MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 12

Demonland

At our home ground could be a contest but Geelong own that bloody ground. Even in the good old says we had trouble. We need a full strength side in form to make a contest.

I am really afraid you are on the money Ernest.

At our home ground could be a contest but Geelong own that bloody ground. Even in the good old says we had trouble. We need a full strength side in form to make a contest.

They're 1-2 this year and the only win they had only happened because GC continued to miss easy shots on goal despite dominating the run of play. They should be 0-3.

We shouldn't be writing this game off because of where it's being played, or because of the opponent. This is the worst Geelong side since 2006, by quite a margin, and they are eminently beatable at any ground.

Doesn't mean we'll win of course, and Enright's 300th will be a massive game for them which doesn't help. But unlike 2007-2014, this shouldn't be considered a complete write off.

• Like 6

I think the lack of discipline might be a positive from Viney, if Selwood ducks his head Viney is likely to take it off

Going from Viney's tackle on Weller when he tried the fend last week, I'd say Viney's been doing a lot of work on his tackling. A fend is hard to counter, but Viney seemed to know exactly what he needed to do and executed it brilliantly. The original Hulk Hogan couldn't have done better.

I'd say he's also been doing work on the Selwood family buckle-at-the-knees-and-throw-the-arms-up manoeuvre.

Edited by Akum

So no ruck support at all for Gawnius maximums unless Spencil gets in....couldn't have his as sub though.

Hope he is up to it

Pretty scant pickings really....bloody injury list.

This is definitely a worry mono. No way Gawn can ruck the whole match, and I'm really concerned about rushing Dawes in with his suspect calf that a week ago couldn't last a half at Casey.

Sure, Geelong have injuries to their big men, but unless we pick Spencer, whoever else rucks for what would have to be 1/4 to 1/3 of the game will get smashed. The problem is, if we do pick Spencer, we risk being top-heavy & slow and getting run off our feet.

On the other hand, we're quite short in defence, and if TMac or Dunn can't control Hawkins, we're stuffed.

This is definitely a worry mono. No way Gawn can ruck the whole match, and I'm really concerned about rushing Dawes in with his suspect calf that a week ago couldn't last a half at Casey.

Sure, Geelong have injuries to their big men, but unless we pick Spencer, whoever else rucks for what would have to be 1/4 to 1/3 of the game will get smashed. The problem is, if we do pick Spencer, we risk being top-heavy & slow and getting run off our feet.

On the other hand, we're quite short in defence, and if TMac or Dunn can't control Hawkins, we're stuffed

Not so worried about Hawkins. Stevie J and Motlop moreso. I have confidence that Viney will do a good job on Selwood

Edited by Je Roos Salem

'

I had him in my starting 18 for this week

Didnt have Dawes in though

We were always going to bring Dawes in. We need another KPF to support Jesse.

Not a bad idea either really. Is Bernie a little more disciplined than Viney though? We know Selwood loves to snipe at players, duck his head etc, would he be able to suck Viney in a little easier than Vince?

Viney already gives away too many free kicks. Vince to Selwood for mine. Make Selwood accountable, because Bernie will kick goals on him if he's not.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

I'm not being a pessimist-for-the-sake-of-it here, but the line on sportsbet is 33.5 points to the cats. One glance at our extended bench tells you, there is no way we are getting near that, easy money... 33.5 will be the quarter time margin. FWIW I am pretty happy with where we are headed as a club, but with this fixture and our injury list this can't be anything other than an almighty shelacking. God help us.

• Like 2

On the other hand, we're quite short in defence, and if TMac or Dunn can't control Hawkins, we're stuffed.

Hawkins will walk all over us, but I'd play Howe in the ruck. Seriously.

We were always going to bring Dawes in. We need another KPF to support Jesse.

Viney already gives away too many free kicks. Vince to Selwood for mine. Make Selwood accountable, because Bernie will kick goals on him if he's not.

Agreed. Vince is the giant slayer, give him the biggest gun to match up on every week

Agree also, with Viney's propensity to smash humans, and the greatest ducker that has ever played the game, and the home crowd screaming bloody murder, we would see a lot of white maggots' arms pointing n the opposite direction that we would prefer.

• Like 2

I reckon Vince will go to Selwood, but I'd be tempted to put Viney on him and tell him every time he raises his arm high to make the tackle slip high, continue with it harder and wrench his neck.

Do that a few times and he will stop, or get injured, either way helps us.

• Like 2

We will be slaughtered if we allow them an extra in defence. It will be hard enough with their backs out positioning our forwards and they read it well .

one on one and see how we go.

• Like 1

On the brighter side, only a handful of players on Sunday were there for 186:

Jones - much improved

Dunn - improved

Watts - much improved

Howe - improved a little

Gawn - improved a little

Spencer - maybe improved

Bail - maybe improved

So if all the additions since perform their roles we should avoid a massacre.

Geelong will be looking for %age to get into and stay in the 8 so they will come at us hard.

The key will be the team 'holding it together' when they get a run on.

If heads drop = massacre 10+ goals.

If absorb pressure and keep going, a loss by 6 - 8 goals.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

We have 17 wins in Geelong, and 2 since 1982.

Wow! that is disgusting.

If we were to somehow miraculously win I would buy some Demon flags - hang them outside the car windows and make a special trip down to Geelong.

I think we'll lose by 4-5 goals,

Don't think Geelong are anywhere near the team they used to be, and i think overall we are a better side than we have been, but we don't have the class or polish to beat them at SS yet i don't think.

Wow! that is disgusting.

If we were to somehow miraculously win I would buy some Demon flags - hang them outside the car windows and make a special trip down to Geelong.

Wow indeed, that is one hell of a record. Sometimes I prefer that the stats guys don't post as our stats always provide a reality check against any optimism creeping in. Our stats on anything never come up well. In this case I knew it was bad but not that bad. Another precursor to a depressing weekend of footy. Please let it not be more than 100p. The Geelong faithful must be looking forward to this weekend. Good luck to the diehards making the trip.