would pay them for. Said Frawley had huge offers to go to other clubs but he wanted a premiership which is why he chose the hawks.

How are we supposed to equalise a competition when everyone involved in it just wants success, and damn the money?

They said this morning on tv about how there are players there at hawthorn who are being paid way under what other clubs would pay them for. Said Frawley had huge offers to go to other clubs but he wanted a premiership which is why he chose the hawks.

Exactly my point...Frawley by playing well in The GF can up his NEXT Contract....

But he was willing to go cheaper to get a foot in the door....

He backed himself

His biggest issue last year was to stay injury free...The MFC knew that as well...if Frawley got to go to the Hawks Fit...we got Brayshaw

But this 2nd Best attitude must stop once we have extracted all of Schwab's influences.

i really doubt other clubs offered anything substantially better than the 2.5m over 4 years he got at the dorks

he got a top $ offer at the dorks

You can't deny he made the right decision for his own future and has become a better footballer in the Hawks system.

However, his attitude during his time with us was terrible. He should have been a leader but wasn't and his cynical explanation about waiting to see what was happening at the Club before deciding whether to leave when he had obviously commited to the Hawks well in advance leaves a bad taste.

Except that he hadn't committed to the Hawks at all! He nearly went to Geelong and I heard their coach say they were confident of getting him.

Now it maybe that at an early stage he had decided he would leave the Dees, but I recall after the Essendon boilover, Frawley, who played very well at CHF was bloody excited. I still wonder whether, had our season not ended very badly, he would have stayed

Fork Frawley.

Well on a brighter note yesterday I watched Nautanui closely. Perhaps he has been badly affected by recent personal events, but on yesterday's display I'm glad we got Jack Watts.

I had expected Nautanui to lead the older and slower Hawks rucks a merry dance. But he never lead effectively, never demanded that teammates give him the ball. Although he got a lot of hitouts, and some were effective, the fact is that both McEvoy and Hale got the ball more. Considering the first 5 seconds when he roved his own hitout and had the first kick of the match, I thought he was perhaps the most disappointing player on the field

• Like 3

Well on a brighter note yesterday I watched Nautanui closely. Perhaps he has been badly affected by recent personal events, but on yesterday's display I'm glad we got Jack Watts.

I had expected Nautanui to lead the older and slower Hawks rucks a merry dance. But he never lead effectively, never demanded that teammates give him the ball. Although he got a lot of hitouts, and some were effective, the fact is that both McEvoy and Hale got the ball more. Considering the first 5 seconds when he roved his own hitout and had the first kick of the match, I thought he was perhaps the most disappointing player on the field

Been tellin' the clowns at work that Nik Nats overrated for years.

Doesn't stop 'em sheetcanning us for takin' Watts at #1.

As for Frawley, I remember looking into his eyes against north at Etihad the game when Juice Newton kicked about 3 in the first qr and thinking that he'd checked out then.

Edited by Fork 'em

And you think Jack Watts would do any better in a grand final?

The guy would crumble under extreme pressure like a sack of [censored].

• Like 2

And you think Jack Watts would do any better in a grand final?

The guy would crumble under extreme pressure like a sack of [censored].

At least we know the types to draft now. We wouldn't touch a player like Watts again with pick #1.

At least we know the types to draft now. We wouldn't touch a player like Watts again with pick #1.

You mean like Scully?