• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Musings on two years in the wilderness

I have recently returned from a two year sting working overseas (Ethiopia).

I returned to Australia a week ago, went to the Brisbane game on Sunday, then watched today's game against the Saints on TV. Prior to this I the last game I saw live was in July last year against the Cats at the MCG, and before that it was the game against GWS in 2013 when we somehow kicked 12 goals in the last quarter...plus I have watched a couple of game replays where available on YouTube (AFL website replays weren't available in Ethiopia).

Here are a couple of musings based on two years with very limited opportunity to see my beloved Demons play live:

• Firstly, Demonland is a godsend when you are overseas. I can't thank the administrators enough for their efforts to keep the site functioning and for the insights provided by some posters, particularly those with insider knowledge and who provide such great training reports during the offseason (the most exciting time for us poor MFC supporters!). For all its faults and failings, the community of supporters on Demonland helps to keep those of us overseas in the loop and to make sure we still feel part of the club in spite of the distance. The regular reporting by Football journalists just doesn't cut it in this regards.
  • Secondly, what happened to the excitement of our beloved game? After Garlett snapped that goal to make it 5 for the Dees in the first quarter against the Lions I was jumping out of my seat at the G and genuinely excited about the next 3 quarters...but by time the final siren rang I couldn't even sing the song after almost dying of frustration. Yes, we won, and yes both teams are high stoppage teams, but seriously if I can't get excited about seeing my team win for the first time in over 2 years then something is definitely wrong with the state of the game.
  • Thirdly, after two years I would definitely have expected greater improvement. Sure it's been less than two seasons under Roos, but surely we should be able to address our consistency issues by now. It's hard to understand how teams like St Kilda and the Doggies who were contesting Grand Finals and Prelims in the late 2000s have fallen and risen above us. We still seem to be paying for the past mistake of moving on senior players before their time, which has robbed our club of experience that our younger brigade can learn from (both the Saints and Dogs have older/senior players as captains). Moreover, although our recruiting of recent years has been pretty spot on (both national draft and trades) I suspect the high turnover of players is affecting the ability of the team to gel together. Not to mention that many of the players have had to learn 3+ different game plans over 5 years or so.
  • Fourthly, I think we can finally say we have a good group of younger players who can form the nucleus of a competitive football team. Guys like Brayshaw, Hogan, Viney, Salem, and McDonald have all show they have what it takes to become elite (or close to it) players, and more importantly, appear to possess the right attitude. In spite of some recent woeful performances, we should all take some consolation in what these younger guys have showed to date. They just need time to develop and hopefully the addition of some A grade talent and greater improvement from guys already on the list.
  • Lastly, I really feel for those of you who have been watching the games week in and week out the past two years. Having been out of the country I have at least not had to deal with any other AFL supporters on a daily/weekly basis, which means my suffering is largely self-inflicted from my obsession with reading Demonland and consuming all and every article I can find online. As such, I can understand why many of you would be jumping off the band-wagon (or off the nearest cliff) after today's dismal performance. And I honestly don't blame you one bit. If you are not enjoying the footy, then you should find something else to do on your precious weekends. And no-one should be berated for it. But we shouldn't lose hope just yet, in reality the team is still only 1.74 years into yet another rebuild. And the team has show enough glimpses this year that they can play a relatively attractive style of football that looks like the type that can hold up in finals when all cylinders are firing. The question is, will any fans be left by the time we play finals again?
  • Like 12

I have recently returned from a two year sting working overseas (Ethiopia).

I returned to Australia a week ago, went to the Brisbane game on Sunday, then watched today's game against the Saints on TV. Prior to this I the last game I saw live was in July last year against the Cats at the MCG, and before that it was the game against GWS in 2013 when we somehow kicked 12 goals in the last quarter...plus I have watched a couple of game replays where available on YouTube (AFL website replays weren't available in Ethiopia).

Here are a couple of musings based on two years with very limited opportunity to see my beloved Demons play live:

• Firstly, Demonland is a godsend when you are overseas. I can't thank the administrators enough for their efforts to keep the site functioning and for the insights provided by some posters, particularly those with insider knowledge and who provide such great training reports during the offseason (the most exciting time for us poor MFC supporters!). For all its faults and failings, the community of supporters on Demonland helps to keep those of us overseas in the loop and to make sure we still feel part of the club in spite of the distance. The regular reporting by Football journalists just doesn't cut it in this regards.

• Secondly, what happened to the excitement of our beloved game? After Garlett snapped that goal to make it 5 for the Dees in the first quarter against the Lions I was jumping out of my seat at the G and genuinely excited about the next 3 quarters...but by time the final siren rang I couldn't even sing the song after almost dying of frustration. Yes, we won, and yes both teams are high stoppage teams, but seriously if I can't get excited about seeing my team win for the first time in over 2 years then something is definitely wrong with the state of the game.

• Thirdly, after two years I would definitely have expected greater improvement. Sure it's been less than two seasons under Roos, but surely we should be able to address our consistency issues by now. It's hard to understand how teams like St Kilda and the Doggies who were contesting Grand Finals and Prelims in the late 2000s have fallen and risen above us. We still seem to be paying for the past mistake of moving on senior players before their time, which has robbed our club of experience that our younger brigade can learn from (both the Saints and Dogs have older/senior players as captains). Moreover, although our recruiting of recent years has been pretty spot on (both national draft and trades) I suspect the high turnover of players is affecting the ability of the team to gel together. Not to mention that many of the players have had to learn 3+ different game plans over 5 years or so.

• Fourthly, I think we can finally say we have a good group of younger players who can form the nucleus of a competitive football team. Guys like Brayshaw, Hogan, Viney, Salem, and McDonald have all show they have what it takes to become elite (or close to it) players, and more importantly, appear to possess the right attitude. In spite of some recent woeful performances, we should all take some consolation in what these younger guys have showed to date. They just need time to develop and hopefully the addition of some A grade talent and greater improvement from guys already on the list.

• Lastly, I really feel for those of you who have been watching the games week in and week out the past two years. Having been out of the country I have at least not had to deal with any other AFL supporters on a daily/weekly basis, which means my suffering is largely self-inflicted from my obsession with reading Demonland and consuming all and every article I can find online. As such, I can understand why many of you would be jumping off the band-wagon (or off the nearest cliff) after today's dismal performance. And I honestly don't blame you one bit. If you are not enjoying the footy, then you should find something else to do on your precious weekends. And no-one should be berated for it. But we shouldn't lose hope just yet, in reality the team is still only 1.74 years into yet another rebuild. And the team has show enough glimpses this year that they can play a relatively attractive style of football that looks like the type that can hold up in finals when all cylinders are firing. The question is, will any fans be left by the time we play finals again?

Try week in week out for the last 9 years of rubbish.

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess I meant that I had a bit of a break after suffering through that period!

I'm with you though, mate. Frustrated as hell, but agreed with your 'fourthly' paragraph.

Ascobar, maybe you could scout for some Ethiopian recruits

They could run all day, but too small and no courage at all (based on the guys in the street who love talking [censored] to passers by, but back down as soon as you confront them, unless they've got ten mates backing them up...)

They could run all day, but too small and no courage at all (based on the guys in the street who love talking [censored] to passers by, but back down as soon as you confront them, unless they've got ten mates backing them up...)

Sounds like what I watched at the G today.

G'day Ascobar

Unfortunately footy has become a seemingly complex game of forward pressure, team defence, spreading from contests and interchange rotations since you have been gone........

....that's why you have probably been pulling what's left of your hair out when you see an in form, dominant, player kicking a goal and then sprinting to the bench (expending more energy to do that than they did to get the goal!!) and can't fathom why when we get the ball to a free player in the defensive 50m arc, and it is kicked long there is NO ONE there to make a contest!!!!......

.....but I have to say that the BIGGEST change there has been in football over the past few years is the WILLINGNESS and DETERMINATION by players to PROTECT a team mate................and as a result I UNFORTUNATELY..........I have to report that the 'SHEPHERD' (that's where a player blocks an opposition player to allow a team mate more time and less pressure to make a good decision and disposal) is COMPLETELY DEAD at the MFC..........thanks to the coaching that has been going on at the club for far too long now!

In my opinion If the current MFC players were coached to play as a team the statisticians would have to start recording 'shepherds' as a 'stat' just like they do 'tackles', 'goal assists' etc.

Enjoy your time in the sun Escobar....while we are all freezing our arses off at the 'G' in 8 degrees (not factoring in the wind chill) and wondering......WHY....why the _uck to we even bother.

Go.....meh.........show you give a [censored] and I will too!!

Historically the centre of civilisation.

Now not so great.

Change teams and countries Ascobar.

Historically the centre of civilisation.

Now not so great.

Change teams and countries Ascobar.

I was hopeful earlier this year that i would come back to watch an improved footy side on the rise. Now im pondering whether i do need to start following another code and moving overseas again as soon as possible!

• Like 2

I was hopeful earlier this year that i would come back to watch an improved footy side on the rise. Now im pondering whether i do need to start following another code and moving overseas again as soon as possible!

Do the first and stay here it is still a good country

Do the first and stay here it is still a good country

Sure, for now. But wait until the UN prosecutes us for human rights violations.

No country should ever get away with what we as a nation are put through - watching MFC games.

• Like 2

it just occured to me that we are only a scant 10 weeks away from drafting and then off season training.

Wow the best time of the year is only ten weeks away.

I might start a count down clock!

My god can you imagine if I did.

• Like 1

Ascobar you have missed all the real excitement you could have stayed in Addis to see Obama's visit!

• Like 1

Imagine having Haile Gebrselassi at the club to teach our guys how to run...

An unbelievable leader.

He can also teach them a thing or two about grit and determination to give one's all.

• Like 1

An unbelievable leader.

He can also teach them a thing or two about grit and determination to give one's all.

The club should consider doing altitude training there at least, would be far cheaper than arizona! Although if my experience is anything to go by, the players might shed a few too many kilos thanks to regular bouts of food poisoning...