Riley, where's the Love!?

picket fence

Still a sub, Viney better at everything and I'm hoping like hell that Toump has had his breakout game, finally thought he looked ok. I did love his attack, in many ways he makes a good matched pair for VDB and I could also see him starting as a rotation for what VDB does allthough VDB has better disposal.

• Like 1

Riley, contested possession count was telling! Of Jimmy's 17 of 20 were uncontested! Different type of player Clint. Perhaps u are trying to wind me up?

Well, you must have loved the 5 contested possessions Riley had then...

Toumpas had 17 UPs, Jones also had 17 UPs, vanders had 16 - it's a huge part of the reason why we won.

And why any team wins; GC, Brisbane, Carlton and us are the only teams averaging less than 200 UPs a game.

Elite company...

I hope all the players got some confidence from the weekend - Riley included, but the biggest reversal of form was for Spencer and Toumpas. I am happy for them, and not still pointlessly bitter about what could have been they way some are.

• Like 4

Could be the perfect sub....sitting there getting angrier and angrier, then come on and explode.

He doesn't "play angry", he just plays it hard & tough & controlled - the cold assassin. In fact I think we got the "controlled aggression" thing just about spot on, and it was the Dogs who were getting a bit frustrated.

For example, early in the third quarter, Bont sling-tackled Jones, legally but probably unnecessarily. A minute or so later Spencer returned the compliment to Bont, and a few of the Dogs started pushing & shoving until the umpire bounced the ball. If you start getting frustrated, you're usually not as effective.

So rather than having pig dog or vdB "angry", I just want them within arm's length of the poor b'staad with the ball.

• Like 4

Well, you must have loved the 5 contested possessions Riley had then...

Toumpas had 17 UPs, Jones also had 17 UPs, vanders had 16 - it's a huge part of the reason why we won.

And why any team wins; GC, Brisbane, Carlton and us are the only teams averaging less than 200 UPs a game.

Elite company...

I hope all the players got some confidence from the weekend - Riley included, but the biggest reversal of form was for Spencer and Toumpas. I am happy for them, and not still pointlessly bitter about what could have been they way some are.

Spot on...

Even during our dark days under Neeld contested possession wasn't our problem.

Yes we got smashed in total possession count including both contested and uncontested - but if you look at contested to uncontested possession ratio then it was clear that we had players in and under but no one spreading to take the ball and run.

We keep hearing about "contested possession" but not enough people recognise that uncontested possession is a direct reflection of gut running, spreading and multiple leading.

We have the worst contested to uncontested ratio in the league with gold coast. We need more outside run.

• Like 1

Spot on...

Yes we got smashed in total possession count including both contested and uncontested - but if you look at contested to uncontested possession ratio then it was clear that we had players in and under but no one spreading to take the ball and run.

We keep hearing about "contested possession" but not enough people recognise that uncontested possession is a direct reflection of gut running, spreading and multiple leading.

We have the worst contested to uncontested ratio in the league with gold coast. We need more outside run.

Against Sydney and Hawthorn in particular we devoted a lot of numbers to the contested ball to try and win that to get in the game. But I agree uncontested is probably our weakness and the likes of vandenBerg and Brayshaw in to the team really helps contested possession. As does the return of Viney and the tagging role Vince does. When you add in Cross and Jones and some good competitors forward and back there should be enough players who can win contested footy.

I suspect the Dogs had a big drop in pressure as we managed some easy possession chains that we probably don't have a right too given our weaknesses in that area. But the run was definitely up and the skills followed.

I will also add that you need clean contested possession to get better uncontested possession and we got clean possession away from the clearances on Sunday.

• Like 4

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay?round=CD_R201501408&matchId=CD_M20150140808&eventType=Goal&seek=6834&videoQuality=high

Footage of Riley's massive tackle just after the restart after Bernie's goal halfway through the last

That toumpas tackle and then repossession after was awesome too.

Coming back from a broken leg ain't easy.

He also got further injuries which required a lot of rehab over the past pre season.

As much as I liked his last quarter and his past few VFL games, I'd still like him to wear the vest this week.

The injuries may mean otherwise. Matt Jones has been ruled out with concussion and the 6 day turn around.

If Jetta is right he will go to the BP. Grimes, H. Or Garland will be called on for half back.

We still need a hard in and under player to go in the centre to help out the BERG.

• Like 3

That toumpas tackle and then repossession after was awesome too.

I was going to post the same thing.

That's so un-Toumpas-like. To me, that really shows how much more confidence he was playing with on Sunday. Let's hope that rolls on.

Riley's tackle was, though, absolute gold.

• Like 2

I was going to post the same thing.

That's so un-Toumpas-like. To me, that really shows how much more confidence he was playing with on Sunday. Let's hope that rolls on.

Riley's tackle was, though, absolute gold.

And if you roll it on about 2-3 mins, you see the point I tried to make about Lumumba's contribution in another thread. Three times in quick succession, he was just in the right place at the right time to stop a Bulldog breakout down that flank. Only one kick to add to his stats in all that, but he held them up 3 times to keep the ball inside our 50. Sure, he didn't have a great game, but he just put himself in the right place at the right time so often.

And while I'm rolling the tape, another great bit of play by Riley just after that. The Dogs again tried to make a break and Fitz was under the ball with Dickson, and although Fitz is much taller, it could have been nasty if he'd let it go over the back. Riley made metres to get his body to the contest between the other two, and turned a tricky mark into an easy mark for Fitz. You could argue that perhaps it made no difference, and he could have just jogged past the contest for a possible spill.

But he seems constitutionally incapable of "just jogging past the contest", without throwing himself into it!

Edited by Akum
  • Like 3

Spot on...

......and good disposal. All the other requirements you mentioned come to absolutely nil if the disposal is crap. It was (generally) overall a lot better Sunday.

I have been critical about lack of gut running and those without the ball offering options for years: knowing that a lead will be honored and that there is a good chance that the ball will actually reach you ( or the teammate for whom you have made the space / drawn the opponent) must make a load of difference to both the guy with the ball and the guy making the lead and / or space.

Edited by monoccular

Clearly no love at Selection, Perfect chance to go head to head with Ollie Wines, Viney?? The question marks linger over fitness!

For Mine, Riley being overlooked might prove costly! The guy is a maniac for the ball.

The non selection makes sense to me, bail played his role well and Riley was never going to be selected as a defensive forward, and matt jones offers speed

Club clearly felt they had enough inside grunt in jones, Viney, Vanders, brayshaw, vince, cross

The non selection makes sense to me, bail played his role well and Riley was never going to be selected as a defensive forward, and matt jones offers speed

Club clearly felt they had enough inside grunt in jones, Viney, Vanders, brayshaw, vince, cross

Yes thought so too. Viney at this stage is just a better midfielder than Riley, but geez I loved Rileys efforts last week. Good thing to know we have some competition.

I thought last week Bail and Jones were very good defensively and very poor offensively. but without them the doggies would have had more time and space.

Clearly no love at Selection, Perfect chance to go head to head with Ollie Wines, Viney?? The question marks linger over fitness!

For Mine, Riley being overlooked might prove costly! The guy is a maniac for the ball.

Wines isn't exactly at peak fitness either

He's just come back from an injury last week and was ginger.

I loved that too, but surprised he didn't get pinged for holding the man by swinging him around. We often cop that....

My take is that if you drop the ball after being tackle then you are at mercy of the tackler for a swing around as long as it's not an unfair hold.

The truly impressive part of that play for mine was Toumpas baulk and lateral movement to avoid the oncoming tackler.

That's what he needs to do to find space for himself and if he's finding space he'll be a player.