Jack Redden

dazzledavey36

This. Toumpas's biggest issues are how much he cares, how frightened he is to make mistakes, and how much he beats himself up when he does make mistakes. It's not a lack of heart, and it's not a lack of talent. It's all in his head.

And that's something we know he can get over too.

This. Toumpas's biggest issues are how much he cares, how frightened he is to make mistakes, and how much he beats himself up when he does make mistakes. It's not a lack of heart, and it's not a lack of talent. It's all in his head.

So he should care less about his football?

We already have a bloke who has already confessed to not beating himself up when he makes an error, or plays in a losing team. Doesn't seem to have made him a great footballer.

My worry with Jimmy, is that come game time, his head just doesn't operate at the required speed for AFL level aussie rules. I hope he can get it right, and become a reasonable player for us.

Does anyone have a decent insight into the game brain of Redden? He looks a good size, but I really don't know much about his skill set, and strengths/weaknesses

• Like 1

We already have a bloke who has already confessed to not beating himself up when he makes an error, or plays in a losing team. Doesn't seem to have made him a great footballer.

My worry with Jimmy, is that come game time, his head just doesn't operate at the required speed for AFL level aussie rules. I hope he can get it right, and become a reasonable player for us.

Yes, he should.

There is a huge difference between being competitive and hating failure and losing all confidence and not coping with failure.

Toumpas' heart is in this, which was the point GTG was making, but he cannot seem to function when things are not going well, when he fails.

He needs to tell himself that if he does fail as a footy player - life will go on, it isn't the end of his worth as a person - don't be afraid of that eventuality.

Now go and try to make something of your career, knowing you won't be defined by it.

some take a lifetime to get over a fear of failure....bit late then...just saying

You're right.

But fear of failure means one doesn't try, at least he is trying...

not being smart alec here but there is the converse.

The fear of success. Its very real and often stops people from taking risks or stepping up.

Kyosaki mentions it often in his scribblings.

For some a pseudo comfort zone is near enough

Does anyone have a decent insight into the game brain of Redden? He looks a good size, but I really don't know much about his skill set, and strengths/weaknesses

Quite a few times I've heard the coaching staff putting him at Casey and basically telling him to enjoy his footy. It really seems with him it's easier said than done.

It sounds like he's one of the hardest working and most determined guys but he may actually be a bit damaged here at Melbourne. I will be happy to keep him but a change could be the best thing for him.

Not sure why I'm talking about Toumpas in a Redden thread, but if it's a part of a potential trade to get him here I reckon if Jimmy's going to make a solid change I don't think it'll happen at the Lions.

What I don't get with Jimmy is that he looked so good before he was drafted , and was considered to have elite skills and some toe.

But when you see him with the Dees, it reminds me of just before Trengove was diagnosed with his foot problem,where he looked like he was running in concrete shoes.

Makes me wonder if he has been carrying some sort of injury the last couple of seasons.

Hope Toump stays and is given an extended run in the ones, just not off a half back flank. Don't believe for an instant that the kid doesn't have talent but, like others bereft of confidence, jumps at shadows when under the pump. In short, backing him in (unless he gets traded upon which I'll remove him from my favourite player list). :wub:

Yes, he should.

There is a huge difference between being competitive and hating failure and losing all confidence and not coping with failure.

Toumpas' heart is in this, which was the point GTG was making, but he cannot seem to function when things are not going well, when he fails.

He needs to tell himself that if he does fail as a footy player - life will go on, it isn't the end of his worth as a person - don't be afraid of that eventuality.

Now go and try to make something of your career, knowing you won't be defined by it.

I think I understand your point, just not sure I agree with it.

Surely, in the age of fully professional Aussie Rules, if he has head problems of whatever flavour, the MFC have provided plenty of "psychology" from suitably qualified people?

He is having no meaningful impact on games, even at the lower level. Can it be fixed? I would have expected to see something by now.

Quite a few times I've heard the coaching staff putting him at Casey and basically telling him to enjoy his footy. It really seems with him it's easier said than done.

It sounds like he's one of the hardest working and most determined guys but he may actually be a bit damaged here at Melbourne. I will be happy to keep him but a change could be the best thing for him.

Not sure why I'm talking about Toumpas in a Redden thread, but if it's a part of a potential trade to get him here I reckon if Jimmy's going to make a solid change I don't think it'll happen at the Lions.

Are you suggesting he is yet another of our so called development problems?

He displayed these traits in his first ever game, and hasn't changed. Again, I hope it can be fixed, as I'm certain that he is giving everything that he has.

Imagine how good a player we would have if you could put the heart and desire of Toumpas into the body/skillset of Watts......

I weep for both of these players for different reasons.

Watts has the skills and footy brain to be in the top 20 players in the comp, but he doesnt (comparatively to the actual top 20) give a [censored] about the results of a game he plays in.

Toump, who i have slammed on here for being a 'Tard who panics when he has the ball, has a desire and will to succeed that is rivaled by very few players on our list (Personal opinion only as i cant read minds)

I want both of then to not just succeed, but excell coz they both wear the jumper of the team i barrack for.

As much as i wouldnt currently care if either was traded to improve our list, if i had to pick one to stay it would be the bloke who hurts when we lose.

PS i want us to get Redden.

Edited by ding

Redden is going to West Coast - its a lock , move on people.

Didn't West Coast say they weren't interested in Redden? I know you don't take everything clubs say as gospel, but usually they make some noises when they want players.

I would think West Coast would start having some salary cap issues given they have a fairly young list and a fair amount of top end talent - they might not be able to fit Redden in (or be able to trade for him), particularly if they get Jetta.

Didn't West Coast say they weren't interested in Redden? I know you don't take everything clubs say as gospel, but usually they make some noises when they want players.

I would think West Coast would start having some salary cap issues given they have a fairly young list and a fair amount of top end talent - they might not be able to fit Redden in (or be able to trade for him), particularly if they get Jetta.

Redden must be an idiot.

West Coast are about to play in a grand final with a young midfield brigade that runs pretty deep. Selwood can't get a game and they are very similar players. They don't exactly have an older team where some will be pushed out the other end either.

I'd enjoy see him ignore us only to play WAFL next year. Some players just don't get it.