Gary Baker

DeeZee

Rubbish !! I went to multiple Melbourne v Richmond games in the mid to late 70's. My abiding memory is of Royce Hart destroying us, Drifting across packs and taking mark after mark kicking heaps of goals. Add to that Sheedy trying to kill everyone in a red and blue jumper, Roger Dean, Dick Clay and a half a dozen others

"Mid to late 70s" - Hardeman played in South Australia.

I'm thinking early 70s - Hardeman always seemed to have the better of him.

Despite being some of our worst years - until now - we actually had Hardeman, Frank Davis and Tony Sullivan as Victorian State players. Our half back line all represented Victoria.

not sure he went *home* to sa, it

was from bentleigh tech and played under age with mfc fourths and thirds

always wondered why he went to sturt. he tried to go 2 years earlier but was still contracted and blocked

Didnt Barassi have a crack at Baker for having a beard? Vaguely remember someone got told to get rid of it.

You are correct, Hardeman was a Vic boy, I think you'll find he went to Moorabbin Tech.

I went to school with his younger brother @ Sandy tech, I used to corner him to get some inside gossip, but never really got much out of him, as hard as I tried.

Edit: having slept on this, I am pretty sure it was Peter Giles, that was told to remove his beard (not Baker)

Edited by DeeVoted
  • Like 2

Gary Hardeman was probably the best taxi driver to ever play the game.

He was very athletic (despite all that time behind the wheel) but his kicking was atrocious - hence he was a great of the 70s, but would have been given the Grimes treatment by most current Demonlanders.

As for sticky-hands police officer Parke, he was an exceptional mark, but was a very unreliable kick.

Neither would get a game today, but then I'm sure they would have been taught kicking skills way better from a young age nowadays.

What, you're saying Hardeman wouldn't get a game today??? At least he could mark, at least he could outmark, at least he could get the bloody pill.

So Greg Parke couldn't kick more than 40 metres: at least he took 20 marks a game, every game.

Didnt Barassi have a crack at Baker for having a beard? Vaguely remember someone got told to get rid of it.

You are correct, Hardeman was a Vic boy, I think you'll find he went to Moorabbin Tech.

I went to school with his younger brother @ Sandy tech, I used to corner him to get some inside gossip, but never really got much out of him, as hard as I tried.

Gary Baker was fantastic. He was an outsider for a brownlow one year.

bentleigh tech was moorabin tech wasn't it?

any idea why he went to sturt. he tried twice succeeding the 2nd time 2 years later, so i presume he had strong reasons

bentleigh tech was moorabin tech wasn't it?

any idea why he went to sturt. he tried twice succeeding the 2nd time 2 years later, so i presume he had strong reasons

We are really winding back the clock now DC. The best I can do is, when I seen a Hardeman in my class or year. I figured they were related, so got to know him pretty well at the time. You reckon I can remember his name? Michael, I think it was. Could be wrong.

I do remember him saying Gary went to another Tech (Moorabin), the reasons why both sons went to different schools I can't remember. We played footy against other schools, I don't recall Bentleigh Tech. Gary's brother as I recall wasn't in the school footy team. I seem to remember he wasn't interested.

Why he went to Sturt.... ? I am guessing, pick one :) Got a better offer?, had a fallout with Barassi.? WJ might remember. Off the top of my head, I can't recall why he left. He was a gun, along with Baker, Parke, Dillon. All suffered serious knee injuries at some stage.

As another poster mentioned, Parke was a shocker in front of goal. He was other Howe. Parke could take a screamer, then miss right in front. Dillon was better, more mobile, but he did his knee and wasn't the same again.

What, you're saying Hardeman wouldn't get a game today??? At least he could mark, at least he could outmark, at least he could get the bloody pill.

So Greg Parke couldn't kick more than 40 metres: at least he took 20 marks a game, every game.

Hardeman would easily play todays game, & with todays training would learn the modern kicking styles. disciplined athletic high fitness courage, ability.

So would Stan Alves, no problem.

My two cents worth.

Baker was an absolute beauty. Great hands. A real fan favorite at the time.

Hardeman. Gun CHB. Took one of the best marks I've ever seen. Can't remember who we were playing, but it was at the 'G and he took a spectacular hanger. The response from the crowd was ecstatic. I remember we were still clapping well after his kick went out of bounds and was thrown in.

• Like 1

My two cents worth.

Baker was an absolute beauty. Great hands. A real fan favorite at the time.

Hardeman. Gun CHB. Took one of the best marks I've ever seen. Can't remember who we were playing, but it was at the 'G and he took a spectacular hanger. The response from the crowd was ecstatic. I remember we were still clapping well after his kick went out of bounds and was thrown in.

I remember that mark as well. Rivals Sean Smiths effort but I don't think it was captured on film so has been lost to posterity.

Gary Hardeman was just 17 when he made his debut with Melbourne as a lightly built wingman/half forward - he grew into the role of a key defender and was quite brilliant when at his best in the early 70s. He and Greg Parke were the best of the recruits who came from what was supposedly a strong recruiting zone centred around the Bentleigh-McKinnon area which was in the 60s a growing metropolitan area, often compared with the neighbouring Waverley/Oakleigh area which the Tigers had as their zone. Unfortunately, (with the notable exception of Robbie who came from Murrumbeena and later Steve Smith from McKinnon) the area failed to produce the same steady flow of top players which Richmond got from its metro zone over the next two and a half decades until the drafts took over. The same can be said for our country zone, the Goulburn Valley region (ironically Garry Lyon was just about our last player from there and the best).

I've always assumed that Gary Hardeman went to Sturt because of better financial opportunities but I really don't know if there was anything else behind the move. We were pretty much a rabble in the late 70s, much as we have been for the past decade.

• Like 3

Gary Baker was telling me that he was from Leongatha which was zoned to Footscray at the time and played his first two seasons at the Doggies, before coming across to Melbourne,and even though he spent a couple of seasons at the Swans at the end of his career, he is a Demon through and through.

Just met Gary Baker ex Demon ruckman who owns a restaraunt in Hobart called Rockwall.

Top bloke who was one of my heroes as a kid.

Great to know Gary Baker is still a Demon. Even better he is doing well,what a footballer he was. I loved how he went about playing footy. One of my favourites. Thanks for sharing, what a suprise that would have been. Something you will never forget.

He always looked like he would have been right at home sitting on a Harley.

• Like 1

Gary Baker boy could he play. I forget which year he was BOG game after game and of course did his knee, and stopped him winning a Brownlow but that was so MFC. Great player.

I can remember vaguely a game in the 70's where Hardeman gave Royce Hart a bath or 3 and 3/4 quarters but then Royce gets loose for 5 minutes and finally has 3 possessions which turn into 3 goals and the Tigers get over the line. Votes Hart 3 Hardeman 0 if I remember correctly. Such is the lot of a backman.

Earl, you've got me thinking. I seem to recall that back in the 60s and perhaps the 70s, the Brownlow voting system didn't allow for votes to be identified publicly for specific games, so you wouldn't know who got votes for which games. Does anyone have a similar recall? If that's correct, when did the system change so we knew which votes were assigned to which games?

I will see if I can find the answer to the question. I still have stuff tucked away in my Demon archives. IIRC, it covers the late 60's to the early 80's. Maybe I will find the answer in there.

Gary Hardeman was just 17 when he made his debut with Melbourne as a lightly built wingman/half forward - he grew into the role of a key defender and was quite brilliant when at his best in the early 70s.

He and Greg Parke were the best of the recruits who came from what was supposedly a strong recruiting zone centred around the Bentleigh-McKinnon area which was in the 60s a growing metropolitan area, often compared with the neighbouring Waverley/Oakleigh area which the Tigers had as their zone.

Unfortunately, (with the notable exception of Robbie who came from Murrumbeena and later Steve Smith from McKinnon) the area failed to produce the same steady flow of top players which Richmond got from its metro zone over the next two and a half decades until the drafts took over. The same can be said for our country zone, the Goulburn Valley region (ironically Garry Lyon was just about our last player from there and the best).

I've always assumed that Gary Hardeman went to Sturt because of better financial opportunities but I really don't know if there was anything else behind the move. We were pretty much a rabble in the late 70s, much as we have been for the past decade.

1344963600000.jpg

Includes all finals matches coached

Season Club . . . . . . Games Won Lost Drawn Win %

1963 . Richmond Under 19 . 19 11 . 8 . . - . 57.89

1964 . Richmond Under 19 . 20 16 . 4 . . - . 80.00

1965 . Richmond Under 19 . 18 .8 .10 . . - . 44.44

1966 . Richmond Under 19 . 18 .6 .11 . . 1 . 36.11

1967 . Richmond Under 19 . 21 17 . 3 . . 1 . 83.33

1968 . Richmond Under 19 . 22 21 . 1 . . - . 95.45

1969 . Richmond Under 19 . 22 19 . 3 . . - . 86.36

1970 . Richmond Under 19 . 23 20 . 3 . . - . 86.95

1972 . Richmond Under 19 . 24 15 . 9 . . - . 62.50

1973 . Richmond Under 19 . 24 21 . 3 . . - . 87.50

1974 . Nth Melb Under 19 . 22 .6 .16 . . - . 27.27

1975 . Nth Melb Under 19 . 22 16 . 6 . . - . 72.72

1976 . Nth Melb Under 19 . 24 23 . 1 . . - . 95.83

. . . .Nth Melb Reserves . 26 16 .10 . . - . 61.53

. . . .Nth Melb Seniors . . 1 .- . 1 . . - . .0.00

1977 . Nth Melb Under 19 . 24 18 . 6 . . - . 75.00

. . . .Nth Melb Reserves . 24 15 . 9 . . - . 62.50

1978 . Nth Melb Under 19 . 24 14 . 9 . . 1 . 60.41

. . . .Nth Melb Reserves . 24 21 . 3 . . - . 87.50

1979 . Nth Melb Under 19 . 24 14 . 9 . . 1 . 60.41

. . . .Nth Melb Reserves . 25 18 . 7 . . - . 72.00

1980 . Nth Melb Under 19 . 22 .7 .14 . . 1 . 34.09

. . . .Nth Melb Reserves . 23 14 . 9 . . - . 60.86

1981 . Melbourne Under 19 .26 17 . 9 . . - . 65.38

. . . .Melbourne Reserves .22 .9 .13 . . - . 40.90

1982 . Melbourne Under 19 .24 17 . 7 . . - . 70.83

. . . .Melbourne Reserves .22 10 .12 . . - . 45.45

1983 . Melbourne Under 19 .26 20 . 6 . . - . 76.92

. . . .Melbourne Reserves .22 .5 .17 . . - . 22.72

1984 . Melbourne Under 19 .25 16 . 9 . . - . 64.00

. . . .Melbourne Reserves .24 19 . 5 . . - . 79.16

1985 . Melbourne Under 19 .22 .5 .17 . . - . 22.72

. . . .Melbourne Reserves .25 14 .10 . . 1 . 58.00

1986 . Essendon Under 19 . 21 12 . 9 . . - . 57.14

1987 . Essendon Under 19 . 23 13 .10 . . - . 56.52

1988 . Essendon Under 19 . 24 14 .10 . . - . 58.33

1989 . Essendon Under 19 . 24 18 . 6 . . - . 75.00

1990 . Essendon Under 19 . 24 16 . 8 . . - . 66.66

1992 . Central Dragons . . 15 .4 .11 . . - . 26.66

1993 . Central Dragons . . 20 13 . 7 . . - . 65.00

1994 . Central Dragons . . 22 13 . 9 . . - . 59.09

1995 . Prahran Dragons . . 18 .6 .12 . . - . 33.33

1996 . Prahran Dragons . . 18 .3 .15 . . - . 16.66

1997 . Prahran Dragons . . 19 .7 .12 . . - . 36.84

TOTALS Richmond Under 19 .211 154 55 . . 2 . 73.45

. . . .Nth Melb Under 19 .162 .98 61 . . 3 . 61.41

. . . .Nth Melb Reserves .122 .84 38 . . - . 68.85

. . . .Melbourne Under 19 123 .75 48 . . - . 60.97

. . . .Melbourne Reserves 115 .57 57 . . 1 . 50.00

. . . .Essendon Under 19 .116 .73 43 . . - . 62.93

. . . .Central Dragons . . 57 .30 27 . . - . 52.63

. . . .Prahran Dragons . . 55 .16 39 . . - . 29.09

GRAND TOTAL . . . . . . . 962 587 369 . .6 . 61.33

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ray-jordons-coaching-career.888680/

The other high flyer I remember was Ross Brewer. A bit like Howe - a great Mark but a pretty ordinary footballer.

I remember Ross as a handy goal sneak who had the ability on the then common heavy grounds to employ genuine soccer skills to baulk opponents and then goal off the ground .

Edit: having slept on this, I am pretty sure it was Peter Giles, that was told to remove his beard (not Baker)

It was all of the hirsute players. One of Barassi's first edicts was that all the beards had to go. The mo's survived the cut though

Bakes was a ripper. Great one grab mark

Hardeman is still the best CHB I've seen play for Melbourne. And we lost a couple of his prime years. I'm pretty sure he went to SA for a quid

Fond memories of Gary Baker wearing the #1 jumper at Melbourne

Looked fearsome and played that way

One grab mark was a feature of his play and was a great protector of smaller players as nobody from the opposition would dare go near him when a fight started

Started at Footscray wearing #27 in 1972

Moved to Melbourne in 1974 wearing #1 until 1981 before ending his career with Sydney

Gary was no slouch as he did win Melbourne's Best and Fairest award in 1978

A knee injury did shorten his career

We were a very poor side back then

As for Garry Hardeman

Should have been in the VFL/AFL Hall of Fame long ago

One wonders how long it will take

One of the first picked in the State Side

Would have been a multi All Australian selection at CHB if they had it back in those days

• Like 1

I think it was Norm Smith who told Bernie Massey that he would not play another game for Melbourne if he didn't shave off his beard in 1964

It was all of the hirsute players. One of Barassi's first edicts was that all the beards had to go. The mo's survived the cut though

Bakes was a ripper. Great one grab mark

Hardeman is still the best CHB I've seen play for Melbourne. And we lost a couple of his prime years. I'm pretty sure he went to SA for a quid

this shouts volumes, doesn't it ???