Trading Future Draft Picks is coming to the AFL

SaberFang

According to Caro, it'll be here in 2016 with a maximum of two years of draft picks allowed to be traded (ie, in the 2016 trade period, clubs will be allowed to trade picks for 2017 and 2018 only.)

I guess the idea is to help clubs rebuild faster? Thank goodness Roos will know what he's doing when this is introduced, as he's been campaigning for it for ages.

Thank goodness Roos will know what he's doing when this is introduced, as he's been campaigning for it for ages.

Roos will be gone by then... unless he stays on at the MFC in another role.

Will this mean players can/will be traded against there will?

This will potentially damn smaller clubs further. If they do not have the internal personal in place to be best placed to identify players, you will see teams trade away draft picks for good players who may be on the way out, or for players or are NQR. I look to the Washington NFL team as an example. Only 1 example but I fear smaller clubs who can't spend as much in the player talent identification side of things may get this wrong and spend another 5 years in the wood pile.

I should add I think equalisation should be the main focus to assist clubs in being more competitive, clubs being able to better identify draft talent and develop that talent.

Edited by Cards13

Will this mean players can/will be traded against there will?

This will potentially damn smaller clubs further. If they do not have the internal personal in place to be best placed to identify players, you will see teams trade away draft picks for good players who may be on the way out, or for players or are NQR. I look to the Washington NFL team as an example. Only 1 example but I fear smaller clubs who can't spend as much in the player talent identification side of things may get this wrong and spend another 5 years in the wood pile.

I should add I think equalisation should be the main focus to assist clubs in being more competitive, clubs being able to better identify draft talent and develop that talent.

This is a part of that. If Roos was able to package future picks - our turn around would be faster.

Using US sports again - in the NBA, Dallas do not draft kids, the owner doesn't believe in development - they go out and trade away picks for undervalued, known commodities and they do it very well. They use the functionality of future picks to do this.

This is a means, not an end, it is up to the clubs what path they take and where they end up.

I trust the club at the moment not to get lost.

Edited by rpfc

The thing i've seen with this type of set up in other sports is it maybe sounds better than it is, a first round pick from the MFC in 2017 isn't worth as much as a first round pick now because pick 5 this year, might see us improve a whole lot and be pick 14-15 by 2017

every future pick is serious devalued compared to the picks you have in hand because of the uncertainty, so really they will mean more deals get done because they're thrown in as steak knives but the team trading them straight up won't get the same value as waiting for them

Certainly adds an interesting element and will allow more deals to get done quicker. I guess you have to take into consideration if you think that side is on the rise or on the slide e.g. trade for Geelong's first rounder in 2017 and you may be looking at a top 3 pick, but who knows.

im thinking....yeah :roos:

Clubs will have to be smart about this. Let's imagine that it was introduced this year and let's imagine we trade our 2017 first round pick for Harley Bennell.

In 2 years, we might be pushing for the top four (= pick 15-18) or we could still be languishing in the bottom four (= pick 1-4). Bennell is definitely worth a pick in the first category and definitely not worth a pick in the second category.

Clubs will have to be realistic about who to target and not just assume they'll be near the top in the future. Most clubs are guilty of overrating their future.

I reckon this is a terrible idea. Footy is already a cut-throat industry where everyone feels under pressure to keep their job. This just gives coaches and list managers of under performing teams much greater scope to destroy a club than they already have. Look at Bribane post Crazy Vossy. Imagine if he'd sold off two more years of draft picks as well!

I think AFL is already characterised by desperate individuals making self-serving, short-sighted decisions, and this will only exacerbate the problem.

I reckon this is a terrible idea. Footy is already a cut-throat industry where everyone feels under pressure to keep their job. This just gives coaches and list managers of under performing teams much greater scope to destroy a club than they already have. Look at Bribane post Crazy Vossy. Imagine if he'd sold off two more years of draft picks as well!

I think AFL is already characterised by desperate individuals making self-serving, short-sighted decisions, and this will only exacerbate the problem.

Well, we kept all our picks from 2007 to 2012 and look where it got us...

The decision to not trade away picks is a decision, and it can be just as poor a decision as trading for average talent.

I don't think this will do anything other than offer more opportunity to clubs - for good and bad.

I think they're actually talking about moving to a "points" system. So where you finish on the ladder determines how many points you get, and then you "bid" points on a draft pick number. The highest bid wins. You could spend all your points to get pick 1, but then not have anything else (or I guess be forced to retain enough to have the last 2 picks to make the 3 pick minimum).

So trading future picks isn't actually trading picks, it's trading points that you would then use to bid in the next year.

I like the idea. I think the NFL uses a similar system.

I think they're actually talking about moving to a "points" system. So where you finish on the ladder determines how many points you get, and then you "bid" points on a draft pick number. The highest bid wins. You could spend all your points to get pick 1, but then not have anything else (or I guess be forced to retain enough to have the last 2 picks to make the 3 pick minimum).

So trading future picks isn't actually trading picks, it's trading points that you would then use to bid in the next year.

I like the idea. I think the NFL uses a similar system.

Yes, that is for the FS kids and the Academy kids, but there is also a mention toward trading future picks as a part of the normal dealing of trade week.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-plans-usstyle-draft-days-20150513-gh13zg.html

Edited by rpfc

Yes, that is for the FS kids and the Academy kids, but there is also a mention toward trading future picks as a part of the normal dealing of trade week.

Not sure how that'd work, given the value of a future pick could fluctuate wildly given a team's position at the end of the season.

The points system makes more sense to me if they want to go down the trading of future picks route. Not sure why they'd only do it for FS and Academy.

Not sure how that'd work, given the value of a future pick could fluctuate wildly given a team's position at the end of the season.

The points system makes more sense to me if they want to go down the trading of future picks route. Not sure why they'd only do it for FS and Academy.

I really don't know what you are referring to about the 'more sense for points system' and the NFL also allows trading of future picks.

According to Caro, it'll be here in 2016 with a maximum of two years of draft picks allowed to be traded (ie, in the 2016 trade period, clubs will be allowed to trade picks for 2017 and 2018 only.)

I guess the idea is to help clubs rebuild faster? Thank goodness Roos will know what he's doing when this is introduced, as he's been campaigning for it for ages.

You p1ssa.

We now will have to sift through 843 pages of 17,16,15,and 14 year olds to see what our future is going to be.

... I'd hope we cam offer Roosy & family a position at Melbourne during the Hawaiian summer. having him about the club can only help entrench the new altitudes & cultures.

common AFL,,, lets see your creativeness to help this old ship stay sailing on course.

I'm very scared

We've been prendergasted before the only thing worse would be prendergasted into the future.

It was an extremely nasty case of pendergastritis and whilst it has left some mental scars the new recruiting team are performing some wonderful cosmetic surgery.

• Like 1